Sign in to follow this  
franki

Sunglasses

Craig88

So who of you has actually tested his rep glasses...? :popcorn:

I thought TB was meaning he would get the gen at decent prices?

sam77

What a jack ASS!!

Craig88

What a jack ASS!!

Drunken post??

powderfreak

So who of you has actually tested his rep glasses...? :popcorn:

I thought TB was meaning he would get the gen at decent prices?

Yes, but that's not who I was referring to - you wrote "it'sa pity there is not a way of safely getting reps glasses". I think you just based that opinion on what has been said before, but lots of it is wrong. We have the rep sunglasses discussion every few weeks, and depending on who chims in first it's either a constant stream of "NOPE, they make you blind" or an actual discussion about it.

I know for a fact there are reps with UV protection just like in gen glasses. I even believe that most, if not all of them have. Why is that? Because UV protection is very cheap and you can get your stuff tested before you wear it. That's how I know that I had rep glasses with UV protection and that's the way others found out. BTW, the biggest problem with reps is imo not UV protection but rather the build quality, especially the hinges - they are of poor quality and sooner or later will be too weak work properly.

If you want a nice pair of glasses, you can try to get them cheaper somewhere, like from the guy mentioned above or (as I did) in a TK Maxx. For example I paid about 20€ for quite rare and even polarized Fossil glasses that would usually cost about 60-80€ (polarized Wayfarer would be about 165€ here). Or I found another pair of nice glasses from Oxygen (I think?), nothing fancy for 13€, but they look very much like Persol's.

We all know it's possible to buy glasses for ten bux with UV protection, why would a rep that costs the same but just falls out of another press not have glasses like cheap, normal sunglasses?!

What a jack ASS!!

Talkin' to me?

jeffw69

I did pretty good with my Persols at eyegoodies.com

drrod

Not sure where the OP lives, but here in NA, Costco has good prices on sunglasses. They carry various brands, at various times, but usually always have Serengeti's and RayBans. The models that they carry change from time to time. I have used Serengetis for years. Their quality, combined with costco's and Serengeti's service makes them a good buy for me.

Rod

highergame

from what i've learned about them... I agree with some post above. I usally buy about 3 pairs in mexico when i go on trips for about 7 bucks each and what I learned is anything with screws, post that can move for your nose or lots of parts that bend count on them not lasting long at all. But the solid plastic ones like fake oakleys and such with plastic nose pieces have lasted me a good year or two until I get some new ones. I have even got them uv protected for very cheap. How ever latley I found that it's a little more expensive but worth just going to ebay and buying gens used off someone that took very well care of them. for ex. I bought my girl a pair of dior sunglasses for 46.00 usd i believe and they looked brand new still, not bad when you think about how my friend bought his wife a pair almost the same for 450.00. So I think I'll shop on ebay for used one first then if nothing else get reps or cheap ones from t maxx i can make sure have the lens in them to protect my eyes.

jeffw69

$7 mexican sunglasses? are you crazy?

highergame

with new polarized lens on them..... there good as ones you'd buy somewhere else..

Baldrick

I buy good quality Ray-Bans reps here in Thailand, as long as you look for a good frame, UV protection and lenses with no barrel distortion, you'll be A-OK.....I've been wearing both gen and reps for years with no problem....I get my eyes checked every 6 months..no problem...!

I f somebody wants to send me $30.00...I'll ship them a pair of classic Ray Ban "Tortoiseshell" Green or Brown 55mm Wayfarers for evaluation, that includes postage and packing, you'll see very little difference between rep and gen !!!

On a side note. most corrective lens frames are made in China ( yes even the fashion brand frames )....I buy a couple of pairs of Wayfarer reps, when I go back to Scotland, I get new corrected and tinted lenses inserted in them, very inexpensive.

not_finbar

*Apparently* (and i'm afraid i have no refs to back this up) polycarbonate inherently provides UV protection. It would be harder to make rep sunglasses that didn't offer UV protection than ones that do. Having said that. i have some fake Oakleys but when it's actually sunny i always wear gen Smiths or Raybans.

Also, fake Raybans with glass lenses - i have no idea what they do or don't offer in terms of UV protection.

SjefKroket

totally offtopic. I was standing in a sun glasses shop about 1 month ago, in Muscat - Oman. (beautiful country).

The dude was also selling rayban glasses. I personally have original Ranbdolh Engineering (Avion), and i love it. The frame is good. etc. i love it.

lot's of friends from me, all have Raybans. And also those frames, are significantly of a higher quality, then those sunglasses i used to buy for 10 dollars at a fuel station 5 years ago.

Anyway, i was standing in the that shop in Muscat. The frames from those Raybans where sooooo cheap. i would have never bought it there. And i doubt if it would be original, i think it were reps. Ofcourse, i don't know for sure. and will never.

anyway, ontopic. The sunglass you are planning to use every day, like driving, flying, whatsoever. I would buy original. You only have 1 pair of eyes.

And for special occasions, good match with your clotches, mood, etc, i would buy a rep sunglasses.

And please, dont buy those Rayban aviator look sunglasses, unless you are a pilot.... It's been a trend for couple years, and it just doesn't look right... (my personal opinion)

SjefK.

