Sign in to follow this  
pjay

Would you sell your collection to have one Gen?

gtwc

maybe for a Greubel-Forsey Triple Tourbillon, a Patek Sky-Moon, the new IWC mega-complication..............

but I'd still be 100's of 1000's short.

So no.

Enjoy the variety, and wear lots.

:giggle:

digger2

I can sell some reps to buy a gen. I think it is worth the money sometimes to buy some gens to have real water proof diving watches with perfect lume and great movement and also be able to tell some people that thinks all your watches are fake that this actual watch actually costs like 5000 USD if you go to the store and buy it.

honeybear

I would liquidate the part of my replica collection which I didn't wear too often, if it was for a truly nice watch, like a A. Lange & Sohne, Patek Philiippe, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin, or Jaeger-LeCoultre. I currently have one high end gen, a Vacheron Constantin Overseas, and I'm saving up for a gen JLC Grande Reverso Duo. The rest of my gen collection consists of watches under $500. I would only really do this for watches with a high-end movement, like the JLC ebauche used in my VC Overseas, or the in-house JLC movement in the Grande Reverso Duo.

I have sold off a bunch of replicas, including two AP Royal Oaks, a Lange Datograph, a Rolex Paul Newman Daytona, and a Franck Muller Crazy Hours. It takes a measure of will power, and it's helped by the fact that I still have the replicas which I wear regularly, like the Patek Nautilus and Patek Calatravas, as well as cool replicas which I don't wear too frequently, but which are fun to look at, like the VC Patrimony Chronograph, and JLC Master Tourbillon.

I wouldn't do this for a Panerai, just because the replicas are truly amazing, unless of course you're considering a Panerai with an in-house movement, or an unusual complication, like the 3 or 8 day power reserve.

pollux1

Gens are great to have, but I can honestly say I wear some of my reps more often. Some that, to me at least are as good as gen are the v1 3717, PAM 008 Ferrari and of course Robert's Cartier Santos 100xl, those three I wouldn't ever even dream of buying the gen to replace as the rep is every bit as good.

gazzy

No,I'm scared of scratching or damaging my reps,they're like treasured possesions,I'd never leave the house wearing a gen.

Dendo

Reps and gens for all the reasons stated.

I just love the confidence you get with a gen and the variety of watch you can afford with reps.

Get the best of both worlds.

Mike 1108

I have been collecting watches for 15+ years. I have gens - TAGs, an Omega Seamaster (bought new 10 years ago), a couple of Oris and Hamiltons, a Marice Lacroix, a Baume and Mercier, a Deep Blue, and 3 or 4 homage watches (sterile Parnis watches). I've been looking at the reps for about 6 or 7 months and have ordered a watch from RSea, and plan to buy/order a vintage SM300 and PAM312 or PAM359 soon.

A lot of my gens sit for months before I wear them, some I wear in a regular rotation - the less expensive watches get worn as often as the brand watches. I'm just as excited about the rep 6152/1 as any gen I can imagine. My gens get normal wear and tear, so I'd think twice about wearing a $5k-10k watch all the time.

So, sapphire crystal, reliable movement and a classic, clean style. I can imagine buying a more expensive gen or two - with unique in-house movements - someday. But I wouldn't give up everything for any one watch.

Mike

PS. A guy in my office just bought a $7k IWC in Dec. He had to have it sent off for service (5 weeks) in Jan. Gens don't necessarily mean great quality.

Luthier

FUCK NO!!!

myaz

PS. A guy in my office just bought a $7k IWC in Dec. He had to have it sent off for service (5 weeks) in Jan. Gens don't necessarily mean great quality.

My mom once got an Omega for an anniversary. Got sent back several times and never worked right. She eventually gave up if I recall.

I could live, and have lived with that with a rep, but would be livid if I spent whatever was spent on that gen.

Mystery Shopper

NO, even before I bought reps, I used to alternate between 3 (low end) gens- Tag, Tissot & Seiko kinetic.

It is all about variety.

sequoia

I'm actually in the opposite position. I am currently selling one of my gen's to fund several rep's. I am new to the rep world but have the bug after buying a DSSD from Mary recently. I like to wear a different watch frequently so am hoping to be able to buy 3-4 highend rep's with the proceeds from the gen sale. I still have a few gen's and will probably hold onto them but the quality of the highend rep's allows me to have a number of watches and still maintain great time pieces.

wiggindude

When I have the fund, I'll probably get a gen BR03-92.

flmthrwr

Absolutely not!!

The gen bubble burst for me when I took a gen for service and was quoted $300 and 3 months!! In 1976 yet!! Watch still runs fine, never been opened up, so that was the end of servicing.

