Sign in to follow this  
10:10 Watch Repair

For vintage PAM fans, breaking news

These are Rolex bridges to fit a Molinja movement. After CNC, they will be hand finished and then engraved with a pantograph like the originals. Prototyping beginning soon...

molnija.jpg

PatronSaintofChainsaws
These are Rolex bridges to fit a Molinja movement. After CNC, they will be hand finished and then engraved with a pantograph like the originals. Prototyping beginning soon...

Which version(s) of the 618 bridges are planned?

Novesh

interesting

Which version(s) of the 618 bridges are planned?

I am not seeing a difference in the bridge shapes on 618s. There is a later version with a shock on the balance and the center jewel varies. There are some different engravings and finishing as well.

For the moment, this is in the prototype stage, until I have a tried and true solution and have the official blessing of the mods there's nothing for sale. The plan is to offer a few things here, but I am not ready yet.

Greg_r has been really cool about getting established here, so soon these will be available.

Would be nice to get feedback though.

PatronSaintofChainsaws
I am not seeing a difference in the bridge shapes on 618s. There is a later version with a shock on the balance and the center jewel varies. There are some different engravings and finishing as well.

For the moment, this is in the prototype stage, until I have a tried and true solution and have the official blessing of the mods there's nothing for sale. The plan is to offer a few things here, but I am not ready yet.

Greg_r has been really cool about getting established here, so soon these will be available.

Would be nice to get feedback though.

Sorry, I meant the engravings.

Sorry, I meant the engravings.

Engravings are simple. It's a matter of setting up the right pantograph templates, and of course research.

prestigewatchco

Night watch can get them engraved for you

trailboss99

cls has all the gear to DIY Robert.

Very interesting!

Col.

bob bean

Very interesting.

Subscribed

mad dawg
Very interesting.

Subscribed

+1

sconehead

Any chance of a decent Pam crown guard while you're at it? :P

This is interesting but alas these types of projects have been banded about on the forums before and always seem to fall at the last hurdle...fingers crossed on this one cls...;)

Any chance of a decent Pam crown guard while you're at it? :P

This is interesting but alas these types of projects have been banded about on the forums before and always seem to fall at the last hurdle...fingers crossed on this one cls...;)

I am working on the A-F CG first, the first prototype will arrive next week. For the vintage, there are some good options already, although not with Brev. Ital.

The bridges are out to a couple CNC shops right now. Most, of course, want a huge qty which would drive the price way up, unless 5000 of you want to pre-order. I have the ability to produce 1 off, which I will do if production is not an option. The difference is a few $ each vs. a few $100 each.

Stay tuned, I will know more soon.

The bids are in. Unfortunately I can't find a Chinese manufacturer who will to take this on in a small enough quantity. That, and the language barrier dealing with their salespeople / engineers / machine operators, makes the process impossible.

The good news is these bridges will come from the factory unmarked, so there are a lot of potential manufacturers including some professional watch parts manufacturers. The setup charge is huge, so I need to gauge interest. I can produce the bridges to fit the Molnija, and I can deliver just bridges or complete movements, engraved or not.

The bridges should sell for about $350-$400 which includes plating, engraving, jewel setting, and a brass center wheel.

A complete serviced movement should be around $650.

(Pre-orders at a discount when this is further along)

These bridges are going to be produced by a watch parts manufacturer who will also set the jewels and the center wheel bushing. They are going to prototype and test to ensure a good fit and there is no excessive endshake, (as much as can be considering the base is a Molnija.)

sconehead

Hmmm, that's pricey...

PatronSaintofChainsaws
The bids are in. Unfortunately I can't find a Chinese manufacturer who will to take this on in a small enough quantity. That, and the language barrier dealing with their salespeople / engineers / machine operators, makes the process impossible.

Maybe talking to Molnia/Molnija about doing some customization directly would be easier? They still exist, after all.

Maybe talking to Molnia/Molnija about doing some customization directly would be easier? They still exist, after all.

I am guessing not:

from Wikipedia:

History

The Molnija clock and watch factory was opened on November 17, 1947. The company's main customer was then the Soviet Union Department of Defense, providing them with wrist watches, pocket watches and table clocks. Unique clocks were also produced specifically for use in Soviet tanks, fighter aircraft, submarines and, eventually, spacecraft.

Today

The company ceased production in October 2007.[1]

jameo210369

Keep up updated cls on your progress.