Sign in to follow this  
pjay

Would you sell your collection to have one Gen?

pjay

I like most of you here have a few reps and other cheaper watches, but would you sell them to have your favourite gen?

Reason i ask is I have the chance too.

Leigh

NO

amuthon

I would sell my wife, even for a Silix special...

pjay

Not even if it was the watch you'd always wanted and the gen of the rep you always wear ;)

T9000

No.

Gens are lovely things, but with reps you can have ten of your favourites for a couple of thousand dollars. You can barely buy a decent gen for that.

chum_2000_uk

I wouldn't... I've only had expensive reps so far, and have had a few Omega gens; seamasters... the reps are so good these days that I'd take a few high-end reps over a single gen any day.

If I had a massive rep collection (which I don't - only 2 right now), I'd consider cutting it down in order to get a gen, but never get rid of all reps. I can't have just one watch for long. I feel as though I need at least 2 nice watches. I don't think I could ever have more than say 10 watches, gen or rep though. I just couldn't justify the expense, or owning that many watches... most would probably never get wrist time.

T9000

I wouldn't... I've only had expensive reps so far, and have had a few Omega gens; seamasters... the reps are so good these days that I'd take a few high-end reps over a single gen any day.

If I had a massive rep collection (which I don't - only 2 right now), I'd consider cutting it down in order to get a gen, but never get rid of all reps. I can't have just one watch for long. I feel as though I need at least 2 nice watches. I don't think I could ever have more than say 10 watches, gen or rep though. I just couldn't justify the expense, or owning that many watches... most would probably never get wrist time.

+1

Good post.

stewzzy

Nope I would rather have the variety. I have the rep of my favourite watch but I wouldnt wear it everyday even if it were gen. You get sick of the same watch eventually IMO. I just prefer the novelty of changing watches on a monthly, weekly or even daily basis. Whats the gen your going to get??

Jools
No.

Gens are lovely things, but with reps you can have ten of your favourites for a couple of thousand dollars. You can barely buy a decent gen for that.

Have to agree , I have a few gens too but like to try out new watches and have a good variety , the reps are great for this and for daily beaters, don't have to worry too much if it gets lost of damaged , don't get me wrong I look after my reps well but I would be more gutted to loose or damage a gen if you know what I mean :-0

Corv99

No for me... the first Gen service will cost more than a big part of your old collection!

chum_2000_uk

I work with a couple of people who have gen Rolex sub's... one wears his every day, the other basically never wears his. I really don't see the point in owning a sub just to wear it for extra special occasions. Yes they are worth a lot of money, but they are tool watches not bloody dress watches. Pointless.

myaz

ONLY if it bothers you internally to be wearing reps and that somehow makes you feel less of a man.

Consider that, for instance a Rolex has $350 worth of parts. Can you now justify spending 5-7K for one?

I'd actually feel ripped off buying a gen and I have several which predate RWG.

pjay

I'm kind of agreeing with you all, its just I have the chance to buy my dream watch at a reasonable price but in all honesty its identicle to the rep

jdoe

I have a Gen, no need to sell anything :suck:

myaz

member gottahaverolex recently went through a long similar dilemma and ended up getting a PAM after many pages on a thread. You might want to search that thread for an account of his tribulations if that interests you

pjay

I have a Gen, no need to sell anything :suck:

Haha yep I cant justify the price without off loading a few reps first, but I've just had a look at what i can sell and I dont want to sell any ;)

So the deal is off for now

Del

No for me either. I love having the variety of reps and selling them on to buy new ones every so often - that's part of the fun. If I sold the lot and bought a gen (and I mean a serious gen like an auto PAM at £5k or whatever) then I reckon I'd get bored pretty quickly with it.

And I agree with corv - you will need to have the gen serviced eventually to keep it's value and that doesn't come cheap. Midasmook was telling me recently that a guy he knows with a Sub told him it had stopped working and that it was going to cost him £500 to get it repaired and serviced! Midas said he'd be able to get him three new ones for that money! :rofl:

conx

No, I'd find something else to sell and have the best of both worlds, a gen AND all my reps.

HWG

i had a gen and several reps.... just sold it yesterday because I want more reps. The rep quality is great, and this gives me the chance to try more styles without major expense.

NFleischer

It depends on the gen. Maybe for a gold Patek. Not for an Oris!

pjay

What about panerai?

dalboy

NO WAY JOSE'

DeLaForce
I would sell my wife, even for a Silix special...

:rofl:

ScottDy

I have an Omega Constellation that I bought around 20 years ago, I paid around $3000.00 for it and wore it every day until about 2 years ago (mostly because it was expensive enough that I couldn't justify buying another gen even though I really wanted one) When I started getting into this rep hobby, I was able to wear a variety of nice watches and not feel guilty about letting the others sit in my watch box. Now my gen Omega just sits in my watch box with all my reps and I never wear it anymore. I thought about buying a few gens but it just doesn't make sense to spend that much money on one watch when I can buy 10 super reps for the same amount of money.

pjay

I have an Omega Constellation that I bought around 20 years ago, I paid around $3000.00 for it and wore it every day until about 2 years ago (mostly because it was expensive enough that I couldn't justify buying another gen even though I really wanted one) When I started getting into this rep hobby, I was able to wear a variety of nice watches and not feel guilty about letting the others sit in my watch box. Now my gen Omega just sits in my watch box with all my reps and I never wear it anymore. I thought about buying a few gens but it just doesn't make sense to spend that much money on one watch when I can buy 10 super reps for the same amount of money.

good point well made.

Those of you with gens do you wear them more than reps?