Sign in to follow this  
10:10 Watch Repair

Is it me, or are these people out of their minds?

WTF with sales threads? Do any of the rest of you just shake your heads in amazement at some of the FS threads? Two types that amaze me:

1. people who buy mutli-thousand dollar reps and think they have resale value. Sure, there is a limited audience for these, and someone may buy them eventually, but no one should think it amazing that a $2000+ fake watch sits for a while.

2. those who add up all their mods and claim that the buyer is getting a deal because they paid $1500 and they're selling their watch for $1200... Besides the possibility of depreciation, mods / investment do not always translate to resale value. Spend all you want, but you probably won't get it back. It's true with most items, not just reps, no one is getting full value when reselling for those 21" rims, or that designer suit.

Don't want to crap on anyone's thread, but I sure am tempted sometimes to post a reply to some of the more ridiculous ones.

Novesh

Well what can I say?

I own a few of those 2k, 3k, 4k+ reps and well they do have resale value in certain markets...obviously not in most places but there is a market for it....

I know what you mean and I understand it.

greg_r

I get where you're coming from - there's a running gag on here about "RG" prices...

If we were to see a tendency in that direction here, I'll confess that I would not be unhappy to see some threadcrapping going on. I've no objection to the guys who have a special one-of-a-kind hand-built watch and expect to get a good price for it. Whilst some of those go for prices that I certainly wouldn't consider paying for a rep, there's an argument for the case that says they're worth what someone will pay for them. I also do not have a problem with those who have a now-discontinued and sought-after rep, and are looking to get a decent return - that's just market forces and again, it's down to the buyer to decide whether the watch is worth that to them.

I do, however, have problems with the type of folks who will buy a bog-standard cartel rep, get it serviced and expect to get ALL their money back - including what they paid for shipping - often taking advantage of a newbie to do so, or those that have bought a cheapie rep at far too high a price from one of the ripoff merchants and are trying to cut their losses...

Our policy is that people are encouraged to comment on sales threads if they believe that something is amiss - whether they do so in the thread itself, or simply PM myself or Col is up to the individual. People should expect to get a fair price for their watch, but profiteering is not welcome here...

I think what gets me on the super expensive stuff is the thread bumpers who "can't believe this hasn't sold" although they would never buy anything at that price point.

To Novesh, I love the big dollar reps, don't get me wrong, but buy 'em for yourself, the resale will probably suck. It's driven by something that didn't exist a couple years ago and may not exist soon.

I do have a couple of highly modded Pam's that I wouldn't mind selling though.

Drhulee

What about when people expect to get very near what they paid for the watch, just because they've only had it a week or two. When I say "very near", I mean within $20 or $30 of purchase price.

I mean, come on. It's not like you are going to be able to go back to the dealer they got it from, if something goes wrong within a month or three. And I'm sure the seller is including a warranty with it.

And why do sellers never realistically take into account wear and tear? I don't care if you baby your watches, it's the insides I'm concerned about.

Then again, they're are some honest and reasonable members too :)

Novesh

The super high end reps I have are all self made or self aquired parts...they are all one of a kinds and there is simply no real price I can put on them since they are literal one of a kind watches.

My personal issue with rep resale is the aforementioned attempts at getting nearly same price paid for a used rep.

Whenever I sell anything its always at a serious discount, unless of course I put it on, took it off and put it up for sale....watches which are literally new should be expected to sell within $50 of the new price, minus shipping.

greg_r
What about when people expect to get very near what they paid for the watch, just because they've only had it a week or two. When I say "very near", I mean within $20 or $30 of purchase price.

I mean, come on. It's not like you are going to be able to go back to the dealer they got it from, if something goes wrong within a month or three. And I'm sure the seller is including a warranty with it.

And why do sellers never realistically take into account wear and tear? I don't care if you baby your watches, it's the insides I'm concerned about.

Then again, they're are some honest and reasonable members too :)

I've always worked on the basis that I hope to get something between 50 and 70% of what I paid when I resell - assuming that the watch is in good nick and actually worth having. I usually end up pricing at around 65% including shipping, which I think is fair...

