Sign in to follow this  
B5GLX

GMT Master II DOA - 3 options: Opinions?

B5GLX

I received a GMT Master II (Asian ETA) today from a TD. It looks great, but it was DOA. As soon as I opened the box I could see that the second hand was not moving at all.

Everything else seems to work fine. I can manually wind the watch, set the time, the GMT hand, as well as the date. The watch just won't start. Other than the rotor moving when I shake it, There is no sound from the watch at all. I tried slapping the watch in my palm, front, back, side--but it just doesn't run at all. I have not opened the case back because I'm a noob.

I am in contact with the TD so I am not worried that this will get settled, but am thinking about options and was hoping more experienced members might have some good advice.

Would a problem like this be typically easy to fix? Or could it be something more major? Or is it just too hard to guess?

This is what I think are my options:

Option 1: Let TD handle all repairs/replacement.

Pros: If it's anything major, they'll take care of it.

Cons: Cost and time to ship back to China and return again.

Option 2: Find a local watch smith in Canada (or USA) to repair it.

Pros: Don't have to ship it overseas; can have the watch serviced and water tested at the same time.

Cons: If the repair is major, it may cost more in the long run or they might not be able to fix it.

Option 3: Have it serviced by someone in Taipei.

Pros: My dad is flying to Taiwan on Friday. He can go to a local watch smith there and ask them to repair and service and water testing.

Cons: If the repair is major, they might not be able to fix it. I have to trust my dad to take the rep through customs and hope he doesn't get hassled.

I'm not sure which is the better option to choose. Opinions?

johnnoblin

I fly in and out of TPE a few times a year and know the area pretty well. There are excellent watchsmiths in Taipei but unless your dad knows the area/speaks a bit of Taiwanese, etc. like anywhere in Asia you will be charged more as a foreigner. Customs in Taipei is strict but they don't hassle business travelers as much as they do tourists.

You could always have your dad ship it from TPE back to China with a US return address, that would expedite things considerably.

B5GLX

You could always have your dad ship it from TPE back to China with a US return address, that would expedite things considerably.

That's another option that I hadn't thought about.

My dad was born and raised there and flies back and forth quite often, but it would most likely be one of my uncles who lives there who would recommend a watchsmith to go to. If he took it, do you think it would be better for my dad to have the watch in his checked luggage or carry it on him?

johnnoblin

That's another option that I hadn't thought about.

My dad was born and raised there and flies back and forth quite often, but it would most likely be one of my uncles who lives there who would recommend a watchsmith to go to. If he took it, do you think it would be better for my dad to have the watch in his checked luggage or carry it on him?

Depending on whether he is importing goods or not. 99.9% of the time if you go through the nothing to declare line they won't even x-ray your bags (just like every other airport) and on the off chance they do, a single watch is nothing out of the ordinary. Importing goods can be trickier as they hand inspect bags pretty thoroughly, you're best off with it in your pocket at that point.

greg_r

Sometimes these things get damaged by rough handling in transit. It's happened to most of us at some time or another.

Your dealer will certainly sort it out for you. If, however, you prefer not to return it, getting it serviced by a good watchsmith will, at least, ensure that it's the best, most reliable watch it can be.

I'd recommend having a word with cls - he's in the US and does superb work. Contact him via his subforum here.

B5GLX

Thanks for the suggestion. I've sent CLS a pm. I was thinking of getting the watch serviced and waterproofed even before it arrived DOA, so I thought if it was a simple fix, I would just save some extra travel time.

Kama'aina

What was the outcome of this issue? I have virtually the same problem.

B5GLX

What was the outcome of this issue? I have virtually the same problem.

Well, it's still in progress but here's a report of what's happened so far:

1. Jul 5 - Shipped back to China through regular air mail as instructed by authorized dealer. Estimated time of arrival: 20 days.

2. Aug 1 - Dealer reports that he has received the watch and to wait for further information.

This is a great relief to me because I was so worried about the watch getting lost in the mail without a tracking number. I have a second DOA watch (UPO) from this particular dealer, that I'm hanging on to for now until I see what happens with this one.

I'm not saying the name of the dealer right now because their customer service and communication has been top notch. They are very highly regarded on the forum. Once everything has been concluded I will make a full disclosure.

Hazz

I had the same sort of prob with my GMTII ,decided just to send it ti Wiz, DW alligned, relumed, arrived back today and am so happy, watch is great.

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=32123

P.S sounds as if TD is sorting it out :) have no worries.

Kama'aina

I had the same sort of prob with my GMTII ,decided just to send it ti Wiz, DW alligned, relumed, arrived back today and am so happy, watch is great.

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=32123

P.S sounds as if TD is sorting it out :) have no worries.

This link leads to a discussion about Rolex crowns. Is that what you intended?

B5GLX

Update:

3. Aug. 6 - Watch is repaired and dealer gives me tracking number for China Post.

4. Aug. 15 - Watch arrives at my door. When I open the envelope I see that the styrofoam box inside is crushed.

4ac69692-14e2-a332.jpg

Luckily, the watch inside seems to be functioning properly and is now on my wrist :).

4ac69692-1500-a23b.jpg

I'm going to monitor how it keeps time and will make a new post complete with more pictures. However, my saga has not yet finished. Now that everything went well with the GMT, I will begin the process of returning my second DOA watch, the UPO.