Sign in to follow this  
10:10 Watch Repair

How do we get this forum more action?

I am happy to be a new supporting member here, but it seems compared to the other forums, there is a serious lack of activity. The original RWG was my first rep forum about three years ago and it was great. The new RWGforum seems to be dying a slow death. I just recently got back into this and discovered RepGeek where there is lots of activity and a lot of new (to me) stuff.

It's amazing how far this stuff has come in just a couple of years. I also want to add some new products and services exclusive to members here, and would like to help the forum to get some quality and quantity of posts. The members here that are active seem to be the most knowledgeable of the community, so there should be some things we can do here that are unique.

For example, the tool store here is MUCH better than anywhere else, I love the idea of sourcing from some of our quality Chinese sources for tools as well as watches.

The dealer mix is a whole new breed. The sterile parts and homage stuff is my new passion. Is there more we can offer?

I am open to suggestions for watch mods. I have a lot of watch experience, a good eye, and a design and manufacturing background (also watchmaking skill.) I also have some good resources and plenty of shop space. Let me know if there's something you want, and I will look at providing it (with the board mod's permission of course)

The OT stuff, cracks me up. There's a good bunch here, and some camaraderie. Nice to see, now what can we parlay that into?

Novesh

its difficult, we have a lot of UK and Aussie members here so their timezones are literally ass backwards from ours at times, and those of us in the US are stuck going online at only certain times...personally I"m always connected, because I'm awesome like that...unless I'm sleeping, or trying not to get shot.

being on boards with little membership before, I can say this, the more content, the more members...so the more threads we start with awesome info the more they will come....

Personally I'm gana start posting up "how-to" photo stuff, as well as a bunch of my watch photos, sorta like a running gallery...

its difficult, we have a lot of UK and Aussie members here so their timezones are literally ass backwards from ours at times, and those of us in the US are stuck going online at only certain times...personally I"m always connected, because I'm awesome like that...unless I'm sleeping, or trying not to get shot.

being on boards with little membership before, I can say this, the more content, the more members...so the more threads we start with awesome info the more they will come....

Personally I'm gana start posting up "how-to" photo stuff, as well as a bunch of my watch photos, sorta like a running gallery...

Yep, more stuff = more interest. I work mostly on my computer, so I am thinking of having it permanently connected so I can be online all the time. Oh, and I am stuck at home for another four months.

phaedo

Although there isn't nearly the volume of posting here, I find it a better group because of the fewer number of members, and hence less posting. Everyone seems to have a good time here. Besides, I'm just here for the :lol::beer:

greg_r

Bear in mind that we're only a year old and have around 1,100 members as opposed to the 20,000 members on some of the other boards. On top of which we don't go out of our way to be a noob magnet - newbies are welcome but that's not our primary reason for existence.

The aim for this place has always been slow but steady growth - to build a community rather than just another ho-hum watch board. As the membership increases (and the rate of increase is picking up steadily), so will our traffic - but that will also mean our costs will rise. Taking this thing steadily gives us the chance to build a strong foundation for the future.

Within the next week or so, I'll be posting details of our current financial status in the supporters' forum so that you guys can see where your money has gone and we can talk about where we go from here. As Novesh quite rightly says, though, more and better content will lead to more members.

oscarmadfish

what makes this place special to me is the family feel to the place

i hope that never goes

greg_r

i hope that never goes

+1

Although we do have more than our fair share of "eccentric uncles who smell a little weird" :irish_dance:

trailboss99

A hole in one by Novesh! Geting the data base filled up again with good info is the best way to make sure people come and stay!

You think the tool store is good now? Give me about a week or so gents and you will have a cpl of hundred products to chose from with more all the time. I just need time to get it set up. Remember, any and all profit goes towards keeping RWG1.1 going, I ain't making a cent out of this and at what we are being charged, neither is our supplier. Well, OK, he maybe making a cent or two but not much more, trust me, I know!

Col.

dingle
I am happy to be a new supporting member here, but it seems compared to the other forums, there is a serious lack of activity. The original RWG was my first rep forum about three years ago and it was great. The new RWGforum seems to be dying a slow death. I just recently got back into this and discovered RepGeek where there is lots of activity and a lot of new (to me) stuff.

It's amazing how far this stuff has come in just a couple of years. I also want to add some new products and services exclusive to members here, and would like to help the forum to get some quality and quantity of posts. The members here that are active seem to be the most knowledgeable of the community, so there should be some things we can do here that are unique.

For example, the tool store here is MUCH better than anywhere else, I love the idea of sourcing from some of our quality Chinese sources for tools as well as watches.

The dealer mix is a whole new breed. The sterile parts and homage stuff is my new passion. Is there more we can offer?

