Sign in to follow this  
Del

What do the vintage Rolex experts think of this? (Double Red SD)

Del

I have looked at the Rolex Sea-Dweller Double Red 1665 on previous occasions but never quite got to the point of ordering one. I'm looking at them again now and would appreciate some input from our vintage Rolex experts.

Firstly, I understand that there are a few versions of the gen with different dials. The one I like is apparently the most common one as follows:-

seadwellerdoubleredgen3.png

seadwellerdoubleredgen4ck.png

I came across this "best version" edition on the Puretime website (I'm currently not sure if this is exclusive to them) and I must say that it looks very good!

RLX-PT1665-DR2-02_enl.JPG

The link to the page is:-

http://puretime.co/p...er-1665-dial-2/

The key specs are:-

• 39mm x 17.8mm
  • Swiss ETA-2846 automatic movement at 21600vph (low beat movement which is similar to the genuine which is 19800vph)
  • 316L steel case with thick springbars
  • super-dome plexi crystal
  • bi-directional rotating black bezel with dome plastic vintage pearl
  • $198

I don't need or expect this to be exactly like the gen but it certainly seems pretty close to me. My main enquiry is to see what the Rolex experts think of it in general and to ask if there are other versions that I should also consider?

My intention is not to have it "vintagised" - I don't think I could bring myself to intentionally scratch my watch! :lol: (But you never know...)

:thumbsup2:

KeNnY

yes it does look very good ! :)

James.

Well it now has kennys stamp of approval so u need not worry!

Niles

I'm certainly no expert, but I grabbed one of these from Rochest with the 2846 movement just a few days ago and it looks and feels fantastic. The superdome plexi gets a ton of looks, surprisingly, and it looks smashing on a NATO. The only thing that really bothers me on mine is the pearl (mine is similar to the puretime version) which really could stand to be improved IMO.

Akira

you can easily go with Josh's 1665

8.jpgCa5v9.jpg

It's a good watch to start with.

$218 will buy you a case that can take a gen dial and gen specs plexi, as well as insert.

You'll have a swiss refurbished 2846 in there, which beats at 21,600bph - close to the genuine 1570.

Generally you are correct keeping the 9315 on 380 ends.

The 9315 that comes with Josh's is very nice.

Excellent coronet on the clasp, nice divers extension and perfect endlink fit.

The insert is not bad, however the pearl is horrible and should be swapped for a Yuki pearl, priced at $26.

Hands are ok, however if you want go for the Clarks Tudor ETA hands, they are pretty good and a little more accurate at $25ish.

Depending on your budget, I would replace:

- Insert for a gen or aftermarket or just a pearl exchange.

- Plexi for a gen or Clarks T39/T19 depending on how domed you want the watch to look.

- Hands as stated above.

- Crown/Tube should be replaced with a gen.

- Get a nice #24-700 if you have money to piss away or #24-703 at a more modest price.

- Both are correct, the later one just is a service crown. I don't see a problem there.

- Drill out the lugholes to accept genuine springbars

At last, about caseshaping...I've never had a gen 1665 in hand, so I can't tell you if overall thickness and shape is correct.

Probably not, but it's a good looking watch. Crown guards would need some trimming, that's for sure :)

Akira

Puretime's should be the same as Josh's

Del

Holy shit Akira - you've given me a blueprint for a project! :clap::notworthy: Thanks mate!

And also thanks to the others, especially you Niles since you already own the watch. Did you post pics btw? I might have missed them of course! ;)

KeNnY

Yes I wanted to add the CGs need small trimming but Akira know this stuff far more better then I do :) One day, I want this watch also ! But after I will finish my RED SUB 1680 ! :lol:

EDIT: Also don' forget to SOFTEN those edges ! :lol:

Akira

Yes I wanted to add the CGs need small trimming but Akira know this stuff far more better then I do :) One day, I want this watch also ! But after I will finish my RED SUB 1680 ! :lol:

Need a gen insert?

KeNnY

Need a gen insert?

Does it have the pearl still there ? price ? photo ? :D

Akira

Need a gen insert?

I have 3 fat font MK2 inserts.

One is greyish faded from salt and sun.

The other two are still in unfaded, very true black condition.

Almost no scratches, no pearl.

$300 and above per piece

dingle

Need a gen insert?

I have 3 fat font MK2 inserts.

One is greyish faded from salt and sun.

The other two are still in unfaded, very true black condition.

Almost no scratches, no pearl.

$300 and above per piece

perhaps take this conversation to the 'personal messenger' area?

DeLaForce

you can easily go with Josh's 1665

8.jpgCa5v9.jpg

It's a good watch to start with.

$218 will buy you a case that can take a gen dial and gen specs plexi, as well as insert.

You'll have a swiss refurbished 2846 in there, which beats at 21,600bph - close to the genuine 1570.

Generally you are correct keeping the 9315 on 380 ends.

The 9315 that comes with Josh's is very nice.

Excellent coronet on the clasp, nice divers extension and perfect endlink fit.

The insert is not bad, however the pearl is horrible and should be swapped for a Yuki pearl, priced at $26.

Hands are ok, however if you want go for the Clarks Tudor ETA hands, they are pretty good and a little more accurate at $25ish.

Depending on your budget, I would replace:

- Insert for a gen or aftermarket or just a pearl exchange.

- Plexi for a gen or Clarks T39/T19 depending on how domed you want the watch to look.

- Hands as stated above.

- Crown/Tube should be replaced with a gen.

- Get a nice #24-700 if you have money to piss away or #24-703 at a more modest price.

- Both are correct, the later one just is a service crown. I don't see a problem there.

- Drill out the lugholes to accept genuine springbars

At last, about caseshaping...I've never had a gen 1665 in hand, so I can't tell you if overall thickness and shape is correct.

Probably not, but it's a good looking watch. Crown guards would need some trimming, that's for sure :)

Akira

Puretime's should be the same as Josh's

+1 sounds like a winner

Luthier

EDIT: Also don' forget to SOFTEN those edges ! :lol:

+1, Matej, crown guards are horrible.

T1MWV

Sorry to ask such a stupid question, is the insert the pearl that you are referring to?