Sign in to follow this  
RolexAddict

DW Daytonas

RolexAddict

Starting to collect vintage Daytonas is not very easy. I am working on a threat about this to help members to find the right stuff and explain differences of material sold by our trusted dealers.

Demsey pointed out these famous DW (David Wong) Daytonas,

I emailed today to SpinMaster telling him to join us here on the new board. Sorry, when he gave me his e-mail adress he asked me to keep it private, I am sure he will come back here.

Long time ago he sent me pics from these famous DV Daytonas he sells. It sounds like now he controls this David Wong stuff.

Really accurate, cases with assymetrical pushers, many dials, regular, exotics... but pricy. Starts from USD 460.00 with a A7750 to 4.000.00... if powered with a gen VJ72 movement

Look on pics here, he sent me, I aranged sharpness and light to improve the quality and add "copyright SpinMaster" as its his own pics

Spin.JPG

Spin_1.jpg

Spin_2.JPG

Spin_3.JPG

Spin_4.JPG

Spin_5.JPG

Spin_7750_Dials.JPG

Spin_Silver_Dial.JPG

The available dials collection

Spin_Vj23_Dials.jpg

AllergyDoc

How does he fit an A7750 into a case with asymmetrical pushers?

RolexAddict

This is not a problem,

The A7750 has pusher levers who have a wide contact surface, almost 5 millimeter surface contact to push. So its designed to match lot of case styles

KBH

If he can put a 7750 in that case and dial for $460, put me down for one white and one black..............

Demsey

I'm in. Deep this time.

Thanks RA, you are l'homme!

AllergyDoc
The A7750 has pusher levers who have a wide contact surface, almost 5 millimeter surface contact to push. So its designed to match lot of case styles

Well, blow me. Why don't J & A et. al. sell any with correct pusher placement, then?

Demsey
Well, blow me.

Is this still about Dave and that whole 'closet' thing?

Anyway, I'll never understand either, the reasoning behind; what is, what was, what will be available as 'decent' reps and why certain watch models get left behind. Like the PO went through five versions in as many months to sheer perfection, then MBW this, BK that, Noobmariner your mother, and there still isn't one Submariner that has all it's ducks in a row.

There are theories that try to explain the driving force of what models get all the attention, and I believe it has less to do with 'marketing' than it does with 'tooling' and ready available parts/materials. From us, the consumers, it's all just conjecture. The truth may be known to the dealers and either they aren't talkin' or simply don't know themselves. The topic needa a new Guru, and he hasn't logged on anywhere yet.

Edited by Demsey

greg_r

WOW.... now that's a Daytona I'd buy.... Great post RA!

trailboss99

OKE, Holy snapping duckshit! that has to be the best rep I have ever seen and I meen it. That is amazing. That is the first Daytona I have seen that I realy want. WOW. where has this guy been hideing and when is he going to make me a perfect Navitimer?

Col.

KBH

Don't get your hopes up. Those Daytona dials wont fit a 7750 movement (sub dial spacing) and the case is too skinny for it to fit. If he did do it, it would have to be a different dial and case back.

Demsey
Don't get your hopes up. Those Daytona dials wont fit a 7750 movement (sub dial spacing) and the case is too skinny for it to fit. If he did do it, it would have to be a different dial and case back.

Yes, these DW watches with 7750 option is news to me although you can (used to be able to) source 6263's with a 7750. They were OK aside the fact, as KBH states, the subdial spacing was wrong, the case dimension was wrong, they were 'autos', and the biggest plus in having a DW was the fact it were a true tri-compax fully working three subdial chrono (no slave hour totalisor @6 a la Seagull touted Lemania/Venus) and had the elusive asymmetrical pusher arrangement. All that criteria relied on the reworking of the 'mystery' movement, which I will maintain is Russian in origin, if only for the 'replica lore' aspect of it (Taiwan Best, doesn't come from Taiwan either :P ).

So tread carefully guys, these watches are not 'entry level' stuff and if you thought a 116520 seconds @ 6 with 7750v2 was a heart breaker, wait till you have one of these beauties lying worthless on your dresser and Ziggy says "No friggin' way". It were this watch specifically that Ziggyzumba demured the old RWG and dimissed the membership after going tete a' tete with an obstinate member over just this watch.

All this is not to say things with regard to DW watches have not evolved, if they have, then as I said, it is merely 'news' to me.

Keep us updated RA, good merde.

So, after a two year hiatus, finally, a thread I am enthusiastic about. Regarding fake watches no less. In all honesty I thought that thread would be the inevitable; "Well I think this new Prsident too and his Cabinet should be swinging from a tree and a cross burning on the White House front lawn." You just know that shit is coming. I got a lot of 'Demsey' for that son-of-a-bitch poster too.

Edited by Demsey

RolexAddict

just a precision, I am a enthousiast but I am not involved in a supposed vintage Daytona business,

SpinMaster contacted me and wanted to sell me some stuff, I was, and I am still really interested, but not yet decided to put more than 300 USD in a rep.

