10:10 Watch Repair

of course, let's not forget Persol:

Steve_McQueen_Persol.jpg

DFH

McQUEEN!!!!

jacobarch

so hot!

Baldrick

Yep McQueen was 'cool' also...let's not forget that RB and Persol are sister brands in the same holding company...I don't think Persol are any more 'cool' than RB as RB are more cool then Persol.....they're both great sunglasses !

to be fair, McQueen could have been wearing these and he would still look cool:

thumbnailaspx.jpg

DFH

to be fair, McQueen could have been wearing these and he would still look cool:

thumbnailaspx.jpg

True that. Effortless style ... a man's man if there ever was one...

UmpaHimself

of course, let's not forget Persol:

Steve_McQueen_Persol.jpg

+11111111111111111111

Gahd damn what a fuckin gangster.

DFH

Steve McQueen

OD-AE287_ICONIC_G_20110215224918.jpg

Everett Collection

Steve McQueen, 1968

The Look

: Blue Steel (shawl collars, turtlenecks, flat-front khakis, dungarees, shearling coats, windbreakers).

OD-AE290_ICONIC_G_20110215225107.jpg

The Key Accessory: Foldable Persol 714 shades with custom blue lenses (re-issued by Persol this year in special edition), $360, sunglasshut.com

Style Moment:

"The Thomas Crown Affair," 1968.

Did you know?

One of McQueen's original Persols worn in the film sold at auction in 2006 for $70,000.

OD-AE290_ICONIC_G_20110215225107.jpg

The Key Accessory: Foldable Persol 714 shades with custom blue lenses (re-issued by Persol this year in special edition), $360, sunglasshut.com

Bought mine on ebay for $160.

DFH

After Chris' reminder to all of us on the timeless and eternal "cool" of Steve McQueen - I think an Off-Topic thread dedicated to this style icon is In order....

Baldrick

Agreed... :)

If they ever decide to make a bio-pic of McQueen.....this is the guy to play the part !!!

DAMIEN LEWIS

Shooting+Stars+Desert+Nights+Benefit+2009+Fys6LaZJdXnl.jpg

DFH

Excellent actor - love him in Homeland series - good casting, Baldy!!!

Crusader

And please, dont buy those Rayban aviator look sunglasses, unless you are a pilot.... It's been a trend for couple years, and it just doesn't look right... (my personal opinion)

SjefK.

So you're saying they look OK on a pilot? how do you know? When someone is wearing aviators do you say, 'they look like crap' until they tell you they're a pilot and then it looks good? Or is it only OK to wear them in a cockpit? In which case do you spend a lot of time in cockpits which lead you to this conclusion?

Yeah, aviators have never been cool...

15-robertredfordthreedaysofthecondor.jpg

+1, same thing as wearing divers or pilots watch.

''Dude, I'm a pilot''

''OK, you can wear aviators...''

:rofl:

jeffw69

:lol:.... @Jeff having a laugh again....posting Luthier's Elvis sunglasses ;)

Rep of a Ray Ban? Really? I've bought one once and thrashed it the same day.

The gens are not that expensive and quality build, so it makes little sense for me to buy a rep.

O'Rlly.....I have 4x pair, 1x of which is over 3 years old...the other 3x are between 1 and 3 years, all with sprung legs / strong frames and good distortion free lenses....but then again, I've seen members on here who thrashed their new rep watch the same day as receiving it :B):

However, everyone who has a little more to spend.

Get a nice pair of Persol sunglasses.

Price of a Ray Ban + $100-150, but totally worth it.

And what exactly are the objective factors that have lead you to the conclusion that Persol sunglasses are "totally worth it" !!!

Actually Yoko Ono, but yes, Luthier-style :rofl:

I have had Rayban Wayfarers most of my life, just recently picked up some Persol 2720s and I love 'em.

kolchak

Im sure rep glasses look the part and can offer uv protection but having muai jims & costa del mal for things like off shore fishing is totally worth the price of admission. Nothing beats the performance of high quality lenses.

The only thing worse than wearing cheap lenses for day long sports activities is the empty feeling that comes after realizing i left another pair of $200 glasses on some convenience store counter.....

Akira

Rep of a Ray Ban? Really? I've bought one once and thrashed it the same day.

The gens are not that expensive and quality build, so it makes little sense for me to buy a rep.

O'Rlly.....I have 4x pair, 1x of which is over 3 years old...the other 3x are between 1 and 3 years, all with sprung legs / strong frames and good distortion free lenses....but then again, I've seen members on here who thrashed their new rep watch the same day as receiving it :B):

You must have found really good ones then.

But remember most members aren't personally strolling the Asian rep markets as you do.

So for someone who orders them online, with a 50/50 chance of getting crap - why gamble over $50-80 saving?

That's all I'm saying, however if you want to become the new forum dealer for sunglasses.

Congrats - I doubt you will tho ;)

However, everyone who has a little more to spend.

Get a nice pair of Persol sunglasses.

Price of a Ray Ban + $100-150, but totally worth it.

And what exactly are the objective factors that have lead you to the conclusion that Persol sunglasses are "totally worth it" !!!

Objective? I'm not a sunglasses builder, nor do I run a sunglasses production factory or am a optician.

I was voicing my personal opinion.

And subjectively, if you hold the same wayfarer style sunglasses from Persol and RB in hand, you'll see the difference yourself.

The finish of the Persol feels superior to me, both in frame and glasses.

And last but not least, everyone is wearing a RB. So l simply was suggesting, with a Persol, you'll get a very distinctive look at a excellent quality -

for a expensive, yet not unrealistic, price.

:B):

NCRich

Who doesn't love rep sunglasses. I've got 3 pair. Guess I'll be blind.

tito

my Persol's and Pam's

img0858bz.jpg

mianos

Polycarbonates are opaque to the shorter wavelength UV radiation, the most dangerous. It is a property of the molecular structure of the material. They do transmit some of the higher wavelengths on the other hand even though it's trivial to apply a coat to block that but who would trust a price driven manufacturer to spend the extra couple of cents, in particular the hassle of an added manufacturing process. Would I trust rep glasses? Sure, but probably not at the $10 price point.

Baldrick
Would I trust rep glasses? Sure, but probably not at the $10 price point.

Absolutely....you need to spend at least $11.... ;)

SjefKroket

oke oke, sorry sorry, points are made

But i see a lot of people with aviator look sunglasses, and just doesn't look right:)

i have some friend, with 2 raybans. He first had that aviator look, (dark glasses, gold frame), and he only uses it in the car, because it just doesn't look right for daily use. So he bought some other rayban, with little bit smaller glasses....

maybe it's better for me to stop talking...

back to topic, i would recommend a gen.

SjefK

Lord Flashheart

I find it's easier to have a small boy follow me around holding a shade to protect me from harsh sunlight.

dingle

I find it's easier to have a small boy follow me around holding a shade to protect me from harsh sunlight.

:rofl: