Sign in to follow this  
alistairw

Vintage Seamaster 300 date query.

alistairw

Am looking to buy a Vintage Seamaster 300 date, which has an ETA 2836 movement.

I have incoming a new Gen watch bracelet, Dial and hands to suit 166.024 model (Omega 565 movt.)

I plan to swap the parts with the Gen parts.

Have been unable to determine if in fact the 565 movt and the ETA 2836 have similar dimensions thus allowing transplant.

Just wondering if anyone has any info on this.

Alternatively am I going to have to buy a 565 movt - in which case will it fit in the rep Seamaster 300 body.

trailboss99

Well the dial will no doubt fit but you need to check if the hands are the same size (which I doubt).

If not they will need broaching or staking to make them fit. If the size difference is too much they will need to have new tubes fitted

and that is a big job.

As for will a 556 fit the case it depends if the stem height is identical or not. Even if it is you will probably need to adapt or make a movement holder ring to secure it in the case. Swaps like this may not be near as simple as they first sound.

Oh., also I have just remembered, the gen MVT has a differently positioned date wheel (further out towards the edge on the gen) so it will be a lot of fun and games to adapt the ETA to fit the gen dial if it is indeed possible at all. It would have been a good idea to ask all these questions before you bought all the bits as I can see this turning into a very expensive exercise and since most of the rep 300 cases are not accurate I'm not entirely sure it's worth the bother. Which 300 did you buy?

alistairw

Thanks for the info, at this stage will buy the 300 from either Hont or Puretime. The finances are tight having bought these other bits. They are only available with the NATO bands so the gen bracelet should look good.

I wasn't sure with the date wheel, I thought it my be touch and go.

Dallas

The SM300 reps I have seen can not take any gen parts. The gen dial is smaller. I am not sure of the stem height on the 564/565. I never measured mine.

chard101

How did you get on with your project? I've got one of these on that way to me so I was interested to see how you got on, any photos?

Also what part number was the gen bracelet you bought?