Sign in to follow this  
wirelessness

Hi, I'm new here. Trying to convince myself it's OK to buy a Replica Watch. Help me understand the mind though???

nickee_2dS

I loved gens. I've owned fossil, festina, swatch, breil, d&g, Casio..

. All gens. Till the moment I've knew this community :P

Inviato dal mio MB525 usando Tapatalk

Baldrick

This should simply be about FUN....the fun of being able to wear something that has a nice design and a little bit of cachet by way of the 'brand' name, without breaking your bank balance, if you're going to fret over such minor issues as being called out....or consider what is wrong with the watch / hobby / morality etc etc...you should be introspective and start examining the issues that you as a person have, your self perception, how others perceive you and the relationship to your morality / family / social values et al.

Just as animals can sense fear. people can sense a lack of confidence in an individual and based on that make assumptions, sometimes correct sometimes incorrect, you also need to ask yourself...is it credible that a burger-flipper at McDonalds would be wearing a two tone Sub / Daytona or DSSD......it's not incredible, but it's highly unlikely, others judge you by your dress, your mannerisms and what you surround yourself with, if you're driving a Merc / BMW or other prestigious brand car, the assumption in most instances is that the watch on your wrist is commensurate with your other trappings, ergo...no questions asked...however if you're a sales exec or middle management guy and you turn up wearing a Vacheron Tour de Lisle, it would seem incredible....it's about judgement...YOURS....before others...!

Anyone who frets over minutiae such as CG's / happy feet / datewheel colours etc etc needs to look at themselves closely.....and ask...WHY?....and as I said, if you're concerned with the morality and social acceptability of fakes....they've been around almost as long as humankind....ask the Vatican...they have a magnificent collection of fake ossuaries / shrouds / nails and mummified Saintly hands and skulls.....and have been foisting them off on the 'faithful' for centuries...as genuine with no single thought as to the morality of the issue ..if it doesn't bother the Catholic Church...it shouldn't bother you...you are doing no harm to others.... despite the 'propaganda' to the contrary...that simply exists as a form of industrial protectionism :B):

Steelfish

This should simply be about FUN....the fun of being able to wear something that has a nice design and a little bit of cachet by way of the 'brand' name, without breaking your bank balance, if you're going to fret over such minor issues as being called out....or consider what is wrong with the watch / hobby / morality etc etc...you should be introspective and start examining the issues that you as a person have, your self perception, how others perceive you and the relationship to your morality / family / social values et al.

Just as animals can sense fear. people can sense a lack of confidence in an individual and based on that make assumptions, sometimes correct sometimes incorrect, you also need to ask yourself...is it credible that a burger-flipper at McDonalds would be wearing a two tone Sub / Daytona or DSSD......it's not incredible, but it's highly unlikely, others judge you by your dress, your mannerisms and what you surround yourself with, if you're driving a Merc / BMW or other prestigious brand car, the assumption in most instances is that the watch on your wrist is commensurate with your other trappings, ergo...no questions asked...however if you're a sales exec or middle management guy and you turn up wearing a Vacheron Tour de Lisle, it would seem incredible....it's about judgement...YOURS....before others...!

Anyone who frets over minutiae such as CG's / happy feet / datewheel colours etc etc needs to look at themselves closely.....and ask...WHY?....and as I said, if you're concerned with the morality and social acceptability of fakes....they've been around almost as long as humankind....ask the Vatican...they have a magnificent collection of fake ossuaries / shrouds / nails and mummified Saintly hands and skulls.....and have been foisting them off on the 'faithful' for centuries...as genuine with no single thought as to the morality of the issue ..if it doesn't bother the Catholic Church...it shouldn't bother you...you are doing no harm to others.... despite the 'propaganda' to the contrary...that simply exists as a form of industrial protectionism :B):

One of the best summaries I've read on this subject........Kudos to you Baldrick. 4_19_21.gif

Edited by Steelfish

greg_r

claphandss.gif

myaz

ask the Vatican...they have a magnificent collection of fake ossuaries / shrouds / nails and mummified Saintly hands and skulls.....and have been foisting them off on the 'faithful' for centuries...as genuine with no single thought as to the morality of the issue ..if it doesn't bother the Catholic Church... :B):

Not to derail, but as a corroborating side note. Ask at Notre Dame de Paris' Treasury inside the Cathedral: Louis IX paid a fortune for the Crown of Thorns and initially housed the relic in the Sainte Chapelle. At least 17 other sites claim to have pieces of it. Wonder when the DNA testing at Notre Dame will start?

