Sign in to follow this  
JohnG

Sterile Homage Birthday Watch

JohnG

I just wanted to post some before during and after pics of the sterile homage that will be given away for RWG1.1's first anniversary.

rwgwrist2.jpg

The original idea for this watch came from Saabnut at RG. I had seen a picture of a watch he built, once owned by RedSoxMan (also of RG). It was a media-blasted radiomir case with a brass dial and no lume - just the bare metal of the back plate was visible, making the numerals change color/tone according to the angle of the light. It also had a nice riveted strap and PVD lug wires.

I stole several of the ideas and decided on a distressed/vintagized case and a bare brass dial but with an aged patina instead of merely stripped. Greg contacted GetatWatch who donated the parts for the watch. I contacted Speedracerlo of RG, who donated the strap.

I used another dial to experiment with different chemicals and techniques for creating different patinas on brass.

Imagen027.jpg

Work on case:

Imagen066.jpg

I conducted experiments on another dial before doing this one, which was eventually oxidixed severely with ammonia, bleach, and open flame. Then it was waxed with neutral Kiwi shoe wax to seal the dial from the air to prevent further change in the dial tone.

The back plate was stripped and polished. Also, the whole dial was for a 47mm watch with no seconds. I wanted no seconds for a more minimalist look but Getat did not have a no-seconds dial for the 45mm case and I checked with Jackson Tse - he didn't either. So I took the larger dial and filed it to fit the 45mm case.

Imagen073.jpg

Imagen075.jpg

Imagen085.jpg

I decided on a sterile dial so any engraving/reference to RWG1.1 had to go on the case back - so Getat sent me a sterile solid caseback (which also hides the new movement which wouldn't look right with this watch). It only came in PVD so I stripped the PVD, distressed it, then had a friend engrave it. By the time I got done "restoring" the watch, the engraving was barely visible - again, I didn't want it to look new.

Imagen054.jpg

Imagen055.jpg

rwg4.jpg

The hands were originally gold, but ammonia, bleach, and open flame made them VERY discolored and oxidized.

RWGhands.jpg

The Speedracerlo strap was aged in water/bleach, then I brought the color back up with neutral shoe polish on flat surfaces, brown on edges and around the holes for the tang, but now the color was not so uniform and the strap looked older. I did some very light sanding at the lugs to wear the leather slightly.

Imagen107.jpg

Things I would have done differently:

I broke the 4th wheel on the first movement trying to shave the stem for the seconds down - really, the best way is to REMOVE the wheel and cut the stem down, then replace it. So I donated a movement of my own after learning the hard way.

The engraving machine was not able to engrave deeply on stainless steel. I would have like to have a deeper engraving to be able to age the engraving without making it SO faint. Also, I was overly-aggressive with the damage to the case back - and by the time I realized it the engraving was done - removing more of the scratches / dings would have mean the engraving would have disappeared altogether.

I feel the watch should have had a plexi crystal, but they are not offered on the 45mm Rad case (by Getat anyway).

It would have been neat to have a sewn-on strap made with real vintage leather and soldered lugs and tube. That will be next year as I learn new skills. Keep in mind, this is my first fantasy/vintage project and only the second watch I have built (I have a couple of others going now but still incomplete). By next year I will have learned some strap-making skills I hope.

Some of the techniques for aging the case I would do differently now. I fell into the common trap of over-distressing the case. Much of the work was alter removed by "restoring" and sanding/polishing. It would have been better to make a few significant dings and then sand/refinish the case. What is the point of making hundreds of smaller dings that I plan on polishing out anyway?

Nevertheless, all in all I am satisfied with the final results:

rwg6.jpg

rwg5.jpg

rwg2.jpg

rwg1.jpg

mtt.tr

Pure skill and talent

dingle

somebody's gonna be one lucky..................... :rofl:

KinCaidk

You're a master John!

You make me wanna try these things out myself... But I probably won't... Didn't earn my Watchbreaking Wizard title for nothing :rofl:

The bloke who'll end up with this will be getting a watch for life!

Member X
You're a master John!

You make me wanna try these things out myself... But I probably won't... Didn't earn my Watchbreaking Wizard title for nothing :rofl:

The bloke who'll end up with this will be getting a watch for life!

+1 to all of that!

greg_r

It's a beautiful watch - one I wish I could own. Most definitely a watch for life :rofl:

If this is what you can do as a beginner, I am SERIOUSLY looking forward to seeing what you're coming up with in a year's time :irish_dance:

houndoggie

beautiful work John.

oscarmadfish

outstanding

sconehead

Good job John, my hat's off to you... :rofl:

AllergyDoc

This is so much cooler than organizing a group buy and commissioning a new watch…

Great idea and super execution!

Massimo
This is so much cooler than organizing a group buy and commissioning a new watch…

Great idea and super execution!

+1 to that too.

trailboss99

Yep, nothin' I ain't said before that I can say realy, Just amazing mate.

You realy should be selling these. That is a 5 or 6hundred dollar watch all day long on da geek or da bay.

Col.

mad dawg

Luv your work, it's a real beauty.

JoeyB

WELL DONE! It's beautiful work, John.

Crab

Wow, you sure have talent. :D

mondeov6

Now that's a really cool loking watch!! Great work!