Sign in to follow this  
Captain Swoop

watch stopping as second hand passes 4!

Captain Swoop

My so far spot on reliable Josh 5512 has decided to stop every time the second hand passes 4.

A gently tap or shake and it carries on round until 4 again and stops.

Any ideas?

powderfreak

Had that once, too - I suspect it was the seconds hand being bent up towards the crystal (blocking/stopping there), but I never found out for certain. Just took it out of the drawer once and the problem was gone...

Luthier

Any ideas?

Yes, don't buy from dropshippers.

:P

KeNnY

Sent it to some watch modder, or go to your watchmaker, so he will set the hands right, so they will not touch them self

Captain Swoop

popped the movement out and it still stops in the same place, hands aren't touching each other, tiny shake or tap sets it off again

10:10 Watch Repair

broken tooth

KeNnY

if it is 21J movement version buy new movement, if it is ETA and you are in CONUS send it to CLS

Captain Swoop

It's 21J I have a new one from Cousins already. It runs Ok when I hold it with the crown pointing down.

Not worth messing with so I will swap the hands and dial. Good job it's a 5512, I won't have to worry about a date ring.

Captain Swoop

It's working again. I gave it a bit of a blow out with my air puffer and it started to work. I put it back together and it's running fine.

Captain Swoop

Well, it stopped working again in exactly the same way a day later.

I took the movement out and removed the hands and dial. I left the movement running and on its own it didn't stop once. I guessed the second had must be catching somehow. I pt the dial and hands back on and it ran OK for 3 or 4 days. Great I thought I fixed it but then it stopped again in exactly the same way. I took the movement out and threw it away. I got a brand new one from Cousins and put that in. It worked great for a week but now it has stopped dead again and won't go even out of the case with the hands and dial removed.

Piece of crap.

Captain Swoop

Just an update. Got an ETA Movewment, popped it in and it hasn't missed a beat since

greg_r

Just an update. Got an ETA Movewment, popped it in and it hasn't missed a beat since

:thumbsup: