Sign in to follow this  
wirelessness

Hi, I'm new here. Trying to convince myself it's OK to buy a Replica Watch. Help me understand the mind though???

sarmi

Nobody notices your watch, maybe just close friends (who are into watches) or family by saying... ''new watch.... again???'' :lol:

People might notice your watch, but no one cares enough to actually comment. It's always the same when buying first rep, people are always concered if they will get call out or accused of wearing fake. With time, when you have 5+ or even more watches, you don't care anymore.

And about buying/selling reps... selling reps and buying them as reps is ok. It's the scamming people, reps with gen prices, that is wrong.

+1

I look at it this way: check which gen watches are available for the money (especially with automatic movement) of a rep then compare them to reps. Difference is huge. It's a simple optimization - getting the most from the desired input and therefore perfectly logical.

Regarding the "spiritual" side: Yes there are some fancy, expensive brand names on reps but I personally do not care much about such insignificant stuff and I advise you to do the same. Fear of being called out is not justified as chances are 0. People who can tell difference or who even notice watch as such either work in industry or own a rep :) . So instead of being called out you will more likely made a friend (look, another plus side).

I guess all of us had such or other fear before buying our first rep and also such or other reason. Some people may like to show off and pretend to have what they actually dont while others are basically afraid of being called out due to watch price vs. lifestyle inconsistency. While one can only feel sory for the first group there is simple solution for the second one...As seen in posts above such fear is unnecessary but the best way to get rid of it is buy some 21j, test it and see how you like it. I'm sure you will stick around.

Edited by sarmi

jeffw69

With respect , if you see this as a dilema ! then you have chosen the wrong hobby..............

:picard:

Dal..................

:picard2::picard2: @ Dalboy :lol:

dalboy

With respect , if you see this as a dilema ! then you have chosen the wrong hobby..............

Dal..................

:picard2::picard2: @ Dalboy :lol:

Well come on , lets not rip the arse outa this..what a simple thing , either buy it or not................WTF.

Crusader

I look at it this way: check which gen watches are available for the money (especially with automatic movement) of a rep then compare them to reps. Difference is huge. It's a simple optimization - getting the most from the desired input and therefore perfectly logical.

Regarding the "spiritual" side: Yes there are some fancy, expensive brand names on reps but I personally do not care much about such insignificant stuff and I advise you to do the same. Fear of being called out is not justified as chances are 0. People who can tell difference or who even notice watch as such either work in industry or own a rep :) . So instead of being called out you will more likely made a friend (look, another plus side).

I guess all of us had such or other fear before buying our first rep and also such or other reason. Some people may like to show off and pretend to have what they actually dont while others are basically afraid of being called out due to watch price vs. lifestyle inconsistency. While one can only feel sory for the first group there is simple solution for the second one...As seen in posts above such fear is unnecessary but the best way to get rid of it is buy some 21j, test it and see how you like it. I'm sure you will stick around.

Hey mate, nice to see you, great thinking :D

Replicawatch

Umm, are you really on a site where people are passionate about buying and selling quality replicas and asking about the morals rights and wrongs??

If so, I respectly suggest you move on quietly, or buy one, then post pics of how good it is ;)

Baldrick
Definitely one of your better posts Balders, accurate, straight to the point and not pissing off half of the Northern hemisphere

I shall strive to pauperize my proclivity towards prolixity and portmantology in future and also implement a policy of reducing words to two syllables or less in order to appease you Cheryl and shall confine ( within the bounds of sufferance ) myself to the pesundation of those descendants of Irish riff-raff and English peasantry whose lack of discipline ( by their Scottish overlords )...has lead to a nation of rambunctious clamorous..( no, NOT glamorous ) and acrasial oncethmus Antiopdeans!

Alles klaar, ja ? :B):

Cyril_Clunge
Definitely one of your better posts Balders, accurate, straight to the point and not pissing off half of the Northern hemisphere

I shall strive to pauperize my proclivity towards prolixity and portmantology in future and also implement a policy of reducing words to two syllables or less in order to appease you Cheryl and shall confine ( within the bounds of sufferance ) myself to the pesundation of those descendants of Irish riff-raff and English peasantry whose lack of discipline ( by their Scottish overlords )...has lead to a nation of rambunctious clamorous..( no, NOT glamorous ) and acrasial oncethmus Antiopdeans!

Yeah, I knew that's what you'd say.

Baldrick

You knew ;)

dalboy

My sentiments entirely... :giggle:

wirelessness

Several of the posts above have really hit home with me. I 100% have to agree, the prices that Rolex demand are really not justifiable. The Rep market and the Sterile market clearly indicate as such.

