Sign in to follow this  
DSSDRep

Hi there! New owner here....

DSSDRep

A friend of mine gave me this watch as a surprise and needless to say, I'm really pleased with it. She didn't know much about the world of watches and I think she got lucky as the more and more I look, the more pleased I am.

What do you guys think? Be honest! Does it look good or just run of the mill? I own a gen Submariner, but I'm thinking I may sell it and pick up a gen DSSD.

245bx4y.jpg

2i930j.jpg

Member X

Welcome :)

Post a directly face-on zoomed-in shot of the dial and bezel and we may be able to identify the version :)

jeffw69

welcome to the forum. :)

Amit

looks good enough, as long as she didn't over pay for it than it's all good.

DSSDRep

Thanks so far.... here it is.

2hgz0v4.jpg

Luthier

So... you have gen. Sub, going to buy gen. DSSD... Why you're on replicas Forum?

Just asking...

;)

dingle

welcome to the nuthouse :)

Pob
So... you have gen. Sub, going to buy gen. DSSD... Why you're on replicas Forum?

Just asking...

;)

No he won't Luth! Once he see how good reps are he'll never buy gen again and will probably sell that Sub to buy more reps :D

Welcome by the way ;)

DSSDRep

I have a gen Submariner, but my issue with them has always been the size. I prefer a larger watch. Then I got given this rep and I love the thing and as such, makes me consider selling my sub and picking up a gen DSSD.

Nonetheless, for the time being, this is what I have. And I love it. Pobjednik might be right, I may never go back!

The one thing that gets me on this watch, unless you guys point out more problems (lol!) is the bezel. When you turn it, it just doesn't FEEL right. Plus it's got a small amount of play in it that I'm not used to. Admittingly, I have no idea what a gen DSSD would feel like as I don't have one, I'm just assuming it's similar to my Sub.

I'm not a watch "snob" so to speak. I just like a well made, nice watch. I don't care who makes it or why. The point is, if it's made out of a good material, has a good movement and looks good, I like it.

Edited by DSSDRep

Luthier

Yeah, had same problem with size... But Rolex custom made one for me, 43mm, so, now I'm happy.

;)

01-4.jpg

Amit

Yes they even named it after you.

The luthmariner. Lol

DSSDRep

Hahahah. Very nice. Rolex needs to actually make that watch and it'd be sold. Tomorrow.

So, any idea what kind of watch this one is and the quality compared to some of the better rep's you've all seen? I'm obviously new here, you guys have seen it all, that's why I ask. (I posted a better face-up pic)

Crusader

Btw, who came up with that Luthmariner name?.... I even saw it update in the ''watch glossary'' topic for noobs :D

jeffw69

Riiiiiiiight.

cuz ur speshul!

Luthier

Hard to say, Rep., need to know what movement inside. It could be $128 watch with 21j, or $300 with Swiss ETA. Cases/dials are good on both now.

Crusader

Maybe movement shot would be better option? So we can tell if it's 21j or some ETA clone...

DSSDRep

Maybe movement shot would be better option? So we can tell if it's 21j or some ETA clone...

It's a genuine ETA 2836. Supposedly. I've had it a week or a little more and when set with my other watches it seems to vary between -2/+2 every 48-72 hours if that makes sense. Any glaring problems with the case / bezel / face that you guys can see?

Edited by DSSDRep

myaz

Subs and DSSDs are some of the most repped watches so they've got most kinks worked out by now. I don't see any glaring errors. Certainly others may comment as well. The pearl does look a teensy weensy bitsy translucent. If you are not a "snob", like a well made, nice watch, and it has the ETA as you mentionned, this fits the bill, and only you could decide that spending thousands and thousands more is worth getting a functional gas escape valve.

DSSDRep

Subs and DSSDs are some of the most repped watches so they've got most kinks worked out by now. I don't see any glaring errors. Certainly others may comment as well. The pearl does look a teensy weensy bitsy translucent. If you are not a "snob", like a well made, nice watch, and it has the ETA as you mentionned, this fits the bill, and only you could decide that spending thousands and thousands more is worth getting a functional gas escape valve.

It's funny you say that last sentence. The more and more I wear this, the less I wear my gen sub and the less I seem to want to spend the $10800 (or $8700 used) for a gen DSSD.

In the end I'll probably cave in though.

Luthier

Seems you're on the right way.

Pob

It's funny you say that last sentence. The more and more I wear this, the less I wear my gen sub and the less I seem to want to spend the $10800 (or $8700 used) for a gen DSSD.

I told you that's what will happen :D

myaz

I hear you. Sometimes, you just got to satisfy the gen urge. Good thing about the rep is that the pain is less if you get a scratch on it. I have several gens and since I've found this site, The pain I get is the regret from trying to justify spending what I did on gens. At the very least, I was able to help the CEOs of a couple marques get closer to their next yacht or jet. :B):

DSSDRep

Does anyone do a modification to the bezel to make it rotate smoother / quieter? That's the glaring issue I see with this watch compared to my sub. As I said above, I've not turned the bezel on a gen DSSD so I can't be sure it's not similar, but it certainly seems louder / clickier than a gen.

Luthier

Little drop of WD40.

Pob

Lol :D