Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Not-so-big Egiziano

greg_r

As some of you might remember, I bought a GPF2/56 (Big Egiziano) from Robert a month or two back. Loved the look of the watch, but found that at 60mm it was just too bulky to wear comfortably. I sold it to Oscar a couple of weeks later.

Since then I've been toying with the idea of buying DSN's version which is undersized at 52mm, but wasn't really prepared to spend $400-ish on a watch right now - especially not a fantasy rep.

Then a couple of weeks ago I was browsing Mark Wang's site (timesshop) and came across this at only $148 (using Mark's regular discount coupon). It's a Big Egi lookalike, but only 47mm. 47mm is very much the 'sweet spot' for me - the size that just feels 'right' so I jumped at it.

First the pics:

mini_egi.jpg

mini_egi_w.jpg

miniegi_2_1407210.jpg

miniegi_140710.jpg

As you can see, it certainly looks the part. The watch is exactly the same diameter as a Fiddy, but with the chunky bezel and slightly larger CG it wears that bit bigger. The bezel is nice and tight with a very positive action and the CG lever also clicks into place positively. The watch is powered by a 21J auto and has a solid case back (which proclaims it to be a Panerai Classic Yachts Challenge 2008 :lol: - oh well). The dial is excellent - beautifully printed, there's light single AR on the crystal (which isn't too blue, fortunately) and the watch has WAY above average rep lume, which isn't desperately long-lasting but is incredibly bright for such a cheap watch.

It came on a slightly better than average rep strap (which, unusually for a 47mm PAM is 24mm not 26mm), but I'll be replacing that as soon as I've decided what's likely to look best.

For me, this really is the perfect compromise between the look of the PAM341 and having a watch that's a wearable size. I love it - and can see it getting a lot of wrist time. If a 'vintage dial' version (orange/brown indices) should appear in the future, it's likely I'll be buying another one - as it is, I'm already tempted by the PVD version...

oscarmadfish

greg can you blow the picture up i cant see the watch :lol:

greg_r
greg can you blow the picture up i cant see the watch :irish_dance:

:thumbsup2:

Still enjoying the beast, I hope? :)

I still kinda regret selling it - but this one will get a lot more wrist time :)

Still tempted by DSN's version though - something about half-way between the two size-wise might be just about perfect...

oscarmadfish

yeah still loving it

its way to big lol but i will wear it every now and again

but a great watch for my collection

greg_r
:thumbsup2:

AllergyDoc

A much more reasonable size. They are kind of funky-looking, though.

houndoggie

Very nice. This size is much more manageable. Looks well made.

dingle
A much more reasonable size. They are kind of funky-looking, though.

I agree with AD. Nice watch but it just does not "click" with me.

greg_r

If anything it's better made than the 60mm version - albeit that it's only a 21J rather than the 6497 in the 341

JohnG

If anything it's better made than the 60mm version - albeit that it's only a 21J rather than the 6497 in the 341

AWESOME - great size, perfect really, and you could put a 6497 in it.... or even a Molnija

greg_r

AWESOME - great size, perfect really, and you could put a 6497 in it.... or even a Molnija

:thumbsup2: thanks

And yeah, the thought had sorta crossed my mind....

KeNnY

very nice, so for that money, nice watch size.. Do you have it still ? Could you please show the lume on this watch _?

greg_r

Yes, I still have it. One of my favourite watches. Lume is above-average rep lume (i.e. very bright for a few minutes but doesn't last that long), but I don't have a lume shot to show you.

I really must get this rebuilt with a better movement one of these days.

KeNnY

hm okey :lol: thanks. I have found the watch on timeshop for 128 USD. Now I will be deciding, if the 60 mm clock version or the 47 mm watch version :lol: It looked good on your wrist, the 60mm version. :)

greg_r

Yep - I have a big-ish wrist, so I could get away with the 60mm version - it looked enormous, but not stupidly so. The problem was that it's rather top-heavy and tends to slop around on your wrist unless you wear the strap uncomfortably tight. It's also too damned bulky to fit comfortably under most jacket sleeves (forget a shirt sleeve!).

I liked the look of it, but it was just too damned uncomfortable. The 47mm version in this thread is much better finished anyhow - the bezel has a nice positive feel. You'll need to change the strap, however, as the rep strap on the 47mm mini egi (24mm) isn't that great (rep straps rarely are).

If I ever decide to buy another, I'll go for the DSN version.

Member X

Is your lever floppy, greg? :lol: :lol:

greg_r
Is your lever floppy, greg? :lol: :lol:

None of my levers are floppy, X - you must be thinking of Kinky :)

KeNnY

greg well will check also the DNS version. But it looks like you have made a point regarding the size of the watch. Thank you for your response :lol:

greddyl30pjg

First post- new to the forum so hello all!

Love the watch, ive been trying to find the 52mm version ...can someone put up a link to 'DSN'?? Im struggling to find it?

Could you give a like to Mark Wangs sit too? Tried googling the name but no joy! Thanks

Edited by greddyl30pjg

greg_r

Mark's site is timesshop. You'll find his subforum and site linked from the forum home page.

DSN is linked from the trusted dealer list (also found linked from the forum index)

Bear in mind, however, that it's now CNY and most of the China-based dealers are now shut down for about a month.

citixen

I have been looking for this watch online. Is it still being sold?

DFH

Hi. nice to meet you too... We are fine thank you, and yes RWG really is a great place, we're glad you found us too!!! And all that great info and reviews and feedback and Trusted Dealers research that you did will serve you really well here! Since you did all that, I am sure you know if it's available and who sells it...

Be sure to post pics when you get it!

Congrats on your purchase!

Thrasher

I have a DSN EGI on the way from HK, Need to figure out a better strap though then the leather, Either Nato or custom Canvas...or maybe something exotic from Hamilton though that wouldn't be very diver ish.... Then again there is always Gunny Ammo straps... Will see.

Pratt

yup 47mm looks fine . is it still for sale ? i wonder it will be nicer with some beating up ..

HarleyMo

I have this version and its one of my favorite watches. I put it on a strap from Nero straps. Custom made to my specs. Hes fantastic to deal with and responsibly priced for his great products.