Sign in to follow this  
ceedee18

Faith, hope and charity

ceedee18

Hello all,

Well, after thinking that I had ordered a rep from a scam site (before I joined this forum) and trying to reverse the credit card transaction, would you believe the thing turns up today? It has some problems and I won't say that I am entirely happy with it but I feel a bit ashamed that I didn't have more trust. I am glad I didn't name the site I bought it on (which, of course, was not one of our trusted dealers). The problem arose, really, because the site just would not respond in any way. It said that I would receive an email and tracking number but I got neither (and it definitely has not got sorted into junk, either on my computer or at my ISP). Then no-one answered any of my queries. And the US telephone number for customer service turned out to be incomplete, so I couldn't call them, either. The watch seems to have come from Thailand, incidentally, going by the envelope. But why would anyone not send any kind of information when it would be so easy to do so? There is a tracking number on the envelope and I can type that into the Thailand post site and see that the package was lodged on 31 August and flew out on 1 September. JUst sending me that information, or ANY acknowlegment at all following the lodgment of my order, would have saved the whole problem that I can now foresee with Visa. Isn't it so often the case that problems arise from just a simple lack of communication?

The watch is a Rolex Day Date in full YG, black dial and roman numerals. Too much bling for me (or anyone) to actually wear, now I see it in the metal, but I had thought I might, so that's nobody's fault but my own. (I will post some pictures as soon as I work out how. Which won't take long, I hope.)

The positives:

- the watch is absolutely beautiful to look at (albeit a bit de trop to actually wear, as I said above);

- the weight and quality feel are a real surprise. I didn't expect it to have such a solid and impressive feel and heft;

- the engraved crown in the crystal at 6 o'clock is almost impossible to see but it IS there and you can just make it out at a particlular angle, which I like because I understand that a lot of reps have gone a bit obvious on the engtraved crown and that this is a give-away.

The negatives:

- the big one is that the day display is half way between positions, so it reads "day Sun", or "day Mon" instead of "Sunday" or "Monday". Actually, as you turn the hands past midnight, it displays the correct day until you get to about 2am, when it advances to the half-way position again. I don't know what I can do about this because it really ruins the thing in practical terms. Mind you, as I would never have the balls to wear something so ostentatious, I probably shouldn't worry about it and treat this as a learning experience. If anyone knows a fix for this problem, though, I would like to hear it.

- less important (and probably related to the problem above) is the fact that the crown does nothing in the mid position; it doesn't change the day or the date and the only way of changing either is to pull the crown right out and turn the hands. This compounds the trouble, becuase it now says the day and date are "day Sun" and "18". But its really "day Tues", of course. And if I move the hands around until the watch shows the right day, it says it's the 20th. Because there seems to be no independent way of changing either the day or the date, I am thinking I will have to wind for years to get them lined up and then do that again as soon as I come to the end of a non-31-day month. Like this one;

- the movement is a low-beat automatic. That's my fault, too, really. It was said to be a Miyota Japanese movement and if I had joined this forum and read up before I ordered, I would have known that the sweep would be a bit jerky. It's no big thing, anyway.

The cost (including shipping) was USD194.

I am eagerly awaiting a Sub and a Seamaster from Silix and an AP Royal Oak from Timeshops, so I think I may as well accept that I have the bug. As I said, I will post some pictures very soon.

Chris

ceedee18

184b16ae.jpg

234f052b.jpg

87c56337.jpg

aa3264b4.jpg

72fdb099.jpg

a597f2b2.jpg

b5b613cf.jpg

fatarms

Well, on the plus side, things will only get better from here and you'll receive more quality for your money. Welcome :)

ceedee18

Thank you.

Doesn't the mail seem to take a long time when you're looking forward to getting another watch?

Chris

Luthier

You overpaid about $100, but you're lucky- in most cases scammers don't send anything.

Play with crown in middle position both ways, if will be OK with Day.

Chavezzito

Agree with fatarms here...and you have a special function on your watch, it tells you when the sun is out :D .

Welcome and read read read!!

onionbag

Hello and welcome. Ach well, you're here now..............and anyone restrained enough to describe this watch as only "de trop" is very welcome. :D

Aren

Welcome and Congrats on the new watch.

Wear it in good health.

:)

Nisv

Hi Ceedee, welcome :)