Sign in to follow this  
bob bean

Running a new rep in?

bob bean

Would I be right in assuming that some watches can run fast/slow for a week or so, and then settle down to a decent time accuracy after a running in period?

It's running about -2min over 3 hours, after being kicked to life for the first time today.

greg_r

Yeah, it can happen, although -2min in three hours is a lot and suggests to me that it's likely to need some adjustment. Nevertheless, let the watch run a for a while before thinking about regulating it.

ebzen02

Yes. If it doesn't get better in about another week then..... :blue-screen-of-death:

jmd33
Yes. If it doesn't get better in about another week then..... :blue-screen-of-death:

+1

I'd give it a week or two.

phaedo

I never run in reps, new or old. Unless being chased. But in all other situations, I try to meander in them.

10:10 Watch Repair
Would I be right in assuming that some watches can run fast/slow for a week or so, and then settle down to a decent time accuracy after a running in period?

Nope, that whole escapement thing is pretty reliable.

KBH

Nope, that whole escapement thing is pretty reliable.

The first watch I bought was a Swiss Eta DJ. It ran slow and I kept bumping the regulator up more and more until I finally got it to run fast. Then I slowly turned it back down to where it ran within a couple of seconds of being perfect. The regulator ended up right back in the middle where it started after 2 weeks of fiddling with it. Go figure!

After that I stopped trying to regulate them until I used them for a couple of weeks. May have been a fluke incident, who knows.

KBH

Don't see anything relevant in that post.

I'm thinking those 10 or 12 gears/pinions need to get properly set and broken in, as well as all the Chinese dirt, dust, pubic hairs, etc needs to get properly ground up and distributed.

:thumbsup:

bob bean

Well it's out by just over an hour a day at the moment. I'll give it a week to get its act together, then its onto my work bench.

KBH
Well it's out by just over an hour a day at the moment. I'll give it a week to get its act together, then its onto my work bench.

Hour a day is more than I was figuring on. You may have whole other problem. Take a close look at your hairspring and make sure it's not tangled or twisted over itself.

greg_r

It's running about -2min over 3 hours, after being kicked to life for the first time today.

What movement are we talking about here?