Sign in to follow this  
davylloyd

6538 Bond project part two

davylloyd

....so that we leave just the area of interest.

P1030117.jpg

davylloyd

OMG!, what have I done! Mustn't panic, I can always strip the paint off and go back to the original 'anodised' finish (thanks again, onionbag).

P1030118.jpg

davylloyd

....O.K., panic over, this is how it wound up.

P1030119.jpg

davylloyd

And after some cleaning-up with a cocktail stick and some acetone, I'm left with this -

P1030120.jpg

KeNnY

WOW !!! Amazing how you made the bezel insert ! LOOKS GREAT !

davylloyd

Next time, I'll get to work with some very fine wet and dry paper, and try burnishing the silver triangle with some pithwood and then polishing it all up.

For now, I'll declare myself happy with the dial, happy with the black part of the insert, and thinking about how to improve or change the triangle.

P1030121.jpg

.... and I'll look forward to your company when I start to tackle the case and caseback.

onionbag

How's the blend between your sprayed black and the original finish? Do you think the painted surface will be prone to scratching/flaking?

Yes some fine wet and dry will be the way to go, and possibly finish with aluminium polish?......Nah it'd be too shiny, just a burnish methinks.

davylloyd

The blend between the new and existing black is fine, and I know from using this paint previously that it bonds really well, even without primer.

I may have hit on a method for drilling out the lug holes to 1.25mm, to take the larger Rolex type spring pins. My work takes me into dentists, and the high speed handpieces they use spin up to 40,000 rpm and have built-in water spray. They drill through the enamel of your teeth, and surgical steel posts, with consummate ease, so 4 or 5mm of 316 stainless should be child's play. I'll chat to some dentists tomorrow.

davylloyd

WOW !!! Amazing how you made the bezel insert ! LOOKS GREAT !

Having seen your work for the first time on the Franken rep. for GWT, you must be pissing yourself at my pathetic efforts.

Not to make you blush, but people with your level of skill inspire me.

YoungGPS

Anticipation is growing for the next part!

davylloyd

I've abandoned the idea of drilling the lug holes using a dentist's drill.

I have to go up to my company's workshop today, so I'll make use of their pillar drill and get both cases done.

I'll take some pics and post them next time.

baxter

Top effort Davy ................................. do hurry up with part 3 old boy ;)

SB56667

Man, admirable invention and persistence! Thanks for the steps and the pics, and keep them coming! :dingleberry-nemesis:

Rav747

holy crap! this is awesome. great work bud! cant wait for all this to come together.

fatarms

This is pure, 100% awesome right here.

davylloyd

Well, a day of triumph and despair.

The despair? Despite having access to a decent pillar drill and some brand new TCT drills, the drilling out of the lug holes was more difficult than I imagined. I didn't realise 316 was so hard! A good pal of mine, a mechanical engineer, has made some suggestions.

1. I was probably drilling at too high a speed, and despite using a cutting lubricant, probably just took the cutting edge off the drill bits, and then 'cooked' and hardened the steel.

2. To remedy these half-drilled holes, get a diamond-tipped drill bit and drill at a slower speed.

3. Get some Cobalt steel drill bits to drill the new (untouched) holes.

So these have been ordered and I will try them soon.

More despair? The bezel insert didn't map out as I had hoped, The bonding of the paint wasn't good, and the whole thing just didn't look right.

The triumphs? Well I set about the bezel with fine wet and dry paper and bleach, and ended up with a result I'm really pleased with. I'm going to put up with the bezel being slightly wrong for the Bond watch and settle for it looking older and more 'right'.

Secondly, I mixed up some lume that mimics the aged Tritium pretty well, if I say so myself. Had my first go at reluming a dial and hands, and all things considered, I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

Apologies for there being no pics, but I haven't yet sorted an indoor photo set-up, light tent and so on. I'll post some pics of what I've done when I get time and there's some daylght. Oh, and I've also 'aged' the case and back with varying grades of wet and dry.

Edited by davylloyd

DeLaForce

I feel you're pain on drilling out lug holes lol

davylloyd

This afternoon was a much more successful session, and I've now completed the first watch in the project.

I've started a new thread, 6538 Bond project completion.