Sign in to follow this  
p-lund

Loosing your "soul" ?

p-lund

hi ! i´ve been thinking of going quartz. oh that´s like curse in the church here right ??????? but i´ve started to look at it this way: many of the quartz-versions are available with the same case, dial, bracelet etc, but for a signifficantly lower price(about 50%)compared to the 7750-versions. i really don´t think anyone pays attention to the little subdial secondhand anyway(omega smp chrono)so i think i can live with the ticking. i guess a lot of feeling about reps is in the automatic movements, and that´s what gives the watch a bit of "soul", but on the other hand the quartz-version gives you: a superrep with perfect timekeeping, total reliability, and no need for expensive servicing for half price of a 7750-version. can it be better than that? now i guess all hell is breaking loose, but i´m just curious about your opinion about this. do you think you´re loosing your "soul" as a rep-collector if you´re going quartz(only talking about superreps with quartz here, no cheapies) thanks.

greg_r

I've had a few quartz reps - some have been better than others, but I've ended up selling them all. The best are the ones with no running seconds - at that point you can't tell they're quartz unless you run the chronos.

I sold all my quartz reps, but I do still have a couple of quartz gens. They're fine if you want accuracy, but they can't tempt me away from mechanical watches - they have more 'soul' :)

dingle

I have a quartz rolex. runs great, looks like shit. :)

JohnG

Two of my favorite watches are quartz. nothing wrong with quartz man. Some like and some don't but a watch is an inanimate object, it has no soul anyway. Its just a thing:

Imagen026.jpg

Imagen031.jpg

Imagen091.jpg

Imagen089.jpg

KinCaidk

Didn't robert sell some quartz watches with sweeping seconds??

John> I have a new movement for a Zitc Chronograph from Tat incoming. You know where the stem release button is on those suckers?

KBH

If the gen comes in quartz, yes. If it doesn't, yuck!

Sure, nobody can see the chrono hand from 5 feet away but then somebody says, "Nice watch! Let me take a look at it". I don't know about you but I'd feel a little busted. What can you say other than: Oh it's just a cheap replica.

AllergyDoc

I would consider trying out a couple of quartz reps if it weren't for the idiotic 24-hour subdial most of them have. Can't a quartz movement handle 3 separate subdials?

mad dawg

I really do not understand the "soul" argument because we are talking rep watches here. Given the reliability of quartz, they are an obvious choice for cheap/chrono watches.

JohnG

John> I have a new movement for a Zitc Chronograph from Tat incoming. You know where the stem release button is on those suckers?

Have never opened it - I will look tomorrow if I remember, shouldn't be hard to find....

Member X

I just like a nice sweep :popcorn: lol

KinCaidk

Have never opened it - I will look tomorrow if I remember, shouldn't be hard to find....

Cool!

I opened it up the other day, but couldn't locate the pusher... but then again - I have 10 thumbs...

Novesh

For certain applications quartz is the way to go, some people prefer it over your typical jeweled watches...

I wear an iwc galapagos in quartz, function chrono and day/date it works so awesome I love it.

My wife loves her quartz ceramic j12...

Look at watches like the x33, amazing watch and basically some mechanical watches to shame.

theflyingdutchman

Normally I would say! LOST SOULS, but e.g. with AP:

- A7750 with secs @9 = +/- 400 USD... for a watch with mistakes

- A7750 with secs @12 = +/- 600 USD. for a watch with mistakes

- as a quartz (with the same case, buckle, strap and maybe even bezel as the A7750) = 68GBP plus 6GBP shipping from Narikaa or 110 USD from Mary....for a watch with mistakes

Touch call! Specially if its just for having the red face version!

APasquartz.jpg

Edited by theflyingdutchman

dingle
I just like a nice sweep :D lol

+1

hard to even look at my rolex's ticking.