Hazz

new movement release screw issue.

Wiz

Nice! ;)

Hazz

Nice! ;)

thanx

10:10 Watch Repair

I've been told it shouldn't be tight, so I screw untill I feel resistance and then I unscrew a little, maybe half a quarter of a turn.

As tight as any screw in the movement. The screw has a non-threaded portion and a lip on it. It's designed so tightening won't affect the set lever operation.

When tightening a set lever screw be sure to move the detent from winding to setting a few times and check for tightness. Not tightening enough may cause the stem to pull out later.

Hazz

Is the pin type system much the same to fix ?

RichardMiami

Well done!

The press to release set lever is far more frustrating and more prone to failure when reinstalling the stem.

The parts are the same, but the set lever has a pin staked onto it, rather than a hole for a screw.

Hazz

Cool, will give it a bash then, thanx yet again.

Hazz

thinking outloud, I will need to remove date wheel.

onionbag

Good looking job mate. ;)

Wiz

I've been told it shouldn't be tight, so I screw untill I feel resistance and then I unscrew a little, maybe half a quarter of a turn.

As tight as any screw in the movement. The screw has a non-threaded portion and a lip on it. It's designed so tightening won't affect the set lever operation.

When tightening a set lever screw be sure to move the detent from winding to setting a few times and check for tightness. Not tightening enough may cause the stem to pull out later.

Thanks mate, don't know if you're aware of it but I really value your opinion.

The thing is, I discussed this particular point with several watchmakers and had conflictings views. In the end I went for the point of view of the one I usually listen. He graduated from one of the best watchmaking school in the world and has been kind of a mentor for me, but considering how many conflicting opinions I've heard, including yours, I'm tempted to say maybe there is no right answer.

Thanks mate, don't know if you're aware of it but I really value your opinion.

The thing is, I discussed this particular point with several watchmakers and had conflictings views. In the end I went for the point of view of the one I usually listen. He graduated from one of the best watchmaking school in the world and has been kind of a mentor for me, but considering how many conflicting opinions I've heard, including yours, I'm tempted to say maybe there is no right answer.

Definitely not to contradict you, just offering my experience.

You can test it out on a spare movement and see no matter how tight you get the set lever screw, the threads will bottom out before the lever gets tight to the mainplate (i.e. stops working correctly.)

That said, all bets are off with some of the rep movements.

Oh, and I built a watch for my brother long ago and didn't tighten the set lever enough. Eventually (about 6 months later) his stem started pulling out.

OK, last post.

The ETA spec for the 6497 set lever screw is 1 Ncm

For comparison, most bridge screws are 1.3 Ncm

So while it's a little lighter torque than the larger bridge screws, it's meant to be tightened.

Take that WOSTEP!