My reflection was the same: "Méfiance" we say in french it means suspicion, distrust. But after researches I must admit this is the best rep stuff.

Oh, better exists, VJ72 tweaked with Genuine Rolex engraved bridges...etc... I have a good link for this. But prices are 4.000 to 15.000 USD. Its peanuts when you know how mutch is sold a gen in France...

This is a copy and paste of my last exchange with Spin:

So you will understand better the dials and movements correlation

Hi there,

As promised, i've attached some pictures of the Dw Daytona...

Basically it comes in 3 different versions:

1. Asian Vj23 improved version - $460 shipped (comes with all dial version)

2. Asian 7750 - $410 (comes with limited dial option)

3. Genuine Vj72 - $4,000 (comes with limited dial option)

Let me know.

Thanks.

Regards,

Spin

RolexAddict

AD, this link is great !

I have a Daytona case who looks similar with fat engravings on the SS bezel, not this one I posted, another one, need day light for pics. Its night here right now.

KBH

I've never heard of an Asian V23. That would open up all kinds of possibilities if it is true.

The "mystery movement" came with the original DW watches but I don't believe they were ever sold that cheap.

A working DW Daytona that would accept gen dials for $460 would be fantastic.

Somebody buy one.

RolexAddict

I think about this mystery movement with the sub dial at six tracking the hour hand..

anyway, just another complication module

Demsey
The one on the left I think is the "mystery" movement that came with the DW.

aaaa.jpg

What is that? Is that Russian? Who was the guy on RWG that translated all that Russian spam about the Black Sea resort?

Demsey
I've never heard of an Asian V23. That would open up all kinds of possibilities if it is true.

Me either. If the movement is true working tri-compax? Oh Lord the watches I would want built LIKE A FRIGGIN" SPEEDMASTER MOON WATCH WITH PLEXI DOMED CRYSTAL AND SOLID CASEBACK DAMNIT!!!

The "mystery movement" came with the original DW watches but I don't believe they were ever sold that cheap.

You got that right man. Say, why aren't you gearing up to go Bill fishing? The cold snap is going to put them on the beach brudda. Got kites?

I think about this mystery movement with the sub dial at six tracking the hour hand..

anyway, just another complication module

The DW mystery movement supported a true, @ 6 hour totalisor. The Seagull/Venus/ Lemania was the slaved one. But you are correct, there is an added module there to support the slaved subdial. I made the mistake once of suggesting the Seagull movement slaved post were possibly meant for a sun phase on the dial, and 'Slayer' jumped my shit with a hob nailed boot, that there never was. So. There you go.

Luthier

Saw very interesting posting on chinese website.

They swear it's gen., with Zenith El Primero movement, and they ask only $110,000 for this bling.

Yeah... genuine... Ha.Ha.Ha.

Bling.jpg

Luthier
The one on the left I think is the "mystery" movement that came with the DW.

aaaa.jpg

What is that? Is that Russian? Who was the guy on RWG that translated all that Russian spam about the Black Sea resort?

No, it's English, dumbie, and it's NIVADA watch with Valjoux-23 movement.

They use different fonts for different movements.

N-1.jpg

N-2.jpg

nivada-4.jpg

nivada-5.jpg

Demsey

OMG! LUTH SOLVED THE MYSTERY!!

Are you sure it doesn't say Prada?

KBH
You got that right man. Say, why aren't you gearing up to go Bill fishing? The cold snap is going to put them on the beach brudda. Got kites?

I've downsized to a 21 footer so I got to pick the nice days. Unfortunately the best sail fishing is when it's nice and sloppy. Been doing a little kingfish fishing and also got a few nice dolphin in the last month or so.

I still got a couple of kites but I'm too lazy to get up early to go out for live bait. Ain't paying $150 a dozen from the bait bandits.Sailfish.jpg

Demsey

There you go. Nice fish. I only run a 17' Montauk ( Dave keeps posting it around here for some reason), so yeah, I'm basically all about the Kings. I live in Daytona and the Billfish and Mahi (except in June when the Cows come in closer to spawn, I can reach them) are ridiculously too far, even for a moderate size CCWA, the fuel in a proper boat will kill you these days.

But, and I too didn't think so, the King as a table fish in underrated. Then I went to Thailand where just about every curried fish dish, or specialty dish Tod Mun Pla whatever, was made from King. I have a bunch of recipes that I use. Hell, people have no clue, if they are enjoying it I just say "Yeah it's Grouper in there" and they're all happy happy.

Bandits? Somebody say Bandits?

RED%20SNAPPER.jpg

KBH

By the way, I just checked the price on a DW case set on IOffer----$700

How come these Spinmaster's cases are so cheap?

Demsey
No, dumbie, and it's NIVADA watch with Valjoux-23 movement.

They use different fonts for different movements.

Oh, so this is Russian for NIVADA?

aaaaa.jpg

Gottcha Luth, you the man.