Sign in to follow this  
OlympusDaytona

Bent Mainspring.... Is it worth repairing?

OlympusDaytona

I have one of those 'tonas with the day, 24 hour, date function dials and as I was trying to regulate the movement I accidentally snagged the mainspring. I thought winding it would bring it back to normal but it kind of moved outwards more...

34652ty.png

Is that worth getting repaired?

nuker

Ouch..it's easier to replace balance wheel with new hairspring methinks

OlympusDaytona

Any buffs out there know what movement is in it? I've been assuming its a 21J but my research hasn't found a solid answer since these reps aren't sought after

Edited by OlympusDaytona

offshore

Ummmmm?? Hairspring????

Doesn't look much like a mainspring to me.

O/S

Wiz

Yup, that's the hairspring, the mainspring is inside the barrel.

Assuming you can find a replacement, and including the cost of labour, the total cost might be close to the price of the watch.

10:10 Watch Repair

that's quite a "snag."

powderfreak

Swap the movement for a new 21j, buying only spare parts (next to impossible?) and the labour cost is too high I think...

KeNnY

Calculate the shipping cost to modder / watch repairer (around 16€ there and back) , new movement (I see it is faux chrono, so probably around 10-20€ from other donor watch or direct replacement movement), the movement replace (5-10€ for the job) = 31-46€ will cost you the replacement, and check how much the watch cost you.

Or it can be always saved with direct replacement of balancewheel part... If someone has stock. That would be cheapest and most easiest way and should not be more expensive then 21€. But the repairer must have the spare part from other donor watch from same movement type...

ROLIE

HI if its got the 24hr sub dial at 6 try cousins for a DG3836m think they about 14 quid

OlympusDaytona

Good eye Rolie! I found the same movement on a US based site to save on shipping