Sign in to follow this  
phaedo

The wolf has landed!

phaedo

Well, with it being summer in this part of the world, business is picking up enough for me to be able to finally splash out on a new watch. Have been eying up the Breitling Seawolf in the yellow dial for months now. Last weekend I had a look at Tony's website - asian7750.com - and he actually had them listed. And at a much better price than the twins. As mentioned in a previous thread, picked it up for $358 plus $20 shipping. As to whether it is the original version or the 'updated' with the stock eta datewheel, I am not sure - but the date is different to my V1 BCE, so I am going to say it is the good version. The pics should help others decide for me which version I have, since I don't have a caseback opener so can't have a look at the movement to determine. However, it is listed as the original type on the website.

DSC00430.jpg

This won't be a huge review, like some guys do, but will give a fair idea of my impressions after 2 hours on the wrist. Firstly, it is the same diameter as a BCE, but the thickness is a lot more. Very chunky on the wrist. Feels heavier than a UPO, but more comfortable, thanks to the great bracelets Breitling put out. Helium valve, as others have mentioned, is not even in the case, but that is a minor issue. Also, the lume dots could be better, but it is as good as all the others I have seen. The micro regulator on the bracelet, although a bitch to pop back in, is great for slight adjustment to get the bracelet just right.

The brushed and polished work well on this watch, the sides of the case and the caseback are polished, but the rest of the case and bracelet are brushed; I am a fan of polished all over as a general rule, but this looks the part. Very rugged for a dive watch.

DSC00437.jpg

DSC00432.jpg

DSC00434.jpg

A couple of other good points - the B logo on the crown lines up parallel to the case when fully locked, maybe I got lucky with the threading on my one, but maybe it is something the factory has actually made an effort to get the small things right. There is no distortion in the crystal, even when viewed at sharp angles, and quite a deep rehaut.

Lume is excellent, almost on par with my DSN 113 (which was superlumed at the factory). Not sure how long it lasts, but it is very bright straight off, and very even on the whole watch, including the pearl. The photos don't seem to show it, but the pearl isn't centered perfectly, again, not a biggie.

The stencil numbers work well on this one I think, unlike others - the super avenger comes to mind. Probably becuase of the brushed finishes, gives it a more rugged feel.

The movement is also fantastic. I almost can't tell there is a rotor, and manually winding it a few turns to check it out, it was almost like there was no resistance at all. Much smoother than anything else I have, including swiss 6497's. No wobble in the crown when pulled out, and the date flicks over about a minute before midnight.

All in all, I am impressed. Hopefully I will stay impressed with it - after all, it is only a few hours old, have not even had a chance to see how accurate the movement is, or power reserve, etc.

But, rating on the bigguns magazine scale, I give it two 'things' up. And Col, I will be wearing it Saturday.

Oh, and from the time I initially emailed Tony to make sure they were available to it being on my wrist in Australia, was about 5 hours short of 9 days.

DSC00450.jpg

Edited by phaedo

KinCaidk

Nice!

But hey, isn't that the same watch as Gordon Ramsey wears?? :rofl:

AllergyDoc

"Firtly"? :rofl:

You devil, you! I want one of these! Such a manly watch, and yellow is my favorite color.

Wear it well!

oscarmadfish

me likes :rofl:

dingle

nice wolf phaedo. Well done. :rofl:

phaedo

Thought I would give an update on my impressions months later on the seawolf: I have switched it to a rubber strap, which for the work I do it sits better on the wrist. Otherwise, I have worn other watches about 2 days since this arrived. It isn't looking quite as pristine as when it was new, but not nearly like the BCE in the first pic there. It is a very tough watch, more expensive than I would have liked to spend ona beater, but then it is still a great watch. Heavy, good wrist presence. The first couple of weeks it seemed to be out by about 15 seconds a day, but that has got a lot better, maybe it is a minute out every 3 weeks now.

Crystal is still pristine, wipes off with a bit of a clean and still looking great. Would I spend the money on a gen of it? No, but then, I wear my watches reasonably hard, and I wouldn't want to be babying it, I would want to wear it, but in a gen, that is just what I would do - sure it can go down 3km, but I wouldn't swim in a gen in case it gets a worn look to it.

The difference between this and the planet ocean are interesting - they are both diving watches with centre seconds hand, date at 3, similar sized face, but somehow this for me is just a much cooler watch - the PO never spoke to me, whereas this never leaves the wrist. Maybe the yellow dial has something to do with it, I don't know. But anyway, months on, and I still love it.

graman

Great stuff Phaedo!

Now...a Panerai............

Luthier

Stay in style.

SUPER AVENGER!!!

phaedo
Stay in style.

SUPER AVENGER!!!

Got Mary on it for me right now, but am wanting the battons with a bracelet, wich is a different factory. Problem is, it would end up just being a weekend watch.