Sign in to follow this  
djn1

Defective watch - looking for advice

djn1

Looking for some advice from those of you with more experience in this hobby. First let me start out by saying that the TD has been VERY responsive and helpful regarding my issues, so this is by no means meant to reflect negatively on the TD.

I received my Seamaster GMT with Asian ETA movement a few weeks ago and noticed a problem in the first week wherein the GMT hand would often 'slip' when I was moving the crown to set it, and it would often just get stuck for hours. The other problem that I noticed in the first week is that even when wearing the watch with constant arm movement I was not getting much power reserve. After a few experiments it has become clear that the only way to keep the watch wound is to manually wind it. I will say that with manually winding it 50 times I will get over 48 hours of PR - wow! And it keeps great time with the main hour hand.

The TD has offered to replace the movement if I send the watch back. Should I be concerned with something bad happening to it by sending it back to China, i.e. a Customs seizure? I'm in the US near Chicago.

Should I just deal with the manual winding until it will eventually need servicing and then look into fixing the issue then, or send it back to China to get both issues fixed? I'm not excited about spending another $30 on this watch to EMS ship it back to China.

Suggestions?

Luthier

Did you open case back to check the rotor?

fatarms

First problem sounds like a possible misalignment problem, do you use the GMT hand? I tend to just set mine so that it's far away from the hour hand during the day for my time zone. I would echo Luthier on checking the rotor, although 48 hrs of run time on a single wind is pretty impressive. Check the rotor and make sure it is moving freely, if it is, it might be worth just getting the new watch for $30. Especially considering that there are a couple problems here, possible misalignment of the crown tube and the rotor or gears from the rotor not working. You'd spend at least that sending the watch to a trusted watchsmith for service.

Mazz

I would say send it back .................get both problems addressed

Luthier

Strangely, all my clones have more power reserve than my ETAs. 47-48 hours vs 43-44 hours.

djn1

Thanks for the tips. Watch has clear case back so I can see the rotor moving freely. I keep the GMT hand at true GMT time which is 6 hours ahead of me. The GMT hand was stuck at 17:00 for over a day, and then i looked at the next day and it was back at 6 hours ahead! I have not touched it since and it is still ok for four days now.

Anyone aware of having watches seized/lost from US to China?

jdthompson131216

I had to send a watch back and it took a month. I live in the US too. Exactly one month to the day it arrived in china. I declared earphones on the customs form. Had no problems. I was really worried that it was lost because I heard alot about watches getting lost on the way. They exchanged the watch for me and it's on it's way back now. It's a test of patience but it will all work out.

greg_r

I've returned watches to China on a couple of occasions (albeit from the UK). It takes a while, as others have said, but so long as you follow the return instructions EXACTLY, you should be just fine.

NCRich

I just sent one back for a movement problem. I sent it regular airmail, customs declaration was watch parts. Airmail was only $10, and they shipped it back air as well on their dime. Took about 5 weeks. This was from the US.

djn1

Looks like i'll be sending it back, the other watch I purchased at the same time also has a problem so they are both going back. Makes the freight charges cheaper. Sucks that it's my first rep experience and I'm really digging the watch, but hopefully I'll get a decent turnaround time.

Dendo

Agreed with what has been said. Send it back - follow all the instructions - and be patient - it will be okay in the end.