Sign in to follow this  
RolexAddict

DW Daytonas

AllergyDoc
There you go. Nice fish. I only run a 17' Montauk ( Dave keeps posting it around here for some reason), so yeah, I'm basically all about the Kings. I live in Daytona and the Billfish and Mahi (except in June when the Cows come in closer to spawn, I can reach them) are ridiculously too far, even for a moderate size CCWA, the fuel in a proper boat will kill you these days.

But, and I too didn't think so, the King as a table fish in underrated. Then I went to Thailand where just about every curried fish dish, or specialty dish Tod Mun Pla whatever, was made from King. I have a bunch of recipes that I use. Hell, people have no clue, if they are enjoying it I just say "Yeah it's Grouper in there" and they're all happy happy.

Bandits? Somebody say Bandits?

RED%20SNAPPER.jpg

:thumbdown:

fish talk

Demsey
:wacko:

fish talk

Man gotta eat. Doc.

KBH

OK Demsey, Very nice fish. Looks like long line gear in the back ground. Cheating isn't it?

I love fresh kingfish. Long as you don't freeze it, it's as good as any other fish. Half my friends won't eat it, which is fine with me.

When I've got fresh dolphin they're always looking for hondouts.

I'm gonna dig up an old picture of a Cubera snapper I caught when I was younger off Key Biscayne. It could almost eat that one you're holding. It was close to 70 lbs. Caught it on a live lobster.

AllergyDoc

You eat Flipper, KBH? :wacko:

KBH
You eat Flipper, KBH? :wacko:

Only people in Florida eat dolphin(fish). The rest of the country eats mahi-mahi. Personally I prefer Manatee steaks

Demsey
I prefer Manatee steaks

Ooooooh, those are good, kind of a cross between a Florida Black Panther, and the Bald Eagle.

Yeah, I longlined shark paying to go through school. That pic was ages ago. The Snapper was caught on a bandit reel, not electric, but still, not as sporting as rod and reel. Those were the days.

Would love to see the Cubera. Gotta love the guys who buy or catch live lobster to go and catch a fish. Like having the recipe for Gold; "To make one troy ounce of gold, start with two troy ounces of platinum and..............."

Bet my Hammerhead could eat your Cubera. Even if it were deep in the fishbox.............. :wacko:

Hammer.jpg

Luthier
OMG! LUTH SOLVED THE MYSTERY!!

Are you sure it doesn't say Prada?

RayBan with powerful magnification is what you definitely need, Dem.

Demsey
RayBan with powerful magnification is what you definitely need, Dem.

Thank you friend, but 'mid-air' near miss collisions are very frightening. I prefer not to see them coming.

trailboss99
I've never heard of an Asian V23. That would open up all kinds of possibilities if it is true.

Me either. If the movement is true working tri-compax? Oh Lord the watches I would want built LIKE A FRIGGIN" SPEEDMASTER MOON WATCH WITH PLEXI DOMED CRYSTAL AND SOLID CASEBACK DAMNIT!!!

+100

Luthier
I've never heard of an Asian V23. That would open up all kinds of possibilities if it is true.

Me either. If the movement is true working tri-compax? Oh Lord the watches I would want built LIKE A FRIGGIN" SPEEDMASTER MOON WATCH WITH PLEXI DOMED CRYSTAL AND SOLID CASEBACK DAMNIT!!!

+100

How do you use huge font? I tried a few times - it doesn't work.

Teach me.

Poohmonster

+100

How do you use huge font? I tried a few times - it doesn't work.

Teach me.

only if you start a new thread called....I love Poohmonsters avatar !! :wacko:

KBH

I had to resurrect this thread. Late breaking news:

I just picked up a DW vintage Daytona with GEN ETA 7750 movement for an excellent price from a member on RWG. For less that $300 I got DW case with gen crown/tube and gen pushers. Sent it off to Speedy for repair and servicing and now it's working like a charm. He also removed all the winding gears so it's fully manual wind now. He packaged up all the parts with a spare rotor so I will have everything needed to put it back together as a full 7750. a Tropic 21 crystal is on the way from Clark.

Also picked up a well used 78350 bracelet and 557 end links off the Bay for less than $100. The DW bracelet that came with it is a very good copy though

Total cost of watch and servicing was less than the value of the Swiss movement.

DSCN3157.jpg

DSCN3159.jpg

Can't decide which bezel I like best? Leaning towards the silver.

jameo210369

She looks great, I would go for the black bezel.

oscarmadfish

nice :lol:

greg_r

That's gorgeous, KBH. I really must get myself a vintage 'tona one of these days....

alphakazi

what a steal!

RolexAddict

Congrats,

Really nice stuff,

Send it to me, I can sell here for 20.000 euros, I keep 5000 for me :rolleyes:

Luthier

Silver bezel. With black it's looks like Omega.

