Sign in to follow this  
max_777

Repair Question. Local repair shop?

max_777

Hey All. I bought a DJ2 with the swiss ETA from a trusted dealer. and it's flawless. Anyway I can set the time fine but when I push the crown in and attempt to give it the customary 5 turns, it will slip for a few turns and then catch and complete. When I get the crown screwed down securly, I still have to shake it to get it running. After that it runs flawlessly. My question is: since I don't want to mail it back to China for a repair, can I get it rapaired at a local watch repair shop? Thanks

Luthier

Not sure what'd you mean.

Anyway, that's how it works - unscrew the crown, don't pull it out, just rotate crown about 40 times, then screw it back.

Member X

Just to check... are you saying that the crown does not screw down very easily?

If so, press the crown down against the threads, turn it towards you (as if trying to unscrew it) and you should feel the crown 'jump' in when the end of the thread runs out and the crown moves back down to the thread below. At this point you can screw it in easily :)

max_777

Sorry for being too unclear but trying to explain in writing can be tricky sometimes. What I was saying is that after setting the time and date, I'll push the crown in and rotate it 5 times before screwing it into the watch. When rotating it 5 times , it has a tendency to lose it's catch on whatever it is turning inside the case and rotate loosley and ineffectively. Then after a few rotations it will catch again and I can finish and screw it into the case. I'm always left wondering if will slip permanently and cost a lot more to fix later. I want to know if I can get this fixed at a local repairshop or do I have to send it out to a trusted repairshop from this forum. Can the local shops work on a Rolex rep? Thanks Guys

Member X

If it was me, I wouldn't bother with the 5-turns thing ;)

Just screw the crown down, place it face down in the palm of your hand, 'swirl' it round anticlockwise for 20-30 seconds, and it should have started up and gained a small amount of power to keep going while you strap it on and charge it up just by wearing it :)

RolexAddict

Sorry for being too unclear but trying to explain in writing can be tricky sometimes. What I was saying is that after setting the time and date, I'll push the crown in and rotate it 5 times before screwing it into the watch. When rotating it 5 times , it has a tendency to lose it's catch on whatever it is turning inside the case and rotate loosley and ineffectively. Then after a few rotations it will catch again and I can finish and screw it into the case. I'm always left wondering if will slip permanently and cost a lot more to fix later. I want to know if I can get this fixed at a local repairshop or do I have to send it out to a trusted repairshop from this forum. Can the local shops work on a Rolex rep? Thanks Guys

Triple 7 :

According symptoms, sounds the crown fell apart of the stem, :(

need a drop of loctite :)

max_777

Thanks Guys,

I'm good to go now.

myaz

For the second part of your question, if I haven't worn an automatic watch, I have to pull the crown out anyways to set the time and since the crown is pulled out, I'll gently, gently wind just a few turns, and some watches start and some don't.

Rather than keep winding which would eventually start them, and which I understand can be hard on the gears, I'll then do the swirling thing as MemberX suggests.

The watch starts and I screw the crown back in.

P4GTR

Thanks Guys,

I'm good to go now.

what did you figure out?

max_777

I just stopped giving it the 5 turns and now I shake it and it runs flawlessly. I just purchased an smooth bezel Datejust and a Milgauss. Just can't resist.

rsh

your problem on that watch is the crown itself is slipping - really needs a new crown but not a big deal. You are more likely to not have the issue if you unscrew the crown and wind it then rather than pushing it in after setting the time.