Del

And please, dont buy those Rayban aviator look sunglasses, unless you are a pilot.... It's been a trend for couple years, and it just doesn't look right... (my personal opinion)

Really? Well you won't like what I bought last week then.....

..........a pair of polarised Ray Ban Aviators. But it's ok because I used to fly choppers back in 'Nam. :rolleyes:

raybanaviators.jpg

Amit

..........a pair of polarised Ray Ban Aviators. But it's ok because I used to fly choppers back in 'Nam. :rolleyes:

raybanaviators.jpg

Nice Del.

Must have set you back a ton?

jeffw69

raybanaviators.jpg

:rofl:

dingle

:lol:

Akira

Guys,

Baldy and a few others said it already.

99% of the rep sunglasses have enough UV protection.

Get them tested to be sure, that's for free if you ask nicely.

Though, most of the reps are shit anyways.

Rep of a Ray Ban? Really? I've bought one once and thrashed it the same day.

The gens are not that expensive and quality build, so it makes little sense for me to buy a rep.

However, everyone who has a little more to spend.

Get a nice pair of Persol sunglasses.

Price of a Ray Ban + $100-150, but totally worth it.

If you have even more to spend...go on the hunt for a vintage Persol from the 60-70's

They are $600+ but simply amazing.

I have a couple of sunglasses, some of them Designer brands and have come to the conclusion,

that it's always better to buy brands exclusively making sunglasses.

DFH

Guys,

Baldy and a few others said it already.

99% of the rep sunglasses have enough UV protection.

Get them tested to be sure, that's for free if you ask nicely.

Though, most of the reps are shit anyways.

The gens are not that expensive and quality build, so it makes little sense for me to buy a rep.

If you have even more to spend...go on the hunt for a vintage Persol from the 60-70's

They are $600+ but simply amazing.

I have a couple of sunglasses, some of them Designer brands and have come to the conclusion,

that it's always better to buy brands exclusively making sunglasses.

Akira - you and Baldrick seem to know more than most about these things, so would love your input on this.

I had read recently that besides the UVB issue (which even rep glasses protect against), the other possible potential damages done by rep glasses and sunglasses had to do with the lack of UVA protection, that can actually damage the lens and could cause cataracts, and the issue of proper thickness of the glass which is standardized in gens regarding UV protection - but certainly not standardized with reps. They also mentioned badly/irregularly cut lenses which can subtly distort vision,

I am sure that like watches, the quality of rep glasses is ever improving, and that many are produced by factories that make gens (like the Hublot/H Factory does with rep watches), but I am far more weary of buying rep glasses than watches due to these potential issues that could affect vision/health down the line...

Is the info I read outdated already, or still cause for concern?

Cheers,

D.

jeffw69

Porsche Design baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

porsche-design-sunglasses-yoko-ono-2-650x298.jpg

Baldrick

:lol:.... @Jeff having a laugh again....posting Luthier's Elvis sunglasses ;)

O'Rlly.....I have 4x pair, 1x of which is over 3 years old...the other 3x are between 1 and 3 years, all with sprung legs / strong frames and good distortion free lenses....but then again, I've seen members on here who thrashed their new rep watch the same day as receiving it :B):

And what exactly are the objective factors that have lead you to the conclusion that Persol sunglasses are "totally worth it" !!!

10:10 Watch Repair

SjefK.

So you're saying they look OK on a pilot? how do you know? When someone is wearing aviators do you say, 'they look like crap' until they tell you they're a pilot and then it looks good? Or is it only OK to wear them in a cockpit? In which case do you spend a lot of time in cockpits which lead you to this conclusion?

Yeah, aviators have never been cool...

15-robertredfordthreedaysofthecondor.jpg

DFH

SjefK.

So you're saying they look OK on a pilot? how do you know? When someone is wearing aviators do you say, 'they look like crap' until they tell you they're a pilot and then it looks good? Or is it only OK to wear them in a cockpit? In which case do you spend a lot of time in cockpits which lead you to this conclusion?

Yeah, aviators have never been cool...

15-robertredfordthreedaysofthecondor.jpg

+1000

Redford was and still is too cool .... brought military aviators to the common man...

Guanaco

SjefK.

The hell are you babbling on about? Ray-Ban Aviators have remained a staple of fashion because they look good. And it's been a trend since the 1960's for a good reason, just like the Submariner, but hey, I'm sure you'll say we need to be divers so we can pull them off, right? lol, some people.

Baldrick

If Ray Bans were cool enough for Audrey Hepburn in the 50'....

2393Audrey-2.jpg

Robert Redford in the 60's

denim+shirt+++pea+coat+++Ray+Ban+aviators+++Robert+Redford+++Three+Days+of+the+Condor.jpg

Tom Cruise in the 80's

Top-Gun-tom-cruise-374702_382_478.jpg

....right up to Johnny Depp in the Oughties...

2400210_f520[1].jpg

AND.......if they're 'cool' enough for this guy....then they belong on the 'cool wall'...

350.jpg

...etc etc....then they're OK in my book....while the Aviators have a tendency to be 'periodically' fashionable...the classic Wayfarers have been exactly that....classic...and ''en vogue' since 1956.... ;)

DFH

+1000

well said...