Sign in to follow this  
Dendo

Improving AR

Dendo

Looking to get some clarification on improving anti-reflective coating on crystals.

Is it a case of simply replacing the crystal with a 'factory' AR'd crystal?

Or is there some way of doing it that does not involve vacuum spraying, ovens and specialized equipment?

Dendo

And here is an exert:

Re: Adding AR Coating to Sapphire Crystal

I can tell you this much form personal experience: A/r coatings are not prohibitively expensive these days. I have a contact who does multiple batches of a/r crystal runs monthly. The price is roughly $55-60 bucks for double sided. This is not the garbage lens crafters quality but a mil-spec coating. Single sided a/r is almost exclusively on the inside to answer your earlier question. Double sided gives additional benefit, but also is a scratch haven, so it would follow reason that single sided coating would be inside the crystal to protect it. The mil-spec coating has 2 options, a mild blueish hue similar to all higher end a/r coatings (very Breitling like), and the newer option that is less hued. Both are remarkable in quality, very tough, and now adorn a couple watches I own that look like they should have come form the AD with it.

mianos

Goin sends the existing crystal to a local lab who redo the AR on the existing crystal. You could also send it to him to do. It only costs about 100 bucks for him to take the crystal out and get it re-coated and put it back. The quality is amazing. Kenny has that watch now, the best part is the crystal, it is like it is invisible and really brings out the sparkle of the polished hands.

Dendo

Thanks Mianos, what is the best way to get in touch with Goin?

best

d