Miracle

Hublot big bang ss ceramic. Rep £340

Hublot big bang ss ceramic gen £11k

Same.

End off

d8f42b22.jpg

aoeu

Today, a Rolex isn't much more than a USD$500 watch with a USD$4500 logo. These reps (both legal and illegal) show that the prices associated with Rolexes are unjustifiable. I mean, why pay USD$5000 for a Rolex Submariner when you can get a decent rep for just 10% of the price - and still get 95% of the quality? .

Great point. There's a mental conflict between wearing a rep you know deep down is fake and paying way too much for a gen you know deep down is way overpriced.

So you pick what gives you less conflict. In the meantime, you can learn a heckova lot about watches here which will be useful when AD salespeople try to schmoozle ya.

Welcome aboard.

BTW, we don't EVER condone misrepresenting a rep as a gen and do call out such vermin on Ebay, etc, with great pleasure, so enjoy.

+1 to you. I choose a third route - getting a homage with no infringing marks, like my knockoff of the Rolex GMT Master II. That knockoff has all the marks of a Rolex, with the exception of the Rolex name and crown. It was reasonably priced - just USD$250 on eBay - and no infringing marks. If you want an illegal rep, I won't judge you - but I also won't have such a rep in my collection. This rep has been a part of my life for a couple years now - and has the scratched case and dinged crystal to prove it.

About misrepresenting a rep as a gen - I agree. That's just wrong. I am glad you report such vermin to eBay. You are surely doing the right thing.

P4GTR

@Pater..

Baldsy's you're either trying too hard to sound smart, or too little to sound cool. Surely there's a better place to speak "tongue of the ancients" than a fake watch forum.

TRANSLATED: I haven't a clue what you just said, so I'm gonna make merry of your 'light-hearted' post......only thing is...I know nothing of language....!

FYI....there is no Hebbonite. Akkadian. Sumerian, Semitic, Babylonian or indeed even Aramaic contained in my post....no ANCIENT language involved, but how would you know !

As a further FYI, I wasn't addressing you, I was addressing Cheryl...he merits such a response and understood it, you didn't !

There is....and I speak there also :B):

You're assuming I read much more than 6-7 words of your original post. Don't make tthe same mistake twice! :P :lol:

Baldrick

No, I assumed nothing, it was quite apparent that you were able to understand no more than 6-7 words of my original post, hence your mistaken ASSumption that my post contained ANCIENT LANGUAGE.......... humility becomes you, thank you for the corroboration, now.......go forth, cast thy seed and multiply.... :B):

P4GTR

No, I assumed nothing, it was quite apparent that you were able to understand no more than 6-7 words of my original post, hence your mistaken ASSumption that my post contained ANCIENT LANGUAGE.......... humility becomes you, thank you for the corroboration, now.......go forth, cast thy seed and multiply.... :B):

The wife's due in ~2 weeks. :footinmouth: You should exude only good karma for our pregnancy my friend! :lol:

Baldrick

I may be altiloquent and a committed artigrapher, however I'm no haruspex.. ( albeit one may have determined that I do have the power of augury, by suggestion ).

I wish you and your wife and child health !

baxter

I may be altiloquent and a committed artigrapher, however I'm no haruspex.. ( albeit one may have determined that I do have the power of augury, by suggestion ).

That one had me reaching for dictionary :D

All the best for the birth Dan.

P4GTR

Well, you've never been altiloquent with me (although that last post was questionable), perhaps somewhere along the way i've fallen in your good graces.

Thanks for the good Karma. Your vernacular is spectacular! :beer2:

wirelessness

Well, I got my first Rep. An ETA Sub-C. I know the Sub-C is not the most accurate Sub rep out there but I still really like the look. I'm planning to get a 16610 to compare and see which one I want to use for a daily wearer. I am still yearning for a Gen Sub-C though. This might hold me over I just don't know yet.

Member X

Silicon Grease the seals, find a rep-friendly watchsmith, get it waterproof tested, wear it and enjoy it and be happy that even if you smash it on the floor on a drunken night out, it won't cost several grand to fix as you can just throw it away and get another one! :D

Oh, and :ttiwwop:

:lol:

wirelessness

I bought it used of another member it is supposedly been waterproofed. So I'm good to go :)

7687454456_76860588b8_o.jpg

Edited by wirelessness

Member X

Cool, looks good!

I would still take it to get checked (but then I am a paranoid man :lol:) but I am sure you will enjoy wearing it!

Make sure you put a few wristies up now and then in the Wristies Thread of the week :)

FFog

Welcome and have fun.