Who is DW, and what's the story behind it?

RolexAddict

DW (David Wong) was -I think- a dealer or a watchmaker who had very accurate Daytona vintage cases. Speaking about accuracy, the only difference with other cases sold by our good gangsters, sorry dealers, was this famous perceptible assymmetrical reset pusher, like on the gens.

Demsey introduced the source here. But Demsey has left the web because he was to busy with his wife. Now he is very active on other rep watch boards :rolleyes: hope is wife is comprehensive :P

Dem, I'm just kidding

Nobody -may be only me- knows where is David Wong and if he continues to produce or sell watches.

We had here a member on the former board, SpinMaster who is watchsmith or a very good modder who has a source to get the DW cases and dials. I got a good contact with him, but I think he was tired with my emails, because I was not really ready to buy something.

To be honest, I am a little bit tired with all these stuffs, I don't tell you all what happen to me here, but I feel on a certain way I felt myself scammed many times with our good dealers. I tell this just to tell it, no complain, everything is O.K and I stay cool. period.

So, SpinMaster had (or still has, I have no more contact) correct Daytona cases. But no mystic, the DW case has only the assymetrical reset pusher. All other stuff, dials, movements, etc; are the same like our dealers have for sale.

And as KBH pointed out, the background need a change of plexi to look more like a gen.

The best source today to get a accurate Daytona you can re-sale for lot of money is Mr Phong

http://www.jewelryandwatch.com/index1.html

It sounds pricy, but this is peanuts, in Paris the minimum you pay for a 6263 or 6265 regular dial or PN, is at least 40.000 euros. And for this price, half of the stuff is coming from Mr Phong....

Luthier

DW (David Wong) was -I think- a dealer or a watchmaker who had very accurate Daytona vintage cases. Speaking about accuracy, the only difference with other cases sold by our good gangsters, sorry dealers, was this famous perceptible assymmetrical reset pusher, like on the gens.

Demsey introduced the source here. But Demsey has left the web because he was to busy with his wife. Now he is very active on other rep watch boards :rolleyes: hope is wife is comprehensive :P

Dem, I'm just kidding

Nobody -may be only me- knows where is David Wong and if he continues to produce or sell watches.

We had here a member on the former board, SpinMaster who is watchsmith or a very good modder who has a source to get the DW cases and dials. I got a good contact with him, but I think he was tired with my emails, because I was not really ready to buy something.

To be honest, I am a little bit tired with all these stuffs, I don't tell you all what happen to me here, but I feel on a certain way I felt myself scammed many times with our good dealers. I tell this just to tell it, no complain, everything is O.K and I stay cool. period.

So, SpinMaster had (or still has, I have no more contact) correct Daytona cases. But no mystic, the DW case has only the assymetrical reset pusher. All other stuff, dials, movements, etc; are the same like our dealers have for sale.

And as KBH pointed out, the background need a change of plexi to look more like a gen.

The best source today to get a accurate Daytona you can re-sale for lot of money is Mr Phong

http://www.jewelryandwatch.com/index1.html

It sounds pricy, but this is peanuts, in Paris the minimum you pay for a 6263 or 6265 regular dial or PN, is at least 40.000 euros. And for this price, half of the stuff is coming from Mr Phong....

RA, thanks for reply!

So, David made his own cases, or modify chinese made cases?

As far as I undrstand, need to have a lot of serious machinery to make case from the piece of steel, so, I suspect, he modify chinese cases, right?

I know Mr. Phong. I make shortcuts to every interesting page, and now my foder "Watch URLs" is full of very interesting stuff. I'm still noob, so, I learn things little by little.

KBH

DW cases are still available here:

DW cases

I'm not sure about what's needed to convert them to 7750 or whether that's a whole different case.

Luthier
DW cases are still available here:

DW cases

I'm not sure about what's needed to convert them to 7750 or whether that's a whole different case.

OMG.......

greg_r

I think Luthier just caught a bad case of sticky underwear...... :rolleyes:

AllergyDoc

A guy on RG is selling a Spinmaster Daytona for about $750. He only had it 2 days.

KBH

I might as well add this little gem I picked up for a song. DW case with (allegedly) gen pushers, gen crown and tube, with Swiss ETA 7750. One chrono pusher was not working so I figured on sending if off for full service. Got it back from Speedy where he serviced it, replaced a couple of bad pieces and removed all the excess winding gears, and timed it. The total cost of watch and service was less than $400 and it works like a dream. Also added a tropic 21 domed plexi from Clark.

DSCN3159.jpg

DSCN3157-1.jpg

Now my problem is which bezel do I like better? Hmmm.

SEEMS LIKE I ALREADY POSTED THIS ONE. OH WELL! Alzheimer's must be setting in.

Edited by KBH