I am open to suggestions for watch mods. I have a lot of watch experience, a good eye, and a design and manufacturing background (also watchmaking skill.) I also have some good resources and plenty of shop space. Let me know if there's something you want, and I will look at providing it (with the board mod's permission of course)

The OT stuff, cracks me up. There's a good bunch here, and some camaraderie. Nice to see, now what can we parlay that into?

good thread cls. the others just do not know what they are missing. they are playing flag football instead of tackle. if you would had told me this a few days ago, i would have sent my 183 to you to fix. i trust most everyone on here.....i can't say that for the other forums

sconehead

good thread cls. the others just do not know what they are missing. they are playing flag football instead of tackle. if you would had told me this a few days ago, i would have sent my 183 to you to fix. i trust most everyone on here.....i can't say that for the other forums

Send me your paypal and cc details and I'll store them for you in case you ever forget them then DB...:(

Seriously though I know exactly what you mean, this place is like a breath of fresh air. We can say or talk about virtually anything here without fear of reprisal, at least from the admins anyway...:irish_dance:

I agree we need as much content as possible to make the board grow but the trade off for such growth might be a certain amount of conformism as we become more pc.

However, with Greg and Col at the helm, I can't see them censoring out too much, apart from pics of Onze and Joey that is...boy, are they ugly...looking at the two of them in the flesh is comparable to having hot pins stuck into your eyes, it's true...:D

Member X

Although I'm only a n00b, I love this place :blush: :(

You can just post whatever you want and chat with everyone if you fancy it - no-one has any hidden agendas, no-one is clique-y, everything is open and transparent, us n00bs don't feel afraid to ask questions like we do on other boards... :Jumpy:

IMHO, while growth is good, it has to be the right growth. I agree that we certainly don't want massive numbers of N00bs with No Idea swamping the place as then it will be like any other board! I agree that a good info base is essential for members who have an interest but, to a certain extent, it also opens the place up to just be a reference library for those who want to leech off the boards and not give anything back. To a degree I think that the RWG2 setup, whereby you have to do some work yourself, works well - those who really are interested will put the effort in and, while doing so, realise that it's an alright board and it would benefit them to hang around longer and get more into it, whereas those who just turn up and then their 2nd post is "what's the best XXX?" are the ones who will never been seen again once they've got what they wanted. This is great for the dealers selling the good stuff but not so great for the board. IMO some/a lot of the reference guides should be in supporters area only - that way both parties benefit :D

Just my random thoughts anyway :irish_dance: lol

jmd33

I really like the tone and content here. :(

AllergyDoc

Great thread, guys.

I agree with the OP: This is a great board that just needs more members.

IMO, a great strategy would be to follow Col's and Greg's (and others, I'm sure) tactic of posting a link to some interesting thread here, on the other fora. That brings guys here who didn't know we even existed.

I would suggest recruiting via PM, but that would be sort of underhanded and might get you banned on the other fora. :vader:

onzenuub

That's why I posted the Best Review Database and the best links list on the other boards, links to this boards. And every now and then pm to some other posters.

dingle
Great thread, guys.

I agree with the OP: This is a great board that just needs more members.

IMO, a great strategy would be to follow Col's and Greg's (and others, I'm sure) tactic of posting a link to some interesting thread here, on the other fora. That brings guys here who didn't know we even existed.

I would suggest recruiting via PM, but that would be sort of underhanded and might get you banned on the other fora. :Whistle:

Iv'e done 4 of these so far. I bet I am on the radar. :D

AustinTech

I am diggin' this place. That is for sure. I am sure more and more people will find it and stick around...

dingle
I am diggin' this place. That is for sure. I am sure more and more people will find it and stick around...

yep. matter of simple math. it seems only .05% of the members are on any forum at any given time. The word will get out. I will make sure of that. :Whistle:

Massimo

i hope that never goes

+1

Although we do have more than our fair share of "eccentric uncles who smell a little weird" :Whistle:

+ 1 more. I hardly spend any time at the other fora because this place feels like home.

dingle

i hope that never goes

+1

Although we do have more than our fair share of "eccentric uncles who smell a little weird" :Whistle:

+ 1 more. I hardly spend any time at the other fora because this place feels like home.

yep, I am here 8 to 5. this is my new job. :D

greg_r
yep, I am here 8 to 5. this is my new job. :Whistle:

LOL! It's been mine for a while :D

dingle
yep, I am here 8 to 5. this is my new job. :Whistle:

LOL! It's been mine for a while :D

pay is great though.

greg_r
yep, I am here 8 to 5. this is my new job. :D

LOL! It's been mine for a while :P

pay is great though.