I don't have a huge moral dilemma and I certainly don't judge anyone in here to be clear. I really just wanted to hear from some people with a lot of experience in the area and get a clearer picture of where people are coming from. Since I have no frame of reference. It certainly looks enjoyable to me and I'm gonna sell one of my Micro Brands to make room for a Sub Ultimate ASAP. Like you said, there's nothing to lose by trying it out. Except for the hundreds I'll probably spend on several more :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Luthier

Hundreds????

:rofl:

Pmcclean18

Buy some cheapies from the M2M sales to get yourself started. Once you realise how good they are you won;t have an issue.

dalboy

Buy some cheapies from the M2M sales to get yourself started. Once you realise how good they are you won;t have an issue.

Sales whore... :giggle:

sam1965uk

come on man take the plunge get one on your wrist you now you want to get on with it :)

dalboy

come on man take the plunge get one on your wrist you now you want to get on with it :)

On yer wrist or off yer wrist... :giggle:

Edited by dalboy

UmpaHimself

:facepalm:

Yes, lots of reps are sold as gen (they're all over ebay). One of the reasons this site is here is to help prevent people getting ripped off - we are not, however, here to salve your conscience. If this bothers you, then I suggest you go buy a Timex.

Seriously, you are overthinking this...

Seriously.

Plus if there trying to be cheap and buy a gen from anyone other than a AD than thats on them for being an idiot. If I was spending the money I would head right over to Mayors or the like. I want all that paperwork.

aoeu

Yes, lots of reps are sold as gen (they're all over ebay). One of the reasons this site is here is to help prevent people getting ripped off - we are not, however, here to salve your conscience. If this bothers you, then I suggest you go buy a Timex.

Seriously.

Plus if there trying to be cheap and buy a gen from anyone other than a AD than thats on them for being an idiot. If I was spending the money I would head right over to Mayors or the like. I want all that paperwork.

Amen.

If you're dumb enough to waste money on a gen, your best only option is an AD. No papers means fake.

jeffw69

Seriously.

Amen.

If you're dumb enough to waste money on a gen, your best only option is an AD. No papers means fake.

:picard2:

powderfreak

Paperz? :hitler:

HeavyKrush

Dal..................

I think Dal nailed it with this statement, this might not be for you. It's my opinion that if you could operate as an angel outside of this world and see things as they really are you would find that the replica world isn't hurting the gen world. My wife and I visited an Omega boutique tonight and we will likely buy 2 gens by the end of October, a Ladies Devile Prestige Diamond and a Planet Ocean. If it wasn't for my exposure to the Rep world these watches wouldn't remotely be on my radar.

UmpaHimself

Seriously.

Amen.

:picard2:

lol

P4GTR

Baldsy's you're either trying too hard to sound smart, or too little to sound cool...Surely there's a better place to speak "tongue of the ancients" than a fake watch forum.

Talking%20Ear%20Off.gif:lol:

And to the OP...

Be secure about who you are; the watch won't matter. You'll always have an answer if someone asks, there's no reason you can't just tell the truth.

16-LEAD-Lisa-Ling.jpeg

myaz

Today, a Rolex isn't much more than a USD$500 watch with a USD$4500 logo. These reps (both legal and illegal) show that the prices associated with Rolexes are unjustifiable. I mean, why pay USD$5000 for a Rolex Submariner when you can get a decent rep for just 10% of the price - and still get 95% of the quality? .

Great point. There's a mental conflict between wearing a rep you know deep down is fake and paying way too much for a gen you know deep down is way overpriced.

So you pick what gives you less conflict. In the meantime, you can learn a heckova lot about watches here which will be useful when AD salespeople try to schmoozle ya.

Welcome aboard.

BTW, we don't EVER condone misrepresenting a rep as a gen and do call out such vermin on Ebay, etc, with great pleasure, so enjoy.

Baldrick

@Pater..

Baldsy's you're either trying too hard to sound smart, or too little to sound cool. Surely there's a better place to speak "tongue of the ancients" than a fake watch forum.

TRANSLATED: I haven't a clue what you just said, so I'm gonna make merry of your 'light-hearted' post......only thing is...I know nothing of language....!

FYI....there is no Hebbonite. Akkadian. Sumerian, Semitic, Babylonian or indeed even Aramaic contained in my post....no ANCIENT language involved, but how would you know !

As a further FYI, I wasn't addressing you, I was addressing Cheryl...he merits such a response and understood it, you didn't !

There is....and I speak there also :B):

SB56667

In the meantime, you can learn a heckova lot about watches here which will be useful when AD salespeople try to schmoozle ya.

BIG +1. This weekend I stopped in 2 Tourneaus, an Omega boutique, and an IWC boutique -- places I probably would have been too intimidated to stop in a few years ago. There was something that felt damn good about browsing, trying a few on, talking to the sellers, and in a few cases knowing more than they did...thanks to this forum! :bananarider: