Sign in to follow this  
pjay

Would you sell your collection to have one Gen?

schmooze

No. For the last 20 years I would buy the occasional second hand omega or tag. Then My wife wanted to buy me a gen DSSD @ 11K as a gift. I couldn't justify the spend and purchased a new motor bike instead. I really liked the gen DSSD and then went looking for a decent rep, stumbled across this site, purchased a BK modded DSSD and many more reps followed.

The only gens I purchase theses days are technogically advanced Citizen promasters or similar and the occasional seiko diver.

The swiss can stick their overpriced gens up their bums.

ReplicaFromDownunder

TBH, this is a great question. For me personally it went the other way around in my head.

"Would you sell your gen, to become a nut case and own a variety of rep's"

Yes I have!

I had a gen Tag Heuer Carrera 41mm chrono, yeah it was nice,. Cost me about $2800. The reality of the matter is I was just another shit kicker putting along in a Tag in Australia. (Many Aussie's wear tag's.) I was so protective and all anal over this watch. I would not rest my wrist on tables. I put paper toweling down if I was taking it off. All the nut case things.

I was so anal about it that one time I took it off to change a friend’s internal car light, you know the screw types. It was a chick, helping out. Took the watch off and rested it on my lap, didn't want to scratch it. In doing so, I finished the job got out of the car and (not realizing) the tag was on my lap. It fell off my lap and onto the stone on the floor. I thought shit, picked it up and the gen crystal was dinted. Slightly, but I was shattered! I couldn’t even wear it again, it wasn't even noticeable but to me it was! Every time I would look at that slight dent on the angle with light.

In summary, you can't avoid or protect damage even little scratches from wear and tear. So I sold it for around $2000 on ebay. Got two Grand Carrera rep's and it started - two $400 rep's = $800 in my first transaction from Josh at PC.

Instantly got more respect wearing a Brown or Black Grand Carrera Calibre 16 than my gen Tag Carrera.

Gen $2800 vs Rep $398.

In backing rep's, there is nothing like having a watch box full of them and waking up thinking..

which one - panerai, rolex, IWC etc you get the drift.... I Couldn't afford to do that with gen's! Maybe casio's/fossil watches!

Another short story:

I recently got a SOH V2 from Mary, as you may know. I was wearing this and going down to a local store picking up a rental trailer, then onto the local tip to drop rubbish. Yes I was wearing the SOH to the tip. But I took it off when it got to moving rubbish. The owner of it had a SOH Chrono. Mine was non chrono, we got talking about it. He said yeah I love my SOH mate, I just had it serviced all the oil got dried up in the movement. It was because I only wore it once every few months and stuff.

The watch dealer charged me $800AU for it. It wasn't a rep BTW, this guy is cashed up.

I acted all concered and shit, thinking yeah that's crap. In my head, I am thinking i could of purchased 2 SOH's for that price. Black and blue! Or if mine stuffed up, I am sure my dealer (Mary!) would fix it for me. Even for a small fee.

That same day When I got the trailer to the house, I was moving rubbish. I put the SOH on a camping chair with my wedding band. Don't want to damage them. Then my mother comes trolling out and moves the chair to grab rubbish, in doing so - the SOH goes for a flier with my wedding band. Hitting full speed on the concrete! I said "F^&" wasn't loud, went to pick it up closing my eyes - thinking not my SOH. Why not a timeshop rolex.. haha..

It is not even noticable, slighest mark. So it's All good!!

If that were gen though? I would be majorily pissed off.

Sorry I am dragging this post out, but I thought I'd share my thoughts!

You lose a lot more with gen watch (servicing/value loss) and gain a whole lot more wearing a rep.

pjay

I think if one person must sell his rep collection or anything else to fund a Gen purchase, that person shouldn't have consider buying a gen at all. If you cant afford to buy a Gen and keep you replicas, then don't buy the gen.

It's not that I couldn't afford to buy the gen outright, I could . It's just the fact that my rep collection is quite big and pretty valuable and I couldn't justify having 7k tied up in watches when I only where 2 or 3 as it is.

I also think if I owned a gen the others wouldn't be used I don't display them they just sit waiting to be used .

GC

my answer is yes...but only if the Gen was the Rolex 14060 my father bought me for my 18th. It was stolen, so if i could have that watch back i would gladly trade my Rep collection for it.

It's sentimental

greg_r

I like most of you here have a few reps and other cheaper watches, but would you sell them to have your favourite gen?

Reason i ask is I have the chance too.

I sold my gens when I started buying reps, so no....

