Sign in to follow this  
Hazz

wobbly crown (Dentist not needed)

Hazz

The crown on my Cali is loose, wobbles about when unscrewed from case, any ideas how to tighten, don't think the tube is a screw in type. cheers in advance.

crown1JPG.jpg

Wiz

Maybe the spring loading system is weak, it's quite common with rep crowns. Unfortunately I don't know any good fix for that, maybe someone else does?

onzenuub

I can post a picture of something that is wobly, only it isn't a crown. :D

Hazz

It dosn't seem to be the spring, feels more like within the crown, how is the short bit held into the crown ?

Wiz

What I mean is that a spring loaded crown is made out of 2 pieces, so one can move inside the other to let the spring do its work. On rep crowns the metals used are not always good, and these 2 pieces might not held very well together on the long run.

Ephry73

Often time with these crowns(specially if pliers were used to tighten the stem to it) the shaft holding the spring and the indexed stem threaded part wear out or become out of spec. You can try to reshape the outer shaft again, or change the spring, but ultimately a new crown is the cheapest and quickest solution. Let us know how it goes. E

Hazz

Yup know what you mean, spring goes into tube, that is OK it is the tube going into crown, that is loose, difficult one to explain.

10:10 Watch Repair

Yup know what you mean, spring goes into tube, that is OK it is the tube going into crown, that is loose, difficult one to explain.

I think that's what Wiz is saying.

Regardless, you have to replace the crown AFAIK, I have tried to fix them and it doesn't work.

Hazz

Like you said cls, I tried to fix, no joy, new crown on the way. :)