Sign in to follow this  
Jameslowe1

Engraving movements

Jameslowe1

Hi guys, used the search filter but couldn't find anything about this.. if i've missed it please point me in the right direction.

Basically I was wondering if it's possible to get movements engraved? (due to the usually poor engravings on most rep movements)

Also would the movement have to be taken apart to do this?

I ask because i'm interested in a patek rep which unfortunately has a sapphire case-back but poor engraving.

Let me know guys :)

onionbag

The movement would most certainly have to be dis-assembled for engraving purposes.

No respectable engraver would touch such a job, as engravings are trade-marked and as such to copy them would be illegal.

Theses are my opinions only, but others may have differing views, they'll be along soon.

Jameslowe1

any unrespectable modders/engravers on here? ^_^

Edited by Jameslowe1

Luthier

There's mostly stickers on the rotors, and they're made by cold pressing of the thin metal sheet, not an engraving.

Colgate

There's a guy on eBay can't remember his user Id his name is Chris he sells engraved pocket watches flasks etc etc he does basically anything I've got his address if you want to pm me.

Forget that his name is Simon he's very good

torobravo

You can do it at any jewelry shop, but as somebody mentioned, they might be afraid of the copyright.

Caliper

Can't say anything more on the enslavement that what has been said. Any particular reason you wish to engrave the movement? I hope it's not to fool anyone.

Member X

For the cost involved ($$$), the fact that the movement will still end up look nothing like the Gen to the trained eye would say to me that it is a waste of money, sorry.

It is your money, though, so you can spend it how you wish, but I would spend it on another watch and enjoy that one as well as this one ;) No-one can see the movement when it is on the wrist!

Jameslowe1

Thanks for the help guys..

Can't say anything more on the enslavement that what has been said. Any particular reason you wish to engrave the movement? I hope it's not to fool anyone.

Enslavement? sorry what? :giggle: And no, not too fool anyone. Just for myself really, and considering tinting a couple of screws.

For the cost involved ($$$), the fact that the movement will still end up look nothing like the Gen to the trained eye would say to me that it is a waste of money, sorry.

I think you're probably right, it's a very cheap watch http://www.1-pc8838.com/pp10029-calastrava-white-p-253.html ($108 shipped by mary) but as you can see from the final picture I can't really make the movement look any worse...

Member X

Well, it's your money, you can spend it how you wish... but I think you would do much better to not worry about such small things and instead buy more watches ;):D

mbjoer

Well, it's your money, you can spend it how you wish... but I think you would do much better to not worry about such small things and instead buy more watches ;):D

I can see where the OP comes from. With a Patek it is a real negative when the movement look cheap.

Gen Pateks are seriously expensive. So it might make more sense to get the quality of the repping improved and not just have cheap junk with the Patek brand.

Most of us cannot tell the movements apart, but the engravings are very noticeable.

I wish that the rep makers would pay more attention to the back of the watches, including the movement engravings.

Edited by mbjoer

Jameslowe1

I wish that the rep makers would pay more attention to the back of the watches, including the movement engravings.

Poor quality image of the movement, but at least they made an effort: http://www.timeshops...anual-wind.html

mbjoer

Poor quality image of the movement, but at least they made an effort: http://www.timeshops...anual-wind.html

Hmmm,

Doubt it. Looks like stickers to me.

At that price point anything other would be a miracle.