Sign in to follow this  
wirelessness

Hi, I'm new here. Trying to convince myself it's OK to buy a Replica Watch. Help me understand the mind though???

wirelessness

After searching very hard for a Seamaster Pro 300m homage/sterile watch I was drawn to this Rep forum to learn abou it. Now, I've seen some beautiful reps of this watch and am very compelled. So, then I started looking at Ultimate Sub Reps and am also compelled.

I just don't know how to handle the situation of wearing a fake Rolex or Omega. I don't really want people around me thinking I bought a Rolex...I'm just not sure how I feel about the whole thing.

One thing I do know is the best Reps are seemingly much better than any Sterile Homages I've been looking at for Rolex Sub and SMP 300m. Now I just have to figure out how to reconcile this with myself.

UmpaHimself

The better reps are better than many gens of the same price. The fact is you want a Seamaster Pro. Secondly, I'm assuming since your searches pointed you in this direction you don't have the money to purchase the authentic Omega and you probably won't for a good while. Now, you have the chance to get that watch, at a price you can afford, that will shock you in presence and quality.

Tell people it's fake or don't, who cares? You have YOUR watch. For years before I found this forum I wanted an Omega Planet Ocean. I was dying to have it and it really made me sad that at my current economic status I couldn't afford to own this watch. I can't tell you the pleasure I get every time I look down at my watch and see it. It's just as magnificent as I thought it would be and it only cost me $145 give or take. Explain to me how you can beat that.

I am not Omega's target audience, nor Rolex or Panerai. But now I have the chance to enjoy there designs just as much as any other gen owner. It's kind of like winning the lottery (for me at least).

Luthier

I'd like to have your problem, mate...

:D

Mystery Shopper

Yep, if you could extract the 'I'm not sure if I should buy it' essence & bottle it, then market it to our wives, you would be a zillionaire.

graman

Meh.... Give it tithe fun police.... Oh...wait......same thing....:face palm:

DFH

Try it, you'll like it- we promise.... :giggle:

Seriously - no risk, no reward....

sam77

just buy one for fun

i had many gens for the past 4 years buying and selling them on craigslist ,ebay, friends (mostly chinese and vietnamese)

but i end up buying reps for my self .and i am very happy and surprised with the high quality reps are made now days specially the reps from our trusted dealers

i can use a different watch every day as any rich man .this is a great hobby

specially from the noob & h factory

i recommend you watch international or toro bravo ^_^

go for it :thumbsup2:

Met

I've got a couple of nice gen watches and was very happy with my seamaster, I always wanted a submariner and a Speedmaster. I can't sell the seamaster as it has sentimental value so I was stuck not being able to justify the spend whilst I already had an expensive watch. I had an itch that needed to be scratched "mental masturbation" and was going to cost c£5000 for both second hand, I now have a £100 speedy from torobravo for weekend smashing around DIY etc and a TC submariner on its way, the TC sub is in my view the ultimate replica at the moment and has a genuine bezel fitted so to 99.9% it's as close as real as can be. Of course I still want the 2 gen watches and will get them one day just not for a while yet, ive spent about £650 on the 2 and the reps are still great pieces in their own right and especially the Tc sub will hold good re sale here. The cheap Speedmaster will fly second hand here too I'm sure. Infact decent rep sells here second hand in lightning speed so you can always have a go with a rep watch to see if you like it then get saving for the gen. Equally I bought some Panerai's having always dreamt of owning one realized I hated them and sold them on, I lost £10 on both when I sold them, had I have tried to sell 2 gen Panerai's I suspect I would have lost a shitload more.

So advice is use the forum to chose a decent rep from one of the dealers here don't spend too much money and who gives a shit what others think I've got or don't got, im happy (for now saving some cash, Speedmaster first me thinks)

J0n79

Just started not long ago ... Am on watch no 5 now...You get a lot of watch given x amount of money.

Stick to the popular reps.. You get more value for money with those 90% of the time...

Give it a shot you might enjoy it... :)

Regards,

Jon

Met

In a lifetime of nice watch owning I'd never attempted to even shorten a bracelet before literally would take mine and my wifes omega to a store to get straps looked at cleaned battery replaced in sons tag etc etc didn't know what a crystal is knew nothing about different movement and what each one meant etc now since finding this site it's actually have a hobby I've picked up after a days work in the office it's great sitting at my desk having a fiddle' oh er. I've taken case backs off been changing straps, bought a cheap Rolex to age it out to vintage mildy haven't broke a watch down totally yet from the case, crystal etc but will I'm sure, basically it's the feel good of a different watch a day if you want not the obligation to wear it every day as it cost so much', but more than that I think it's the whole hobby and time spent reading about my next watch that's been fun too. don't take it too seriously as we know they are reps and have some fun, I hate brietlings however since this site I'd probably get a good rep just so I can feel power :-) enjoy

Del

Hello and welcome! :thumbsup2:

I think once you get your first rep then you will wonder why you were concerned in the first place. And then you'll start worrying about other things, like how can I get more money to buy more reps.......;)

Member X

if you need to justify why you need to buy a rep, other than the fact it's beautiful and does 95 percent of the gen for c.5 percent of the price, just tell yourself it's a 'backup' watch, so you can wear a watch while doing DIY or anything that might damage a 'proper' watch and cause great expense. ;)

And once you realise how good they are, you won't need to agonise over whether to buy, just what to buy ;)

scorpion

G'day Mate, Huan Ying, Velkommen, Welkom, Bienvenue, Willkommen, Benvenuto, Dzieñ dobry, and Welcome.