Buddalondon

No way. I think that even if I had the gen of my favourite - the fact that it cost £20,000 would take all the fun out of it for me. I love that I can get so much variety for so little. Also quality wise - when they are so close what's the point. I have a couple of gens I wear less and less the more I get into reps. :)

Edited by Buddalondon

conx

I suspect that even if you did sell your reps and buy a gen, you would only buy more reps over time to replace those you sold. You can't get away from this obsession we call a hobby!

ajs914

Where did you hear rolex materials are only $350? I'd like to read about that.

Maybe someone has done some thoughtful analysis on this subject but it's not hard to price the parts and do some comparisons. I mean, I have a "high end" Invicta diver (made in Switzerland, Swiss Selita SW200 movement, rated to 200M water resistance) and it only cost $350. So at $350 retail, Selita made money, Invicta made money, and the retailer made money. How much do you think it costs to manufacture that watch? How much more could a Rolex Sub cost to manufacture? My guess is not much more than the Invicta.

Now that I'm in the rep game, I'm pondering selling my gen Seamaster GMT. I paid $1300 for it 12 years ago and now it's worth about $1800. The best thing I can say about this watch is that it has actually gone up in value. My one gen watch regret is not buying a Sea-Dweller instead of that Seamaster. I was holding a new Sea-Dweller in my hand and it could have been mine for $3500. I just couldn't justify spending that much on a watch even though I could have swung it. The regret is that the Sea-Dweller is still my grail and a used example is worth significantly more than $3500 now. If a used Sea-Dweller was worth less today I wouldn't have the regret.

But, the only reason that Omegas and Rolexes have gone up in value is because new versions cost so much more. World-wide wealth has increased - dot com millionaires and new millionaires being minted in China and other parts of the world every day. The demand for high end watches, like 1st growth Bordeaux wines is at an all time high because of this new money. Rolex and Omega keep pushing prices and limiting supply and it actually increases demand because it makes the product even more exclusive.

Dendo

No. For the last 20 years I would buy the occasional second hand omega or tag. Then My wife wanted to buy me a gen DSSD @ 11K as a gift. I couldn't justify the spend and purchased a new motor bike instead. I really liked the gen DSSD and then went looking for a decent rep, stumbled across this site, purchased a BK modded DSSD and many more reps followed.

The only gens I purchase theses days are technogically advanced Citizen promasters or similar and the occasional seiko diver.

The swiss can stick their overpriced gens up their bums.

:lol:

+1

Problem is the Swiss would probably enjoy that..........

myaz

ONLY if it bothers you internally to be wearing reps and that somehow makes you feel less of a man.

Consider that, for instance a Rolex has $350 worth of parts. Can you now justify spending 5-7K for one?

I'd actually feel ripped off buying a gen and I have several which predate RWG.

Where did you hear rolex materials are only $350? I'd like to read about that.

It was on this forum. Can't remember if it was a direct quote or a link from the post but it was here. Obviously cost of gold would be extra

Dendo

............. He said yeah I love my SOH mate, I just had it serviced all the oil got dried up in the movement. It was because I only wore it once every few months and stuff. The watch dealer charged me $800AU for it................

I read a while back that oil drying up because of watch movement inactivity was BS. The explanation centered around the fact that the oil is in a well near a crystal and never moves whether the watch is in use or not. Over many years the oil needs to be replaced but it has nothing to do with whether the watch is kept running or not.

Having said that however - I run my watches about once every month - I listen to everyone's theories, take them all in, but do everything in moderation.

Inushuk

nop ! If I want a Gen I'll go to an AD to buy one ... but won't sell my rep collection...

I'll sell some reps to buy other reps ... because it is fun and it is the game....

tommy_boy

Those of you with gens do you wear them more than reps?

I don't wear my reps outside the house, so, yeah the gens have all the fun.

I sold all but three reps (and some other stuff) to fund the gens and don't regret it a bit.

Every rep I sold, save for a Narikaa PO, gave me grief. Some were $88, some close to $300.

honeybear

I read a while back that oil drying up because of watch movement inactivity was BS. The explanation centered around the fact that the oil is in a well near a crystal and never moves whether the watch is in use or not. Over many years the oil needs to be replaced but it has nothing to do with whether the watch is kept running or not.

Having said that however - I run my watches about once every month - I listen to everyone's theories, take them all in, but do everything in moderation.

I think the principal is similar to oil changes for cars, there is a recommended oil change frequency due to the oil deteriorating, and that frequency is increased with heavy use. I don't think modern watch oils will dry out, this seems to be more an issue before synthetic watch oils. Most of the oil in a watch are held in the cup shaped depression of a jewel bearing, and held there by capillary action. This is why a watch needs to be oiled precisely, and not over oiled, since if the jewel cup is over filled, then the oil will leach out by capillary action, leaving the jewel dry.

latara785

I think if one person must sell his rep collection or anything else to fund a Gen purchase, that person shouldn't have consider buying a gen at all. If you cant afford to buy a Gen and keep you replicas, then don't buy the gen.

