Sign in to follow this  
Slyvino

PAM 177 crown problem

Slyvino

Hi All,

I have a PAM 177 (that I bought from Mary months ago) that I usually wind every day, but forgot to wind it over the weekend. I went to pull the crown out to set the time, and it ended out popping out and not going back in. I tried to pop it back in without any luck, and took the crown guard off and it simply came out (without the stem). The spring is still inside the crown, and I’m trying to figure out if this is something I could fix myself or not. Does anyone have any input or could direct me to a thread with an answer? I’ve included pictures – I’m dying without my watch today :thumbdown:

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo5.jpg

Member X

Do you adjust the time backwards, i.e. rotate the crown towards you? That way is unscrewing it, so it may be that it is just unscrewed!

If you remove the caseback and unscrew that small screwhead by where the stem enters the movement just a couple of turns (only a couple, don't remove it!), you should be able to withdraw the stem and then hopefully re-screw it into the crown, then re-fit :)

Hopefully... :lol:

Hazz

Do you adjust the time backwards, i.e. rotate the crown towards you? That way is unscrewing it, so it may be that it is just unscrewed!

If you remove the caseback and unscrew that small screwhead by where the stem enters the movement just a couple of turns (only a couple, don't remove it!), you should be able to withdraw the stem and then hopefully re-screw it into the crown, then re-fit :)

Hopefully... :lol:

+1 also buy some locktite 222 soft glue to put on thread

Slyvino

I've definitely been winding it the correct way, but that will be the first thing I check. My next thought was to take the stem out and try to screw it back in, and that was going to be the next place I looked. I Already have some locktite 222 and I will absolutely try to apply some. I'll keep everyone posted! :B):

Edited by Slyvino

Slyvino

No luck with either idea. I took off the caseback and unscrewed the stem screw a few turns, but could't get to the stem to try and reconnect it. I didn't want to mess with it to much because I rather not mess things up more and have someone more experienced take a look. Any recommendations of someone in the US that could potentially diagnose/fix this?

Member X

Is there any stem left in the crown? Has the stem actually snapped off?

If it has and you cannot grip what is left in the crown to remove it, you have to buy something (alum?? I can't remember :facepalm:) that will dissolve the stem but leave the crown intact, then you can just order a new Stem from ofrei or CousinsUK and get it fitted :)

Or, if you like the easy option, CLS is based in the US ;):D

Post some more pics of the stem area!