Sign in to follow this  
McPenguin

Howdy ya'll, my name is McPenguin!

McPenguin

And if you haven't guessed, I'm from Texas. But I don't really talk like that.

I've enjoyed watches since I was a kid. My mom must've blown dudes for a year or something because she managed to buy my dad a Rolex GMT Master, he's had it ever since works great, just like their marriage! :) Anyway, I always liked my dad's watch, even though I was a kid and had no clue what a Rolex was, and my parents have always been very modest people. Anyway, for my 8th birthday I got a Seiko quartz Army Green watch with army green canvas wrist strap. No big deal but I loved that watch and wore it until it got smashed during a Donnie Brook in my teenage angst years.

I received a Swatch after that which I wore until it was out of style (really wish I had kept that, vintage Swatches are great bargaining chips for other things with hipsters), then Fossil watches opened up and I got a quartz polished watch with green dial (I'm a bit gay for green).

When I graduated from High School I had begun to want material things and I learned about Tag Heuer watches. I thought they were so cool (now I think they're mostly garbage considering what you get for what you pay) and long story clearly long, my first Rep was a fake Tag I bought for $40. Quartz movement, can't remember what color the face was, blue or red. The band started to corrode and then it just died.

Anyway, I came into some money in my late 20's and wanted to buy a new watch. I didn't really do my research like I do now, all I knew is I wanted a sweaping second hand and something steel that could be either sporty or dress. I bought a Maurice Lecroix GMT Automatic. I paid $890.00 for it and regret every penny. A few years later, as I was trying to sell the thing I met a jeweler that really gave it to me straight about watches. He taught me that a large percentage of the luxury watch industry was fairly standard ETA Swiss made watch movements put in pretty, heavily branded cases. You were in effect paying for the marketing that it took to make the world think this was an expensive brand and an expensive watch.

I vowed never to be the sucker on a purchase again. So, I've begun learning everything about watches I can. I am taking beginners courses on Horology, I will be putting together my first movement soon. I love the Poor Man's Watch Forum, I plan to feature watches and my adventure in horology on my blog soon. I also plan to try and flip watches, see if I can't work my way up to a couple of really nice, iconic pieces, like a 1969 Omega Speedmaster, a 62 Rolex Submariner, a Hamilton 505 Ventura, or original Seiko Astron. One of my other projects is to buy vinage pocket watch with a nice complication or two and see if I can't convert it into a nicely proportionate looking wrist watch.

Ultimately, there are watches out there that I think are amazing, but I'll never be able to afford them. THESE are the watches I want to buy Reps of. I want a good rep that I will be fun to wear and I will enjoy knowing the other watch geeks I come across when they do a double take at my watch or even actually ask, it's that a Hublot Black Caviar? Why yes, it is, I'm a millionaire that loves Denny's hashbrowns.

Here is my collection thus far:

Seiko Divers Automatic Black Monster SKX779K SKX779

Parnis X114-B Power Reserve, Day/Date

Suunto Core

Orient Automatic Calendar FEU07008DX

Watches I hope to find Reps for:

Patek Philippe Sky Moon Tourbillon

Hublot Black Caviar Bang

Jaeger LeCoultre Grande Sonnerie Hybris Mechanica

Greubel Forsey Quadruple Tourbillon

Vacheron Constantin Tour de l’Ile

Louis Moinet Magistralis

Any MB&F or UWERK pieces.

Thanks if you read this far. Suggestions, advice, collaborations, and general discussions are always welcomed.

Luthier

You don't write novels, by the chance?

:D

Welcome to the forum, mate!!!

SkyMoon is widely available, no problem, I have one. But you have to drive at least Ferrari, to wear this watch.

Rest - you should ask our trusted dealers, maybe, they can help.

And if you are a millionaire - go get VIP status, it cost mucho less, that 1/1000 of your money.

:D

dingle

welcome to the nuthouse :)

onzenuub

Welcome, that are a loooooooooooooot of words, enjoy being here. :D

dalboy

Welcome to the forum,

Wow a decent introduction for a change. :giggle: my best advice is to read the new members section and do plenty of homework, yeah i know its like being back ay school, but it will pay you in spades later on.

Take your time on your first order and stick to out trusted dealers only.......good hunting/

Dal........

gtwc

Great First Post !!!!

Welcome & enjoy it here it at RWG.

I too have a Seiko Black Monster (as well as the rarer BLue Monster) - good choice.

Your wishlist might prove to be a bit of a problem however..............

The only one I have ever seen repped is the PP Sky/Moon (and that was repped as a cheapo).

The others are far toooooooooooo fuckin' complicated and WILL NEVER be repped.

I think most of us on here would love a Greubel-Forsey double, triple or quad tourbillon.

BUT - it ain't gonna happen.

Set your sights a 'little lower', peruse what the TD's have to offer, post pics and ask questions.

Welcome aboard !!!!!!!

;)

onzenuub

Welcome to the forum,

Wow a decent introduction for a change. :giggle: my best advice is to read the new members section and do plenyt of homework, yeah i know its like being back ay school, but it will pay you in spades later on.

Take your time on your first order and stick to out trusted dealers only.......good hunting/

Dal........

explain plenyt???

Luthier

:rofl:

Plenty, a.k.a. many, a.k.a. mucho.

DeLaForce

Welcome :)

emporio_1

cant believe i just read it all. but then again good text. welcome

BadPickle

Howdy partner!!!!

scorpion

Welcome - good first post, most just ask us question in as few words as possible!

J.Eric

Hello and Welcome!

dalboy

Welcome to the forum,

Wow a decent introduction for a change. :giggle: my best advice is to read the new members section and do plenyt of homework, yeah i know its like being back ay school, but it will pay you in spades later on.

Dal........

explain plenyt???

Type o................plenty........................." SORTED."

Plenty, a.k.a. many, a.k.a. mucho.

You got it "G "..............

fragzzone

Welcome, and nice introduction. I think we all have a thing about watches but not many of us remember all the details, I had an interesting time trying to remember all the phases on my story, jeje. Not much to say though.

Anyways, enjoy the forum :)

conx

Howdy McPenquin. Which one is you?

7db39378.jpg

dalboy

Howdy McPenquin. Which one is you?

7db39378.jpg

NUN !! of them... :giggle:

conx

amuthon

Hi Penguin :)

c394fad4.jpg

Balad1

Penquin, have you met Batman (aka Green Hat) here on RWG yet?

PS: Welcome Texas Bro; from Hawaii.

gB.

Howdy! :wave:

HeavyKrush

Welcome Mr Penguin. Great opening post brother. Happy hunting.

ron76

I came as far as "if you...blablabla Rolex blablabla" ;)

Nice intro mate, welcome.

cromag
Welcome3.jpg

YoungGPS

Welcome and enjoy the hunt! :band: