Sign in to follow this  
Kwt

Rolex DateJust 1 - repairing cost.

Kwt

Hi,

My father has a datejust 1 from the 70's. It's been in a draw for over 10 years and has been mistreated.

I am looking to take it to somewhere like Goldsmiths (UK retailer of watches) and get a quote on a new glass face, general servicing and clean up of the bracelet etc. Any idea how much on the cost this would be?

Thanks.

Edited by Kwt

not_finbar

If you don't want to pay AD / Rolex money i can recommend Ryte Time in Leicestershire (Google them for contact details). They won't touch reps so don't ask, but they've serviced and repaired my WWII RAF-issued Cyma at a reasonable cost and treated it very well.

EDIT: although, if you're getting the glass replaced i think you'll have to go with an authorised dealer to get a gen part.

Edited by not_finbar

trailboss99

Well for starters I would avoid Goldsmiths, they will send it off to the RSC (Rolex Service centre) and charge you a fortune.

A better bet by far would be to find a good independent watchmaker who will do the job himself. It will need to be one who can time a Rolex however.

Kwt

Thanks for the advice guys. I don't really know of anyone independent other then the main AD's. I think I would get stung heavily on the cost but then it's cheaper then buying a new Rolex as my father said I can have the watch if I want after it gets repaired.

Member X

Wiz would be my first port of call :)

RolexAddict might also be an option!

10:10 Watch Repair

Hi,

My father has a datejust 1 from the 70's. It's been in a draw for over 10 years and has been mistreated.

I am looking to take it to somewhere like Goldsmiths (UK retailer of watches) and get a quote on a new glass face, general servicing and clean up of the bracelet etc. Any idea how much on the cost this would be?

Thanks.

I would guess AD service is $800-$1200

An independent watch smith $350-$750

watchnut

Took my 2 tone Sub to the AD in Swindon ( Deacons ) they have 2 ex Rolex service guys on site, had the glass, bezel insert and full service done for just over £400. Looked like a new watch. The guy I bought the watch from was gutted when he seen it, as it was really beaten up when he sold it to me. His loss my gain.

Kwt

Took my 2 tone Sub to the AD in Swindon ( Deacons ) they have 2 ex Rolex service guys on site, had the glass, bezel insert and full service done for just over £400. Looked like a new watch. The guy I bought the watch from was gutted when he seen it, as it was really beaten up when he sold it to me. His loss my gain.

£400 is a very reasonable price. When you say AD, did you mean Rolex themselves?

EDIT - would help if I read, you meant Deacons.

Edited by Kwt

Member X

kwt, I have sent you a PM with the details of a horologist recommended to me :)

Kwt

Replied, thanks again Member X.