The best advice is to only buy from the Trusted Dealers because they are trusted and they deal in watches!

Just do it - I had 20 genuine watches from real mix of brands and with a fat mortgage, expensive wife and 2 x teenage girls I don't have the spare cash to blow on a 6k watch.

Yes i could if i really wanted to but then I would have to put the dog and maybe the wife down! I joined here not long ago and now have 4 reps + channel for the Mrs and love them.

No one ever even asks about them being real or fake - the only watch I ever get questions over is a monster sized Invicta so unless you buy a massive PAM chances are no one will ever ask.

wirelessness

OK. Thanks for all the great advice. I think I am on board and ready to order my first Rep. Likely a Sub since the Newest Seamaster w/ the ceramic bezel and laquered dial don't appear to be on the Rep Market yet.

I need a little more assurance though. Obviously, here in this forum we KNOW we are buying a Rep. And we KNOW the TD's are not trying to sell Reps as Gens to anyone.

What about the argument that watches coming out of the same factories in Asia are being sold as Gens to unsuspecting noobs somewhere in the world...and our buying 'indirectly' from them supports this industry?

Is this a truism or just what WIS's say to bash the Rep crowd in other forums?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

greg_r

:facepalm:

Yes, lots of reps are sold as gen (they're all over ebay). One of the reasons this site is here is to help prevent people getting ripped off - we are not, however, here to salve your conscience. If this bothers you, then I suggest you go buy a Timex.

Seriously, you are overthinking this...

jeffw69

yep.

SB56667

Yep, if you could extract the 'I'm not sure if I should buy it' essence & bottle it, then market it to our wives, you would be a zillionaire.

:lmao2:

As far as worrying that our buying reps somehow contributes to the possibility of some noob somewhere getting scammed, I think there are probably more pressing moral crises we're contributing to in our lives. If you drive a car, ride a plane, dispose of trash, or, say, exhale, you're contributing to the global environmental catastrophe that's going to consume us all in 50 years. Yet we all still manage to get up in the morning...

The best advice you've already heard: Try it -- you'll like it! Read around and research a bit more, order from a Trusted Dealer, then hold on to your wallet: this hobby goes from "questionable" to insanely addictive overnight.

Best of all, if you get a nice rep from a TD and wearing it leaves you crippled with guilt, you'll find plenty of folks here to take it off your hands. :lol:

Welcome to the nuthouse! You're going to like it here! :thumbsup:

Crusader

Nobody notices your watch, maybe just close friends (who are into watches) or family by saying... ''new watch.... again???'' :lol:

People might notice your watch, but no one cares enough to actually comment. It's always the same when buying first rep, people are always concered if they will get call out or accused of wearing fake. With time, when you have 5+ or even more watches, you don't care anymore.

And about buying/selling reps... selling reps and buying them as reps is ok. It's the scamming people, reps with gen prices, that is wrong.

wirelessness

Right on. Thanks for the advice. I definitely agree there are bigger issues out there. Just wanted to voice my concerns. I can certainly live with this. I'm already addicted to micro brands so I can only assume this will be similar.

Knowing my friends and family I would much rather they know I'm wearing a fake Rolex than have them think I spent my kids college fund on a collection of Gens.

Baldrick

Cyril_Clunge

Definitely one of your better posts Balders, accurate, straight to the point and not pissing off half of the Northern hemisphere :D

greg_r

Definitely one of your better posts Balders, accurate, straight to the point and not pissing off half of the Northern hemisphere :D

:rofl:

Sent from my iPad using smoke signals and Flashheart's butler...

wirelessness

Sorry guys. I'm getting a lot of face palms so clearly I have not drawn the appropriate conclusions. I'm gonna keep reading....order a Sub Ultimate and see how I feel. Most likely I will be stoked and just want more!

dalboy

With respect , if you see this as a dilema ! then you have chosen the wrong hobby..............

:picard:

Dal..................

aoeu

I look at it this way:

The big name watchmakers used to justify their high prices by claiming high quality. This WAS true, decades ago, when companies like Rolex and Blancpain made the only really high-quality watches. But now, mass manufacturing has become so good, the quality can be repped very easily. Today, a Rolex isn't much more than a USD$500 watch with a USD$4500 logo. These reps (both legal and illegal) show that the prices associated with Rolexes are unjustifiable. I mean, why pay USD$5000 for a Rolex Submariner when you can get a decent rep for just 10% of the price - and still get 95% of the quality? Especially when that other 5% is just cosmetics (cyclops magnification, Japanese movement instead of Swiss, etc). That is why the big names hate reps so much - the existence of a good rep spoils the lie that these watches really are worth thousands of USD. They are not, at least not anymore, and anyone who tells you otherwise is either deluded or lying.

Random note: My grandpa purchased a Rolex Oyster Perpetual in Switzerland for USD$150 back in 1958. In modern money, that's about a thousand bucks. Yet that same watch today sells for about four times that. I assure you, the cost to build did not quadruple during that time, nor did the quality improve. Just something to think about.