Sign in to follow this  
pjay

Would you sell your collection to have one Gen?

The King

My perfect collection is mix of Gens (Rolex, Breitling & Seiko at the minute) and Reps (Rolex, Breitling, Panerai, Omega, etc.)

I wouldn't sell either for the other and I wear them "both" (gens and reps) in equal measure. :)

sms

No Way. what would I do when I can't sleep?

collection.jpg

pamsandhomages2rows.jpg

iwcs.jpg

sinnunchopardpatekvcbvlgariold.jpg

omegas.jpg

breitlingsandnologo.jpg

rolex.jpg

gens.jpg

tags.jpg

jigsaw

Hell no. I have a few gens, and for the most part enjoy wearing my reps more

Del

Gens??? Fuck it. Waste of money. You better feed a thousand of hungry kids, than buy a gen.

So, that's a no then Luth? :giggle:

It's funny, I just had a conversation about this subject with a colleague at work today (over a wee sneaky Peroni at lunchtime in a local bar.... ;) ). He won't wear reps and has a few gens - the best one being a white SOSF (I've mentioned this before in other threads) and I said that my 12 current reps are probably worth maybe $3k to $3.5k if I sold them all and he said you could buy a gen for that. But, to be honest, I couldn't buy any of the gens that I'd really want - they are way more expensive than that! I wouldn't even know which to choose - it would need to be a Bretiling or Panerai so probably an SOSF or SOH would be my target.

However, I enjoy having a variety of top-end reps so don't really think I could revert to only having my gen Citizen, TAG and "A.N.Other". Plus, I enjoy reps as a hobby and the rep community too - it's more than just having some watches to wear. :)

The King

There's only one Gen I'd sell everything for... a white gold Blue Sub.

But it's hard to justify at around 18k when I can have rarer gen Subs (like the 5512) and an "array" or reps, including a very good blue Sub...

midasmook

No

kaykay

Reps and gens for all the reasons stated.

I just love the confidence you get with a gen and the variety of watch you can afford with reps.

Get the best of both worlds.

+1

I've got a few nice gens and building a small collection of reps. For me, it's nice to be able to wear a good rep for a night out, without having to worry about losing it/breaking it. I've done that with two gens so far, and it pisses you off like nothing else!

Best of both worlds, couldn't have said it better myself.

BigBuys

NO!

Have a few GENs and MANY Reps. Style changes. Expensive GENs value drops enough that I am holding several so as not to realize the loss. If the Reps lose value, nothing significant is lost.

I agree kaykay. I had a Rolex stolen and it took me years to get over that. Right now I have a Maurice LaCroix and several old school Japanese collectables that are missing. In fact the whole watchbox is missing since a series of household moves.

powderfreak

If you have to sell reps you cannot afford the gen, simple.

Dragonscape

have a gen now working on Rep Collection

<RJ>

no.

erok68

NO

I have 3 orginials and 31 reps,

When i bought myfirst rep Breitling Chr evo to compare with my real one.

I felt ROBBED by the Breitling store in my city.

LOL

Reps today are goodsmaced GOOD

dingle

yes

:giggle:

Muaitai
NO

I have 3 orginials and 31 reps,

When i bought myfirst rep Breitling Chr evo to compare with my real one.

I felt ROBBED by the Breitling store in my city.

LOL

Reps today are goodsmaced GOOD

Deng... 31 reps? I envy you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

UmpaHimself

I wouldn't sell to get it unless there are watches your already willing to get rid of. I do think its worth it if I was getting into some serious activity (aka diving) and I was looking for a beast to get through it day in and day out, AND there was a gen I was truly in love with (PO) I would just save up and buy it in addition, possibly second hand. However I am neither a diver nor a rich man so I think my own path is very clear ;)

nickee_2dS
I would sell my wife, even for a Silix special...
ahah) :)

I prefer a lot if rep than a gen. I also love to change watches so having few reps help me to wear something different everyday

Inviato dal mio MB525 usando Tapatalk

baxter

My experience of Gens and Reps so far :

I've been fortunate to have quite a few nice gens over the years and still have four now ( ikepod hemipode, pam 240 titanium, 50's datejust and Heuer monaco ) I can honestly say that they all got sold because i tired of them and wanted to fund something new, losing a chunk of cash every time.The only one i wore for a number of years most days was my rolex sub which i never really tired of and always gave me pleasure when i looked at it on my wrist ( but still sold it eventually to fund something else ) If they were good reps they wouldn't have been sold and i would still be wearing them from time to time today.

Throughout that time i was always hugely excited when i got the chance to buy some reps and a $10 explorer 1 became my favourite daily beater for a couple of years ( i still have it today, it still keeps great time and still looks good to me) so i wore a $10 watch more than most of my Gens because i genuinely liked it.

