Sign in to follow this  
powderfreak

What would you buy? Vote!

powderfreak

Hey forum people, I am planning my next purchase and want your votes!

As always it takes a while until I really know what I want (not so much of a fan of "buyers remorse" ;)). I now know that I want either the second Pam, a "luxury" dive watch or a second Rollie. Among those three groups it's pretty hard to choose, so give me some of your knowledge. Maybe one or the other member has both (say for example the AP diver and the JLC Navy Seals) and can share some thoughts about the build quality and feel.

Since I am not a picky fucker, I don't care much about how close it is to gen - apart from the fact, that all contenders seem to be reasonably well replicated. So give me your ideas and help me to decide!

(BTW, since I am only planning on buying one watch, the ultimate choice between the three groups will be mine :P)

Pictures for reference:

Pam 177

sg_clothing_accessories.11208.1.jpg

Pam 308

PAM308-regatta.jpg

AP ROO Diver

audemars-piguet-royal-oak-offshore-diver-watch.jpg

JLC Navy Seals

mcdautomaticnavyseals.jpg

Sea-Dweller

title99.jpg

Daytona

RX16520PATRIZZI-03.jpg

Explorer II

rolex-explorer-ii-orange-hand_1.jpg

Until today my small collection includes: Omega PO (mainly on rubber), Omega SMP Chrono, Pam 351 and Rolex GMT Master II

Personally I think all three mentioned choices would be a good complement, the Pams or divers more on the beater/tool-watch side and the Daytona being a bit more dressy.

I also know that neither a 'tona nor a JCL Diver is going to be as understated as some other watches (at least not on a mid 20s student), but then again I have yet to meet someone who knows anything about wristwatches (other than the occasional "lovely colour" when wearing the 351 or "oh, a Rolex..." when wearing the GMT). In short, I don't give a toss if those look too expensive for me :lol:

jeffw69

AP Diver V3 or PAM 177, just say NO to Rolex.

James.

Explorer, roo and 177, IMO of course ;)

cwazy1

I agree with semaj 100%.

baxter

177 / Diver / DSSD :)

powderfreak

The more I think about it, the less likely a Rolex is, if only for the sake of buying a "new" brand - but if I could get one of those rare secs at 9 'tonas... who knows :D

Rav747

+1 unless you get Kenny do work his magic ;)

YoungGPS

To choose only one. Its the PAM 177! :D

Corv99

+1 except Pam need 308 or what about 253!

Luthier

PAM308, AP Divers, SSD.

ebzen02

177,AP, ExpII

Arism

PAM308, AP Divers, SSD.

+1

UmpaHimself

Explorer II

rolex-explorer-ii-orange-hand_1.jpg

Definitely get the explorer. I think it's the best designed and most uncommon of the three listed.

fatarms

I think I'm in a pretty small minority, but I have absolutely no love for the PAM308. I went with the 177, it's the prototype PAM.

I voted for the AP ROO Diver, it's a beautiful watch and I hope to be able to get one some day.

And I just upgraded my 21J DSSD for a 2836 DSSD. I'm still waiting for it to arrive, but the 21J DSSD was my favorite watch in my collection.

Baldrick

Buy the 308, you'll have a nice bi-compax chrono,... :thumbsup:

Buy the AP Diver, you'll have the best rep dive watch available...far superior in name / build quality to the JLC NS... :thumbsup:

Buy the Explorer....you'll have one of the most iconic and distinctive GMT watches available.... :thumbsup:

best of all worlds...and all bases covered....chrono / dive / GMT :D

johnnoblin

If you are anal, avoid the exp 2 unless they've fixed the triangle @ 12 alignment issue, its slightly off to the left

edit: nvm that was the old exp 2

Edited by johnnoblin

davylloyd

The 177 because it's so classic, the JLC because it's soooooo handsome, and the exp 2 because the world and his wife haven't got one. :thumbsup2:

mianos

AP Diver first, then the JLC, then the Sub, then the PAM, then the others. Simpler to get them all.

Abagnale

go for the icons: 177, ap roo, ex2. i would prefer the 111 over the 177. imo the 177 doesn't feel right on the wrist because of the missing weight...

Baldrick

As I said...go for the chrono Pam....trust me on this....take a trip to Thailand..or Asia in general ..111s are all over the place like a street dog's shite....every counter clerk at PowerBuy / Subway / Delifrance has one on their wrist....they are the NEW must have "Rolex" alternative fake for the 21st century....the 308 will single you out as discerning...and being a bi-compax won't suffer from reliability issues as a Daytona will...the secs @ 9 has too many tells....the JLC NS is but of fleeting interest...and from a short distance will look like almost every other black bezel dive watch from Citizen to Sub...the AP won't...++++....it's waay sexier to unwind the crown at 10...and rotate the inner bezel....than turning an outer bezel that's just the same as the dipstick that's showing off his $30 Sub homage from t'Bay.....the EXP is also an icon from Rolex.....if you must have a Rollie...it's the best choice...nowhere near common...gen or rep....THOUSANDS of members here have 111s....Subs and Daytonas.....step away from the sheeple.....mark yourself out as DISTINCT from the common herd.

AskMeAgain

If the lume triangle on teh JLC looked like that I could be convinced to change my vote... The xplorer becaus its just so damn sexy

powderfreak

I must admit that I am rather happy about all the love the 308 gets, would have expected it to be less favoured by the masses. Anyway, if I go Pam it most likely won't be a base model. The 111 was just too boring for me, the 177's titanium case is lovely but not enough.

About the divers: Does somebody have both the AP and the JLC and can comment on what's easier to waterproof? You often read about the complex build of the AP and I was expecting the JLC to be easier to waterproof. But besides that issue I am having a hard time getting over the black bracelet for the JLC - why don't they have SS :wacko:

Baldrick

As an additional comment......look at the lume differences..( no, I don't mean compare a super-lumed by Kenny and a standard lume NSD ).....don't you think it's much better to have both bezel and dial markers lumed...the AP stands out in that respect...as for WP....neither is impossible...the AP has AFAIK already been the subject of WP'ing....and lumed by Kenny.

DSC_2151.jpg

IMG_5036-1-1.jpg

powderfreak

as for WP....neither is impossible...the AP has AFAIK already been the subject of WP'ing....and lumed by Kenny.

That's true Baldrick, it was just a feeling but hey, how often am I going to "dive" with my watches anyway - twice a week in the sink :lol: Maybe the maximum pressure shouldn't be my main concern...

The AP seems the way to go, looks as good as the JLC, has better lume, the cooler bezel and (important for me) the possibility to add a steel bracelet (and not a fugly plastic bracelet).

Baldrick

Agreed...the band options are better with the AP.....it looks equally good on bracelet / rubber and hornback or good leather strap...not to mention it's not an also-ran in the design stakes....if you've seen a lot of my posts regarding JLC....I'm a huge fan of the brand...but the NSD just doesn't cut the mustard...it's primary attraction is it's appellation...as a "Navy Seals Diver"....plus a vainglorious attempt at a Chanel style 'rubber' bracelet....it fails on so many counts....I'd take a Master Compressor series any day of the week....but sorry...no NSD.....too easily confused with the plethora of other diver style watches out there.....ask anyone who has the APD....it looks different....not easily confused with anything other than AP.....it reeks of quality ...a true super-rep...the NSD is never going to jump off your wrist the way this does....!

APDIVER10.jpg

APDIVER15.jpg

APDIVER21.jpg

APDIVER24.jpg

APDIVER25.jpg

APDIVER28.jpg