The other thing that really put me off was watching a video on this site that said a Brietling watch takes 14 months to make.That bloke wouldn't be working for me for long.

Buying a gen is a bit like queueing up to be ripped off.

watch.aholic

Nope...I like diversity in everything :-)

sms

I can't understand why people are willing to pay so much for a watch, even if the money is insignificant compared to net worth. I feel no differently about value now than I did 40 years ago when I had no money in the bank and couldn't pay my rent if I got sick and couldn't go to work. I guess it would be different if you were born rich, but I can't put myself into that frame of reference. Besides, the replicas, and even many low end gens are very nice and there are thousands of choices. My problem is that I want everything I see.

Jools

I have an Omega Constellation that I bought around 20 years ago, I paid around $3000.00 for it and wore it every day until about 2 years ago (mostly because it was expensive enough that I couldn't justify buying another gen even though I really wanted one) When I started getting into this rep hobby, I was able to wear a variety of nice watches and not feel guilty about letting the others sit in my watch box. Now my gen Omega just sits in my watch box with all my reps and I never wear it anymore. I thought about buying a few gens but it just doesn't make sense to spend that much money on one watch when I can buy 10 super reps for the same amount of money.

good point well made.

Those of you with gens do you wear them more than reps?

Yep just not as daily beaters normaly , all of my gens are dive watches so I wear them well for diving , a rep just wouldn't withstand this , but for everyday wear I'm more than happy with my reps , they do everything I need them to when at work etc at a fraction of the price :)

Mazz

Yes

Depends on the watch though

Dendo

Amazed at the conformity in opinion particularly of the newer forum members.

Guess this is a rep website :lol: so maybe I should not be surprized at the love of reps over gens.

watchmonger

I have a gen Omega Seamaster (purchased 12 years ago) that I wear most often - the watch is currently w/ Chris (CLS) for service. I also have a gen Concord Saratoga chrono, which I wear maybe five times per month. My current rep collection, which I started last year - BK Submariner, blacked out GMT Master II Pro Hunter edition, and an Omega Seamaster Chrono (en route from Mary). I can see the benefits of both sides, which others have pointed to.

Now, if I had a larger rep collection and had the opportunity to sell it to get a gen "dream watch"...would I do it? My answer is an unabashed NO...I enjoy too much the variety that I have in the high quality reps. As others have said, the higher-end reps nowadays are so high quality that it's even hard to tell one from the other.

honeybear

When I hear that a gen "dream watch" isn't worth it, irrespective of one's net worth, I just think that one should set one's sights higher. Look at watches which have a nicer or more unique movement than just an elaborately finished ETA movement.

I'm not suggesting that one get into consumer debt, raid your retirement savings, or your children's college fund, but if you're financially able, then I don't think that getting a nice gen is any crazier than getting a nice car, for example. When you're able, get a nice gen or two, and fulfill your need for variety with a collection of high end reps as well. These are not mutually exclusive paths.

tesmith2112

ONLY if it bothers you internally to be wearing reps and that somehow makes you feel less of a man.

Consider that, for instance a Rolex has $350 worth of parts. Can you now justify spending 5-7K for one?

I'd actually feel ripped off buying a gen and I have several which predate RWG.

Where did you hear rolex materials are only $350? I'd like to read about that.

Mazz

When I hear that a gen "dream watch" isn't worth it, irrespective of one's net worth, I just think that one should set one's sights higher. Look at watches which have a nicer or more unique movement than just an elaborately finished ETA movement.

I'm not suggesting that one get into consumer debt, raid your retirement savings, or your children's college fund, but if you're financially able, then I don't think that getting a nice gen is any crazier than getting a nice car, for example. When you're able, get a nice gen or two, and fulfill your need for variety with a collection of high end reps as well. These are not mutually exclusive paths.

I agree whole heartedly................

kolchak

After finding this site I immediately sold a gen rollie exp 2, a couple tags & with in 16 months I palayed them into 20+ high reps & learned more about watches than all my prior years combined. I could buy nice gens but it's more likely I'll sell more gens. collecting rep watches has become an unintended obsession,

OP - what is the grail gen your hung up on & could wear everyday?

latara785

I think if one person must sell his rep collection or anything else to fund a Gen purchase, that person shouldn't have consider buying a gen at all. If you cant afford to buy a Gen and keep you replicas, then don't buy the gen.

sam77

NO!!! i have a gen rolex daytona ..........but i like and enjoy more my 127e noob factory or my 187G

believe me it is boring just to have one ,you can save for a gen but don't sell your reps ,you will miss them :noway: