Sign in to follow this  
BigDee62

JLC Tourbillon - Major or Minor Issue?

BigDee62

Hello, been lurking on the board for a year or two, time to introduce myself and ask for some advice.

After gathering a small collection of reps I finally purchased a tourbillon (JLC). It arrived in working order a couple weeks ago, then a few days ago I noticed the hour hand has drifted around 7 or 8 degrees counterclockwise. In the picture, you'll noticed the hour hand isn't pointing directly at the '9'.

CVE11.jpg

This was my 6th rep from this TD and first time having an issue. I won't name names but I will mention he's one of the TD's reputed to be a dropshipper (in case that affects the answer to my question). But also as a nice coincidence, I recently ordered the RWG toolkit and it's probably just about to be sent out.

QUESTION: Should I attempt to adjust the hour hand myself (once I have the toolkit in hand), or should I not even think about it, and send it back to the TD right away?

OTHER INFO: Once I noticed the issue, I wound the watch fully and let it run down ... it doesn't appear that the hour hand drifted any further in that time (although this wasn't any scientific test so I could be wrong).

I already searched the board and found one relevant thread where a minute hand was slipping ... but no surprise, nothing about turbys and thought that might also affect the answer.

Assuming I get this fixed, I have a custom strap on the way and will post better pics when it arrives.

Thanks in advance

Cyril_Clunge

Hello and welcome. Sorry I can't help but I'll bump the thread in the hope that someone who can will see it. Good luck.

Luthier

If you don't have any serious experience - don't try it at home. It's easy to fix, but it require to pull out the stem, take off movement from the case, take off the hand, somehow make hole on hand smaller, and then reinstall it perfectly, then assemble the watch. I wouldn't do it. Maybe, you can find local watchsmith, who can do this job for $20-$30?

cwazy1

Yeah I'm going to go with Luth on this one. Pulling the hands is not too hard, but making the hole smaller, and then pushing it back in perfectly, is another story.

James.

If you can, you could just take out the movement, remove the hands and reset them to 12:00.

If it hapens again there might be an issue with the movement itself, which would be a lot more of a sucky situation.

-edit- had this page open a while, luth already covered it :thumbsup:

BigDee62

Ok, thanks for the advice.

Only time I've disassembled a watch was as a kid (and it never made it back into one piece) so time for me to find a local watchsmith. I live in San Francisco so it shouldn't be too hard.

Looking forward to eventually posting an update with a good outcome.