I can honestly say that i'm just as excited about building a nice quality rep collection of my favourite models as i was when buying gens and my first purchase since joining RWG, a nice ceramic sub gives me as much pleasure as my gen did, been wearing it for a couple of months now and can't stop looking at it. I still see my old one regularly as i sold it to a mate and comparing my rep to his ( admittedly quite old now ) i think my rep looks nicer.

My favourite Gen is my pam (Which was a grail watch for me that lived up to it's expectations) which i have been wearing religiously since 2007 ( until my recent sub phase ) and i'm looking forward to receiving my first Pam rep to see if i enjoy it as much - and judging by my experience with the sub i can only assume that i will !!

Owning a Gen is nice but in the end if you can get a decent rep and you truly appreciate the design of that watch it's going to do the same thing for you in my experience.

That being said if you have a grail watch that you know you love because you've been wearing the rep for years and it's doable price wise you're probably not going to regret it.

I would consider a Tudor heritage chrono ( GBOH is to blame) sea dweller ( classic ) or sub c if i have funds in the future but after seeing Dingles sub from TC i may well consider this route instead.

One things for certain there are very few watches that a watch lover/enthusiast wants to wear everyday so a good rep collection seems the perfect solution and if you get the opportunity add your Gen grail watch, but in my experience if the rep is good it won't make that much difference.

Just my thoughts on this interesting topic :)

UmpaHimself

I've been fortunate to have quite a few nice gens over the years and still have four now ( ikepod hemipode, pam 240 titanium, 50's datejust and Heuer monaco ) I can honestly say that they all got sold because i tired of them and wanted to fund something new, losing a chunk of cash every time.The only one i wore for a number of years most days was my rolex sub which i never really tired of and always gave me pleasure when i looked at it on my wrist ( but still sold it eventually to fund something else ) If they were good reps they wouldn't have been sold and i would still be wearing them from time to time today.

Throughout that time i was always hugely excited when i got the chance to buy some reps and a $10 explorer 1 became my favourite daily beater for a couple of years ( i still have it today, it still keeps great time and still looks good to me) so i wore a $10 watch more than most of my Gens because i genuinely liked it.

I can honestly say that i'm just as excited about building a nice quality rep collection of my favourite models as i was when buying gens and my first purchase since joining RWG, a nice ceramic sub gives me as much pleasure as my gen did, been wearing it for a couple of months now and can't stop looking at it. I still see my old one regularly as i sold it to a mate and comparing my rep to his ( admittedly quite old now ) i think my rep looks nicer.

My favourite Gen is my pam (Which was a grail watch for me that lived up to it's expectations) which i have been wearing religiously since 2007 ( until my recent sub phase ) and i'm looking forward to receiving my first Pam rep to see if i enjoy it as much - and judging by my experience with the sub i can only assume that i will !!

Owning a Gen is nice but in the end if you can get a decent rep and you truly appreciate the design of that watch it's going to do the same thing for you in my experience.

That being said if you have a grail watch that you know you love because you've been wearing the rep for years and it's doable price wise you're probably not going to regret it.

I would consider a Tudor heritage chrono ( GBOH is to blame) sea dweller ( classic ) or sub c if i have funds in the future but after seeing Dingles sub from TC i may well consider this route instead.

One things for certain there are very few watches that a watch lover/enthusiast wants to wear everyday so a good rep collection seems the perfect solution and if you get the opportunity add your Gen grail watch, but in my experience if the rep is good it won't make that much difference.

Thanks for sharing. Makes me feel so much more confidant in the reps to know that people with gens aren't let down by the reps. Also nice to know that some of you have gigantic collections... One day

baxter

Thanks for sharing. Makes me feel so much more confidant in the reps to know that people with gens aren't let down by the reps. Also nice to know that some of you have gigantic collections... One day

Rodders

UmpaHimself
Rodders

Nice Tele in ur avy btw ;)

baxter
Rodders

Cheers ... it's a james trussart tele - if you're into guitars check out his website - there's some cool stuff on there :)

sam1965uk

no i would rather keep my rep's at least i would use them every day but a gen would only come out to play now and then :)

UmpaHimself
Rodders

Cheers ... it's a james trussart tele - if you're into guitars check out his website - there's some cool stuff on there :)

I've heard of him. I'll check it out thx!

cyphion

I would say no. I did it about a year ago, sold all my reps, and bought a DOXA 1200, Sinn U2, and a Seiko Tuna. The Sinn was gone in a month, the Tuna is on the chopping block for the new JLC NS and a SOSF, and the DOXA was a birthday present, so there is some sentimental value, but I'm not all that sentimental. :huh:

I really like the idea of the "Test Drive" to see if I really want the Gen. I was close to a PO 2500 after wearing the rep for about a year straight. But then I didn't because I wore the rep for a year straight, and wanted to try something different.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

kimchi

I wont have enough money for my favorite gen even if i sell my rep collection. If i did, wouldnt do it anyways