Sign in to follow this  
Wiz

Blue lume used on the DSSD or Ceramic Sub

Wiz

Hi all!

As you all know, Rolex introduced a new lume on some of their recent watches like the DSSD or the Ceramic sub. They call that blue lume "Chromalight", which is in fact a custom color from Tritec that Rolex then had patented to ensure themselves the exclusive use.

In the past I've read a few discussions between members about the lume of the DSSD. In most of these talks, people were complaining that the standard rep blue lume or the blue lume used by modders is kind of closer to the "aqua" color, not enough of a "true blue".

I'm not saying this is right or wrong, I'll let everyone make his own opinion, but I'd like to raise the point that when it comes to lume shots, camera settings can make a huge difference in how the lume will look on photo.

For example, here are some pics of GEN DSSDs I gathered from the web:

3255355212_cf59dc2604_o.jpg

dssd20.jpg

DSC02559.jpg

4841713490_65e43ee614_b.jpg

dssd19.jpg

DSSD20Lume.jpg

4841713706_339765c938_b.jpg

Lume-On-DSSD-Compared-With-The-SUB.jpg

As you can see it shows a variety of shades, from light aqua to deeper blue.

And for comparison purposes, here are some pics of REP DSSDs, some with facoty lume, some relumed:

IMG_0686.jpg

P1070269.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

P1070778.jpg

DSC_0185.jpg

P1060300.jpg

wristchecks029bu8.jpg

What do you guys think? :)

jeffw69
:fme: I am a lumewhore! :lol:

10:10 Watch Repair

I have been seeing this myself for a long time. I can make a photo of relume look dark blue or aqua depending on the settings.

In person, the DSSD is much more blue than most relumes I have seen, and blue lume with a longer exposure tends to look more aqua in the photo.

Del

Interesting comparisons. I guess the only way to know how they compare is to photograph a gen and rep side by side to remove the camera settings issue. Sadly I have neither so can't help! :lol:

JohnG

Yup, agreed, judging color from a photograph (digital OR traditional negative film) is impossible. I have copied several paintings at the Prado Museum in Madrid and having sat in front of those paintings for upwards of six weeks each, I can state as absolute fact that there are NO photographs in publication that accurately represent the colors of those paintings. If the reds are correct, the blues are off, or the yellows... It is impossible to get absolutely perfect balance. What's more, the same painting will look different in real life - depending on whether the light is artificial (and what kind) or on whether it is natural but indirect or direct, the time of day, cloudy or clear, and even on the colors of the floor, walls, or even the color of the clothing worn by the person standing right in front of the painting.

Want to know if your lume is correct? Compare it in the dark next to a gen.

Wiz
I guess the only way to know how they compare is to photograph a gen and rep side by side to remove the camera settings issue.

Yup, and more than that it would take to compare a gen with several reps, some with facory lume, some relumed, but I don't think I've seen such a pic so far.

kwatch
:fme: oohhh the lume on the gen bezel pearl... I pine for it... Wiz the lume on the rep looks spot on, but like the others say, the side by side is a must....now only to find Gen owner willing to make the comparison...

dingle

I know this pic is not the best, but it somewhat shows the lume comparison. The pearl is gen and the dial and hands are rep superlumed from the factory.....

this is a 16610 sub, but you get the idea. I need to learn how to take proper lume shots but here goes

6953121216_39ef8fcdc3_c.jpg

Amit

Wiz is totally right.

The settings when taking pics makes a huge difference to the color of the lume.

I've even had blue lume come out green in some pics.

KeNnY

I like this :) Check second hand, around 4 Seconds Exposure time.

DSSD20Lume.jpg

Yeah but Wiz basically sums things up, white balance, exposures, offsets all these things change the final color.

You can make even a watch with really weak factory rep lume, glow like torch if set to 6 sec+ exposure. Or more :) Here is 32 second exposure time, and almost goes to aqua from Green.

22.jpg

Luthier

Quick shot of 4 y/old DSSD (left) and brand new Luthmariner (right)

P1090339.jpg

dingle

swip swamp the hands and bezels and all will match :)

Luthier

Good idea.

Calling CLS...

:D

jeffw69

Quick shot of 4 y/old DSSD (left) and brand new Luthmariner (right)

P1090339.jpg

:rofl:

calling Stevie Wonder.

I know this pic is not the best, but it somewhat shows the lume comparison. The pearl is gen and the dial and hands are rep superlumed from the factory.....

this is a 16610 sub, but you get the idea. I need to learn how to take proper lume shots but here goes

6953121216_39ef8fcdc3_c.jpg

there is a tutorial here somewhere on pic taking. :B):

powderfreak

One could check the light temperature settings to improve the pictures, but I agree, it's next to impossible to get it right at a picture.