Sign in to follow this  
Adamsteddington

Rolex Daytona Swiss Eta 7750 from Mary

Adamsteddington

I'm new to the forum, is the above watch for sale at 618 us any good and does it have the problem with the 6 running? Many thanks

mspangl

The movement isn't reliable because it's still a bastardized 7750 which usually has it's running seconds at 9.

conx

Be very careful. Even though it is a swiss movement, the same mods have been made to the movement to move the secs from 9 to 6. Still a potential timebomb I'm afraid, and an expensive one a that. However, there a watchsmith called Domi (not sure which board he's on) wo claims to have a fix involving extra jewels, but this is also expensive. But for an expensive watch maybe worth exploring, but the overall price would be spproaching $1000.

Member X

If you were spending $200-300 then I would say it might be worth the money for the time it would be likely to work, but $600 is a lot for a movement that may ultimately die and turn into a very expensive paperweight... (IMHO, of course ;))

trumpet39

I really like the Daytona's with a leather strap. I'd get a gold but afraid it will wear off. Also, what is the problem with the movement? Something at the 6? What is the best dealer, seen the list, but still unsure.

Luthier

And you'll stay unsure, if you'll not spend a week or two reading our threads.

trumpet39

Well, I have read many posts and it seems that no Daytona replica is 'correct' in that there is a movement problem. I have also seen that the TDs have some nice watches. Haven't read too much about the gold except that it is gold-plated and I am still unsure of its durability. There was a post on a black pro-hunter (a rep of a rep?) talking about the black chipping, but haven't seen that discussion regarding the gold.

It makes me want to shy away from a Daytona rep., but like the leather strap. Would consider a Day-Date on leather but haven't seen that at a TD.

I will keep reading, thanks for the input.

YoungGPS

animierte-gifs-image_welcome_spinning.gif

and enjoy the adventure guys!

trailboss99

You won't see a DD on leather. Considering that rep straps are very average at best simply buy one with a bracelet and fit an aftermarket strap. As for gold plate, if it's for good wear it will be fine for years but it's not something you can wear everyday.

Like any plate it will wear thru so keep full gold reps for special occasion wear.

trumpet39

I figured it would be tough to get a DD on leather as a Rep. I have a Gen Date 18k but it is smaller on a leather strap, and my wife says it looks trashy on the DD gold bracelet, although I like it. I have a Gen Air King Date on a strap but, it is small too. I suppose a DD Rep and switch to a leather strap, with a crown buckle would be the way to go. I'd like a Daytona but they seem to have a few problems with them although their leather strap with deployment buckle looks nice to me!