Sign in to follow this  
fatarms

Loose bezel on DSSD, dental floss trick, rotates both ways now

fatarms

Hi guys, Got a new DSSD and the bezel is really loose. If you even brush up against it, it spins, not even close to being tight. Other than that, it looks and works great. So, I busted out the dental floss and did a few rounds and the bezel tightened right up. However, the bezel would rotate both ways after I put the floss in there. Is that normal when using the floss trick?

myaz

There's a wire between the bezel and the watch case that acts as unidirectional clip. I can see where the floss could have compressed the wire to keep it from engaging the bezel and allow bi directional movement. May or may not be worth it to pop off the bezel, unravel, and try again.

10:10 Watch Repair

Your floss is in the way of the bezel click engaging with the teeth under the bezel.

Hard to describe really.

fatarms

Yeah, I kinda figured that was the deal. I have seen that spring bar thing under bezels in pics and I guess it kinda acts like one of the pointers on wheel of fortune, too bad the bezel spins like the wheel of fortune too :lol: Oh well, guess I can live with it.

myaz

There might be a way to superglue a thin shim stock of plastic (like from a plastic milk bottle or other real thin walled container) to the bottom of the bezel to take the play out of it.

I would lightly sandpaper the plastic for the glue to grab it, stick it on and then carve off the excess with an exacto knife using the edge of the bezel as a guide.

And then maybe it's way too much hassle if it's not your thing.

BTW, your avatar has amaaaaaazing staying power. :P

fatarms

There might be a way to superglue a thin shim stock of plastic (like from a plastic milk bottle or other real thin walled container) to the bottom of the bezel to take the play out of it.

I would lightly sandpaper the plastic for the glue to grab it, stick it on and then carve off the excess with an exacto knife using the edge of the bezel as a guide.

And then maybe it's way too much hassle if it's not your thing.

BTW, your avatar has amaaaaaazing staying power. :P

The bezel is tight against the frame, in fact I used that ribbon (not string) dental floss and had to really work to get it in there. I wonder if the spring is what's too lax?

And about the avatar, it was some comedy central cartoon or something. Dude's trying to dry his crotch with a hand dryer and says "It's like someone with a fever is yelling in my pants." :lol:

the bottom of the bezel has teeth. Anything you wedge in there has a good chance of making it not click.

fatarms

the bottom of the bezel has teeth. Anything you wedge in there has a good chance of making it not click.

Ahh, now I get it. So the floss kinda bridges the gap between the teeth. Maybe I'll try a finer thread or something from the sewing kit and see if that will be able to hug up against the case tighter and still allow the spring to engage the teeth...

Is it side to side movement or up and down you're trying to fix?

fatarms

Is it side to side movement or up and down you're trying to fix?

Just the rotation of the bezel, it's not clanking if you tap on the crystal, so it's ok up and down. It just spins very easily and the spring doesn't always catch immediately. Sometimes it will rotate clockwise a few clicks before catching.

I tried the thinner sewing thread and that didn't help either. The bezel got tighter but it rotated both ways again.

I have taken the bezel off and installed a stronger spring. It's quite an operation though.

fatarms

Yeah, I've read that here. DSSD bezels especially.

Trolex

Yeah, I've read that here. DSSD bezels especially.

I got mine off, bent the thing. Chris knows haha. I did the same thing, had the same problem.

Was it the WI special 21j?

Trolex

if it's the WI special (well, at least the first one they sent out, I think it might have been the noob factory one) then I HAD pictures on my old phone for you to show you what's under it. If it's the same watch, I can try to describe it for you. If it's not, I'll spare myself the thought :)

fatarms

It may be the same case, I'm not sure. It's from WI, but I believe it's a noob watch and it has the 2836 movement in it instead of the 21J in the special. I had the 21J special and sold it to buy this one :lol:

The watch is great aside from the bezel thing though and I guess it's a good thing that it's not something cosmetically wrong with it. I can live with it.

Luthier

Send it to Chris.