Sign in to follow this  
jnrandall

watch broke

jnrandall

Hi, What does everyone do if your watch, purchased from a trusted dealer, breaks? I went to wind my watch just now and the stem just came out of the watch. I've only had this watch since the end of June 2012.

thanks

fatarms

Post pics of the stem and remove the caseback and take pics of the movement, especially where the stem enters it. We might be able to see if the stem just came out or if it snapped and broke. Putting them back in usually isn't too difficult, as long as the stem didn't break.

ron76

Hi and welcome, you could try to fix it.

Search is your friend. Or contact the TD

dingle

sounds like the keyless works screw has come loose. Post a pic and let us have a look :)

Amit

what watch is it mate??

have you emailed your dealer to tell them what has happened?

jnrandall

Wow, thanks for all the attention. Here's a shot of the stem.

stem.jpg

fatarms

Good news is that it looks intact and not broken.

We will have to see the movement to tell you how to reinsert it though. It's usually a small screw you have to loosen or a small button you have to push on the movement while reinserting the crown and it just slips into place.

Are you able to get the back off the watch? If you are, take a couple shots of the movement and we'll get this all squared away for ya, won't even have to get the TD involved ;)

Hazz

Stem looks OK can u get case back off and post pic of movement macking sure the rotor is not covering where the stem goes in.

dalboy

Dosn't look like its broke !!

Are you confident enough to remove case back..if not where are you based..i now it is only 3 months but i dont think dealer will help you TBH

Dal.............

jnrandall

I never tried to remove it. I need some tool I suppose. I'll search around for a kit unless someone can recommend one. THanks for all the help thus far.

fatarms

Try the duct tape trick first, take about 8 inches of duct tape and roll it into a ball. Use that ball to try to open the case up by pressing it onto the caseback and turning counterclockwise. Sometimes the casebacks aren't screwed on too tightly and that'll work.

onionbag

A child's rubber ball pressed firmly onto the back should loosen it, failing that, use a ball of gaffer tape................take the bracelet off first.

dalboy

Try the duct tape trick first, take about 8 inches of duct tape and roll it into a ball. Use that ball to try to open the case up by pressing it onto the caseback and turning counterclockwise. Sometimes the casebacks aren't screwed on too tightly and that'll work.

Dammit FA.. beat me to it..

Dal......

Mazz

A racquet ball works well

jnrandall

will try shortly and report back.

jnrandall

It's amazing wha you can find around the house. I just knew I didn't have a ball or duct tape, and I found the tape and 3 balls.

The movement says Twenty Five Jewels 25 Swiss Made.

mvmt.jpg

Silverspeed

Hard to tell from the pic, but the stem release looks a bit sunken....if so Dingle is right and you have keyless works problem.

You can try to insert the stem back, it can take a few tries...very slightly turn the crown while inserting the stem.

Hazz

It might be OK hard to tell, very gently with a pin push down on this button as you push in the stem, don't push on the pin too hard or you will break it.

mvmt.jpg

Silverspeed

Best to use a 1,20 screwdriver instead of a pin....to avoid keyless issues

fatarms

Just as Hazz said, put a little bit of pressure on the crown, like you're pushing it into the movement, ever so slightly. Use the pin or screwdriver to push that button he's pointing at and only push it in until the crown slides into the movement.

jnrandall

Doesn't seek to work. I felt it engage but it comes out easily. When I tried winding, I felt some clicking. When I reversed the wind, the hand swept in the opposite direction. I appreciate the help. I assume there are trust repair peeps on this forum I could send it to? :)

fatarms

Damn, sounds like the keyless is gummed up. Where are you located?

If you're in the US, 10:10WatchRepair is the guy. If you're in Europe, Wiz would be the man.

jnrandall

I am in NY. I guess 10:10 WatchRepair it is! Thanks everyone!

fatarms

Sorry, dude. Was hoping for a happier outcome on this one.

Hazz

I am in NY. I guess 10:10 WatchRepair it is! Thanks everyone!

If it makes you feel better I have one here the same problem, and mate has one being repaired also.

Why not go the full works and get it relumed the same time