Sign in to follow this  
KBH

KBH's Dial vintaging

KBH

Here's what you need for baking it. Strictly UV's to mimic leaving it out in the sun for a few months. And you can do it in a couple of hours. Nothing like a good old fashioned sun lamp. I have no idea if you can still buy them though.....

DSCN3667.jpg

DSCN3668.jpg

It worked great on a Newman Exp II. This was lightly browned after about an hour and then a little coffee was dried on it while still warm to get a slight mottled effect. The original dial was an ugly BRIGHT white. If you don't like the coffee affect you can easily wipe it off or lightly mix it further with a damp q-tip. I was trying to match a picture on Phong's web site of the vintage he's selling. I think it came out pretty close to his.

DSCN3392.jpg

houndoggie

Nice!!!

I wonder if you still can get that kind of light, though.

KBH

I'm thinking they are the same as what's used to heat food. You've probably seen the warm up lights that they set the food under while waiting for pick up by the waitress?

houndoggie
I'm thinking they are the same as what's used to heat food. You've probably seen the warm up lights that they set the food under while waiting for pick up by the waitress?

I thought those were infrared... plus, I only eat at Hooters, so I am looking elsewhere... lol

AllergyDoc

This is a good idea, KBH.

Here's one on the Bay for $25:

Vintage Sunlamp

Edited by AllergyDoc

KBH

Hey Doc, it's gone already. I wonder if it was one of us?

HD, you dog?

RolexAddict

Excellent! good idea KBH !

I got some acceptable result on 1675 dials playing with various clear sprays/relume/hair dryer cure... but just amateur...