It's not that I couldn't afford to buy the gen outright, I could . It's just the fact that my rep collection is quite big and pretty valuable and I couldn't justify having 7k tied up in watches when I only where 2 or 3 as it is.

I also think if I owned a gen the others wouldn't be used I don't display them they just sit waiting to be used .

Just a general comment, not directed to you at all mate. No doubt must members here can afford a Gen watch and even more than that. But your case is a totally different ball game than having to sell your entire rep collection in order to buy a gen. Selling what you don't consider making the cut to be part of your collection anymore is not the same. Just my two cents.

honeybear

If you truly believe that this gen is your dream watch, and you would wear it all the time, leaving your replica collection collecting dust, then it seems to me you have your answer about what you should do. I think most of the members are responding from the perspective that they could never commit to just one watch, and would miss the variety.

To me, you know that a watch is special, and suitable for a gen purchase, if you find that you're always wearing the replica, and your other replicas aren't getting as much wrist time. And if you know that you're the sort of person who would be comfortable enjoying the gen watch, and won't obsess about scratches and other indignities that a watch worn daily is subject to, then it makes sense.

In your position, I would sell off the part of the replica collection which never gets worn, and buy the gen dream watch. If, after your gen purchase, your remaining replica collection doesn't get worn anymore, then go ahead and sell of the rest of the collection. Dibs on your cool stuff when you put it up for sale. :)

Member X

It would have to be a very versatile watch to just have one!

2010 Explorer 39mm or PAM112 are the only ones I've got that are really versatile, IMHO.

OlympusDaytona

I'd give up my reps for something with three or more tourbillons... except it still wouldn't be enough money :unsure:

MJC

Depends on the genuine piece...

I may be the minority, not a braggar/or bragging but my collection is actually made up of high end gen pieces, and just a slight few reps.. The reps I have chosen to buy I usually wound up getting the genuine example (pam 359, 000, ap roo rubber clad) I appreciate them all.. Honestly, sometimes i think wow, I can't believe just how good it is, why spend all of this money on a rep piece? Well, yes build quality and components are different and of much higher quality/caliber and reliability USUALLY on a high end piece.. But truly and honestly, I just can't wear something that it's not.. And the real deal, it is not, I feel like i'm posing :/

My quick thoughts, do you wear all of your reps? Do you sometimes tend to wear one more so than the others, have you lost a little appreciation for a few or all considering hving too many options? It has happened to me

Sometimes I have thought about selling off 5-8 pieces and keeping like 2 to wear, to really enjoy and appreciate them more..

So pending your price range and the piece, and whether you think you'll love it and take pride in that one piece to wear on a daily basis and through every occasion, I suggest go for it.

Luthier

Gens??? Fuck it. Waste of money. You better feed a thousand of hungry kids, than buy a gen.

highergame

man if it's a watch you've always wanted and having the gen doesn't seem to be as good as you want I'd go for it in a heart beat. In the end it's your money and you earned it .... plus only you knows how you feel about having a rep on your wrist vs the gen thing. I'd say for most of us here there is no reason to buy the gen and the rep. is just as good if not better because you can wear more watches for the same amount of money. But thats why were all here on a rep. board go ask on a gen. board and they will tell you they wouldn't ever own a single rep. so it's just all a matter of a choice and what you personally think/ feel is better. What does this watch look like? post a pic for everyone I curious what watch has you so in love??

sam77

NO WAY JOSEY!!! :giggle:

Crusader

I don't own lots of reps, but if I was obliged to own just one gen, I would probably go for watch which looks good on rubber, bracelet and leather. But it probably wouldn't be Panerai because of the size. Maybe Omega SMP.

gottahaverolex

I did sell everything rep related and I'm glad I did. Reps are cool and all but no rep in the world has the same feel, look or quality of the real deal. It started to bother me that I was trying to fool myself into being ok with reps. It's just who I am and I'm in no way putting reps down. But personally, I get total satisfaction out of my gens and I was never satisfied with reps no matter how many I had or how good they were. Gen is gen.

DFH

I did sell everything rep related and I'm glad I did. Reps are cool and all but no rep in the world has the same feel, look or quality of the real deal. It started to bother me that I was trying to fool myself into being ok with reps. It's just who I am and I'm in no way putting reps down. But personally, I get total satisfaction out of my gens and I was never satisfied with reps no matter how many I had or how good they were. Gen is gen.

To each his own, and I am very glad you are happy with your gens, and very happy you got rid of your reps, as I ended up with your Donerix EGI!!! :giggle: Even if I were to sell my reps for a gen, I would never sell the EGI - it's so unique, and a real piece af art, IMHO!! Cheers GHR!!