I've not really got much of a problem with folks selling an almost new watch at a fairly small reduction - so long as they're upfront about how much the watch can be bought for new (from a good dealer - not a what they paid from a ripoff merchant) and honest about how old it is or how little it has been worn. If the buyer is presented with all the correct info, it's up to them to decide whether it is worth it - if it's overpriced, the market will decide and the watch won't sell. I do object to certain folks (notably one particular asshole over on RWGJr) who buys overpriced canal street shit and then tries to sell it on at well over the price of a decent budget version from one of our trusted dealers. If he tries that over here (he's a member here but so far only lurks) he's going to have a difficult time.... :D

Drhulee

I suppose it is up to the buyer, of a "new" watch, to determine if it is worth saving a few bucks (say %10 off), but not be able to get an exchange or refund a couple of months down the road if it craps out on him. And of course, he better be certain that the buyer better be a trustworthy member - who's to say that it was actually just received in the mail, and never worn?

So how ya doin' Novesh?

greg_r
The super high end reps I have are all self made or self aquired parts...they are all one of a kinds and there is simply no real price I can put on them since they are literal one of a kind watches.

My personal issue with rep resale is the aforementioned attempts at getting nearly same price paid for a used rep.

Whenever I sell anything its always at a serious discount, unless of course I put it on, took it off and put it up for sale....watches which are literally new should be expected to sell within $50 of the new price, minus shipping.

Well said.

No choice then,

I need to set up a fake RG account so I can call bullshit on sales threads.

mbjoer

Agree in principle that a second hand anything is worth less than a new one. Not least a rep-watch.

Having said that I also know that there are some watches I would not live with out of the box. AR and re-lume and 7750 servicing by a known watchsmith are high on my to-do list for some watches. So when someone has had it done, my little head starts wondering how much it would all have cost me and what the asking price (delivered) is.

If that someone is also someone with a good feedback located within your own customs area the total package may be better than getting the watch from a dealer in China. Sometimes it makes sense to pay a bit more.

Edited by mbjoer

If that someone is also someone with a good feedback located within your own customs area the total package may be better than getting the watch from a dealer in China. Sometimes it makes sense to pay a bit more.

Yeah, but I'm talking about the sellers asking $1200 for Cartel watches and the like. I think I just have a hard time with stupidity. I feel compelled to respond. Whether or not that's my own issue, well...

Drhulee

Yeah, but I'm talking about the sellers asking $1200 for Cartel watches and the like. I think I just have a hard time with stupidity. I feel compelled to respond. Whether or not that's my own issue, well...

Are you talking completey un-modded cartel? Then of course comes the argument of what you consider a "mod" :thumbsup:

Novesh

Are you talking completey un-modded cartel? Then of course comes the argument of what you consider a "mod" :thumbsup:

unmodded - cartel brand watches should have a sloped decreased value when being sold. It is only standard.

When mods begin to be added to the mix then it should be noted in the asking price and the price should reflex that.

Not a used watch + 1 or 2 mods = new watch price + mod parts + mod price + shipping costs = wtf stupid eh?

Should be used watch price (usually market value - search for others sold and price accordingly - also based on watch condition) + market value for mods, which is not always exactly what was paid for them + (rarity factor + production limitation factor) = final price.

Anything other than that is absolutely retarded.

And I'm chillen Drhurlee, you?

JohnG

Thank God for RG's sales section!!!! As long as it exists and we have "modded" reps, we will never be poor!!!!

dingle
No choice then,

I need to set up a fake RG account so I can call bullshit on sales threads.

:lol: do it.

Not a used watch + 1 or 2 mods = new watch price + mod parts + mod price + shipping costs = wtf stupid eh?

Yep. What's missing from that math is the intrinsic value of a rep.

Put another way, classic car owners say, buy someone else's finished project. You can easily spend $30-40k on a car that's only worth $20k.

Same with reps watches. A rep's value is limited by (among other things) the value of a gen. It's a bit anecdotal, but I would guess a rep's max. value is 20% or less that of a gen. Therefore, when a rep, no matter how nicely modded comes up at 30-40% of the value of a gen, it's overpriced. I would call it stupid, but I don't have a lot of patience.

As an aside: I too have spent way too much modding reps, and, who knows, might list them for too much on RG too.

Drhulee
And I'm chillen Drhurlee, you?

Lookin' good, like a hood should. And chillen like a villain, as well :Whistle: