Sign in to follow this  
jimsusan

Hello from Sunny Yorkshire

jimsusan

The title is a contradiction in terms---but already I digress and I haven't even said hello yet! So a warm HELLO to a great forum from a Brit with an International heart. I've been collecting GEN watches for some time now and have a modest though lovely collection. Some months ago I swopped an old mountain bike for a fake Rolex explorer 2 and was amazed at how realistic the watch looked and the quality of its build. I got the best of this deal as the bike was somewhat clapped out whereas the Rolex looks good and keeps reasonable time.

I began to Google 'Fake watches' but being a trusting, though not stupid individual, I was sceptical about the whole Fake world out there. Until I came across this forum. Based on the confidence this place has given me (but taking on board the ultimate fact that we are dealing in a grey area here) I've taken the plunge and ordered my first watch from WI---a Rolex Explorer 1. I have a GEN version of this watch and I am keen to have a replica to own alongside it and compare. If truth be told my GEN hardly gets worn because being something of a detail man, whose eyes are capable of the most intense short sight, the thought of scratching and marking it results in the wearing attitude of--not tonight Josephine! This in one sense is a shame because I want to wear it but makes perfect sense if I want to preserve its mint condition--which I do. So my rather peculiar logic is to get a REP of my lovely GEN which I can wear regularly and not be too bothered about the knocks and scratches that will inevitably come its way.

That was my initial motivation to order my REP but already I find that because I'm interested in watches generally and am an Engineer by training the thought of owning small, beautiful REP timepieces is becoming much more appealing to me. There are some simply wonderful REPS out there and already I'm fancying an OMEGA Speedmaster with Lemania movement.

I've been very impressed by the communication with Mary and Rochest from WI. They have sent my watch by Airmail (suggested by Rochest--because of the present possible problems coming into the UK). I'm even used to the 7 hour time difference between UK and China for E-mail purposes.

My watch is due in 2-3 weeks and as I'm blessed with a fair degree of patience as well as short sight this is entirely acceptable to me. The other quality I possess is the skill to use six words when one will do so please forgive me if I've waffled on throughout this intro---but if you've got this far---thanks for reading :).

It's good to know that there are like minded individuals out there who can pool their knowledge, expertise and willingness to help to guide the genuinely interested, though ignorant, through the REP minefield.

Kind regards,

Jim

conx

Welcome onboard - great 1st post, you'll do well here :)

RichardMiami

Great first post! Welcome to the nuthouse... you understand that pics of your Explorer rep alongside your Explorer Gen are mandatory! ;) We would love to see them for a comparison

There are lots of Brits here, and they pretend to know a lot about watches, and we colonials allow them to do so... even though you guys do drive on the wrong side of the road.

Surf around, read a lot.. and hide your Credit Cards.. you are doomed!

greg_r

Welcome, Jim! :D

Always good to welcome a fellow Brit to the board - we have to keep these damned colonials at bay, y'know ;)

Sounds like you've made a good start. Feel free to shout if you have any questions! :)

RichardMiami

we have to keep these damned colonials at bay, y'know ;)

Slow you are Gregster... :yoda:

Member X

:ttiwwop:

Would be great to see your collection :)

Welcome aboard!

greg_r

we have to keep these damned colonials at bay, y'know ;)

Slow you are Gregster... :yoda:

:lol:

kieron1968

Hi Welcome,

What on earth are you doing to get sun up north? I live in dorset and have seen it for about five minutes this year.

baxter

Welcome aboard sir :damnthecolonials: :)

losing-money.jpg

jeffw69

Welcome Jim.

PAB

Another Brit! :damnthecolonials:

Welcome Mate

Mazz

You have sun in uk?

Welcome aboard anyway be sure to visit the museum

graham47

Welcome Jim, nice to have another Yorkshireman on board.

Looking forward to seeing the comparison photos.

HeavyKrush

Hello and welcome! As pointed out, can't wait for the side by side compare. From a fellow engineer I expect it will be thorough!

not_finbar

Wow, this is uncanny! I too live in sunny South Yorkshire (well, it is today at least), and my first rep was a Rolex Explorer 1 from WI.

Is your girlfriend's name also Kimberley?

freeflow

Welcome (from sunny yorkshire too) jimsusan to the mad house. HWere are you based??

conx

Another Brit! :damnthecolonials:

Welcome Mate

He's not a Brit, he's from the Independant Republic of Yorkshire

:lol:

YoungGPS

animated_gif_3d_028.gif

and

animierte-gifs-image_welcome_spinning.gif

jeffw69

have any good pudding recipes?

jimsusan

Thanks for the warm welcome all.

Actually, I've been to Yorkshire's grand capital today--- none other than that great city of Leeds. Had to take the missus shopping. Conveniently arranged to part while she went off to M&S ( I don't know what the US equivalent to M&S is but it's a reasonably upmarket chain store) to shop while I toured the high street jewellers looking at watches costing thousands of £'s-- $'s. Came away with the latest colour catalogue of Omega watches which should help me focus on my next REP purchase---oooh the guilt and shame of it all :boxedin:

At this stage I feel I must clarify one important point of identity. Whilst I've lived in Yorkshire for 27 years and love it, I'm what they call here in Blighty a GEORDIE hailing from the North east corner of England just below the Scottish border. Geordies have a character all of their own steeped in border history. We were the last place in Britain to be civilised (by King James the sixth of Scotland when he became James first of England at the start of the seventeenth century) We had a hankering for cattle and sheep rustling not to mention bawdy goings on. Today, we restrict our unreasonable behaviour to watching our football team who run around for ninety minutes dressed in black and white stripes and to the uninitiated must look like a herd of Zebra on speed!

Will try to figure out how to post some photos of my watches which are mostly vintage in due course.

It's great to find like minded nut cases interested in watches. Most of my 'normal' mates don't understand. They think I'm in need of Psychiatric help. Either that or hypnosis. Can you get 'patches' to cure this affliction?

But then again every man needs a hobby. I'm reminded of that well known American (whose name escapes me for the moment) who said that ' A man without a hobby is like an empty sardine can'---Poetic don't you think---and philosophical in the extreme.

I'm only disappointed that watch collecting isn't listed in this authoritative guide:-

http://artofmanlines...-manly-hobbies/

Regards,

Jim

Edited by jimsusan

scorpion

G'day Mate, Huan Ying, Velkommen, Welkom, Bienvenue, Willkommen, Benvenuto, Dzieñ dobry, and Welcome.

The best advice most people here will give is to buy only from the Trusted Dealers because they are trusted and they deal in watches!

This place may well cost you a lot of money but stick with the trusted dealers and you will get a lot for that money.

And read, read , read - its all in the threads

ENJOY.

dalboy

Very nice first post..

Your gonna fit right in here..all the nuts in one place..like to see pics of your gens..

Dal.....

graham47

Oh my Jim.

You know the rules, you can't be a Yorkshireman just because you've lived here for 27 years!!

nunu78

Welcome Jim, hope u enjoy ur stay here and for the Omega rep info all your Pms should go to the jeffw69, who is reading this thread at this very moment :)

conx

Cmon - first you let us think you are a Yorkie, and now it turns out you're a Geordie - not sure which is worse (or better :)) - can't understand a word either of you say, so all the same to me I guess. :lol: