Sign in to follow this  
atxguy24

Newb Question about Watch Functionality

atxguy24

Okay, so I've been doing my research and am far enough along to where I am narrowing down my first purchase from amongst a handful of watches.

Some of the watches are manual wind, have day/date, and/or other functions and sub-dials.

So my question: how the heck are you supposed to know what each of the buttons and crown movements does? Being reps, I'm guessing these watches don't exactly come with instructions, and given that the movement types differ from the gens, I'm guessing the workings of the rep wouldn't be the same as the gen.

Is it mostly just trial and error? If that is the case, are there any concerns such as over-winding a manual, etc until you get everything figured out?

I guess I'm seeking a little peace of mind and reassurance that I won't jack up my first rep within seconds of handling it.

Thanks for any input!

HeavyKrush

Try searching YouTube for the watch of choice. You can usually find a rep that's being worked. I wouldn't lose sleep over it even if you can't as you can always post back here once you have the watch.

myaz

You are right and there are no instructions with reps..

If you're buying el cheapo for $60 or so, the subdials are likely to be non functional decorations.

If you're getting higher priced reps, they work just like the gens, includes the crown, and pushers for chronographs.

Now, if you buy a watch with many complications, unusual functions or one that replicates higher end watches with in house tricked out movements like A Langes, you will have some dials that won't replicate what the gens do. For instance, the power reserve indicator of the Lange 1s works as days of the week.

As regards your concerns, there are threads here about how to properly care & feed a 7750 movement, if so equipped.

Otherwise, I'd just exersize the usual precautions you would take with any watch, which of course includes winding it gently and stopping at the first sign of resistance.

Hope this helps. Go with a light touch. Good luck.

UmpaHimself

given that the movement types differ from the gens, I'm guessing the workings of the rep wouldn't be the same as the gen.

All though you are correct in saying rep movements are usually different from gen movements, you are wrong in thinking they work differently (for the most part). If a watch is a chronograph and stated as WORKING then the pushers will work true to the gen. Top button starts, bottom stops and then top will reset. However, sometimes on cheaper 21j reps, they have non working chronographs. In that case the pushers control two of the subdials and they usually count month and day.

UmpaHimself

As regards your concerns, there are threads here about how to properly care & feed a 7750 movement, if so equipped.

+1

Check my sig for the link

trailboss99

AS for the winding question, you will feel when a manual wind is fully wound, it comes to a stop. An auto cannot be over wound as it has a slipper clutch in there but there is no need to wind 'em more than a couple of turns anyway if you are going to wear it immediately. The auto wind will take over from there.

Make sure you read the 7750 thread mentioned above, that's the one you need to take care with, rep or gen.

B5GLX

When I ordered my GMT Master II, the TD sent me instructions on how to set the watch and warned of certain precautions about trying to adjust things when the hands were in certain positions.

<RJ>

When I ordered my GMT Master II, the TD sent me instructions on how to set the watch and warned of certain precautions about trying to adjust things when the hands were in certain positions.

Yes, Some do that. Its cute! But don't expect it.

scorpion

Easy answer.......get a Quartz!!!!!!!!!! :giggle:

OFFICIAL DISCLAIMER: ABOVE IS A JOKE NO OFFENCE IS INTENDED

My main concern is not the winding its the different ways the crowns screw out. On both Gens and Reps they all seem to have different threads and pull out to different positions then when you do them up some lock straight away and other seem to take ages to do up. As I keep wearing different watches each day I worry that I will wear the screw crowns out.

myaz

Easy answer.......get a Quartz!!!!!!!!!! :giggle:

OFFICIAL DISCLAIMER: ABOVE IS A JOKE NO OFFENCE IS INTENDED

My main concern is not the winding its the different ways the crowns screw out. On both Gens and Reps they all seem to have different threads and pull out to different positions then when you do them up some lock straight away and other seem to take ages to do up. As I keep wearing different watches each day I worry that I will wear the screw crowns out.

1) Actually a quartz is a good choice for reliability, if you don't pine for a smooth seconds hand sweep and realize that 99% of people (not an actual%) don't care & got no clue. We fret a lot about movements when we buy and then they're hidden under the wrist for the rest of time. Chanel makes a quartz. I have an 18K Piaget Polo gen with a quartz. Of course, neither of these 2 have a seconds hand, and a ticking seconds hand would bother me, being a 1 percenter, so NO OFFENSE INTENDED.

2) Most excellent point about screw down crowns. I have pondered that same thought. As you say, one must be VERY careful. Sometimes they screw right back in smoothly and sometimes they start to bind. Force them at that point and you're asking for trouble. I ask my wife (politely) to let me adjust the time on her Omega DeVille for that exact reason: she could probably cross thread the valve handle on the shower if given a chance and she knows that. again, NO OFFENSE INTENDED to the fairer sex. :B):

PS: I have seen mechanical threaded parts take immense abuse so a threaded crown should not be a problem unless threads are deformed or crossthreaded by excessive torque.

RichardMiami

The one that might get complicated is a GMT watch. That watch has an extra hand, that runs around the dial once every 24 hours. It is used to keep track of a second time zone.

Often, on reps, the GMT setting position is a subtle pull of the crown outward, as in where the date wheel sets, but adjusts the GMT hand when wound in the opposite direction. (one way = date, the opposite way = GMT hand). I have seen experienced guys on here declare their GMT watch non-functional, because they couldn't find the "sweet spot" for the hand.

As noted above, get the rep first and play with it. NEVER force the crown to to do anything that puts up resistance, and when in doubt, come here and ask.

dalboy

given that the movement types differ from the gens, I'm guessing the workings of the rep wouldn't be the same as the gen.

All though you are correct in saying rep movements are usually different from gen movements, you are wrong in thinking they work differently (for the most part). If a watch is a chronograph and stated as WORKING then the pushers will work true to the gen. Top button starts, bottom stops and then top will reset. However, sometimes on cheaper 21j reps, they have non working chronographs. In that case the pushers control two of the subdials and they usually count month and day.

+ 1 hit it on the head mate !!

UmpaHimself

+ 1 hit it on the head mate !!

Cheers!

aoeu

Okay, so I've been doing my research and am far enough along to where I am narrowing down my first purchase from amongst a handful of watches.

Some of the watches are manual wind, have day/date, and/or other functions and sub-dials.

So my question: how the heck are you supposed to know what each of the buttons and crown movements does? Being reps, I'm guessing these watches don't exactly come with instructions, and given that the movement types differ from the gens, I'm guessing the workings of the rep wouldn't be the same as the gen.

Is it mostly just trial and error? If that is the case, are there any concerns such as over-winding a manual, etc until you get everything figured out?

I guess I'm seeking a little peace of mind and reassurance that I won't jack up my first rep within seconds of handling it.

Thanks for any input!

N.B.: I am discussing legal homages here. Illegal fakes are something else again.

Anyway...date and time are set as expected for a legal rep. For example, my GMT Master II homage sets the same as the original by Rolex. Some things are different - the GMT dial is unidirectional, but the original Rolex dial is bidirectional. Some other things are different, as per posts above.

YoungGPS

IMO you may be over thinking things a bit. Once you get your first rep, enjoy exploring how it works. :)

gtwc

I have to take issue with Umpa re: chronos

My impression is that the top button both starts / stops the chrono, then the bottom pusher resets it.

Any further opinions?

jeffw69

My impression is that the top button both starts / stops the chrono, then the bottom pusher resets it.

Any further opinions?

yep, my top button starts and stops. Bottom button resets.

learn2beabum

Any further opinions?

yep, my top button starts and stops. Bottom button resets.

Ditto on all my chronographs.