Sign in to follow this  
ron76

?Eterna?

ron76

Found this lying around somewhere at my moms house, can't find to much about this specific watch on the WWW.

Maybe some fellow member can tell me something about it?

IMAG0287.jpg

James.

Kontiki day date?

offshore

Nice!

Eterna were the company who started the ETA movements business, back when. Pity they sold it to the jackals at Swatch.

Probably most famous for their Kon Tiki range immortalised by Thor Heyerdahl in his epic 1947 crossing of the Pacific on a balsa raft.

Used Eternas bring a reasonable price ($100 -$200), anything with Kon Tiki on it is times 5 those prices!

Would be a nice project to clean up, get running ( parts won't be an issue as ETA stuff should retrofit) and keep as a memento and also an appreciating assett.

O/S

offshore

Kontiki day date?

Not that one , I don't think...unfortunately...may have the raft insignia on the back, but unlikely.

O/S

ron76
Nice!

Eterna were the company who started the ETA movements business, back when. Pity they sold it to the jackals at Swatch.

Probably most famous for their Kon Tiki range immortalised by Thor Heyerdahl in his epic 1947 crossing of the Pacific on a balsa raft.

Used Eternas bring a reasonable price ($100 -$200), anything with Kon Tiki on it is times 5 those prices!

Would be a nice project to clean up, get running ( parts won't be an issue as ETA stuff should retrofit) and keep as a memento and also an appreciating assett.

O/S

No need to get it running, I gave it one shake and it started beating @ 36000 bph :)

The case and the crystal is in pretty bad shape though

Edited by ron76

Wiz

Nice watch, the movement is most likely a 1524 (father of the ETA 2834) boosted at 36 000 bph. "sevenday" stands for day/date on Eternas.

offshore

Crystal shouldn't present a problem,.......the case appears plated?

That can be a bit of an excercise to remedy..but not impossible.

And its a yummy Hi Beat!

Still worth pursuing IMO.

O/S

James.

Little bit of love and restoration, a mesh bracelet and you'll have something there.

ron76

Crystal shouldn't present a problem,.......the case appears plated?

That can be a bit of an excercise to remedy..but not impossible.

And its a yummy Hi Beat!

Still worth pursuing IMO.

O/S

Case is plated indeed, base material of the case looks like bras? to me.

You think its worth to get it restored?

offshore

It is if you love it; it isn't from a commercial POV,

The restoration will cost as much as/more than, the value of the watch at resale.

However the value of it to you may be infinitesimal!

O/S

ron76

I treid to get some info about re-doing the goldplating on this, but most guys I contacted wont touch it or are very very very expensive.

Soooooooooo......After reading somewhere in a tread about Bronz PAM's and Bronz divers watches, It came to me in a dream (or nightmare, i hav'nt dicided yet).

What if I remove the gold plating completly and give the underlying brass or bronz (I don't know what it is)a nice polished finish and put it on a (leather) nato strap?

I need your opinion on this one guys, does it sound okay? or am I insane for, destroying a vintage timepiece.

Wiz

I treid to get some info about re-doing the goldplating on this, but most guys I contacted wont touch it or are very very very expensive.

Soooooooooo......After reading somewhere in a tread about Bronz PAM's and Bronz divers watches, It came to me in a dream (or nightmare, i hav'nt dicided yet).

What if I remove the gold plating completly and give the underlying brass or bronz (I don't know what it is)a nice polished finish and put it on a (leather) nato strap?

I need your opinion on this one guys, does it sound okay? or am I insane for, destroying a vintage timepiece.

Just contact some local jewellers, if they don't do it themselves they sure know who does.

Luthier

I often re-plate some guitars hardware, price is - a few guitar tremolos cost $85. excellent thick goldplating, and they remove old plating coat before it.

I'd restore dial (CLS is a great master of it), re-plate the case, find proper hands, or restore old ones, and it would be great watch with 36,000bph movement.

offshore

The real issue in re plating, is getting all the old plate off, and having a "perfect" surface to work on.

The reason you received high quotes to replate is the prep, not the plating.

If you got it back to bare metal with a good finish, you may then find the plating option viable.

So if you have a bench polisher and a few hours, go for it. Then get a quote.

O/S

trailboss99

Ah careful there. The brass you see may well just be a part of the triple plate process (it was most likely chromed) and not the base metal. The actual base metal may well be potmetal under the brass.

ron76

Thanks for the info guys, glad I asked before jumping in blind.

But what do you think of putting it on leather Nato?

Luthier

Leather- yes. Nato - no!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D