Sign in to follow this  
conx

Will I get sent to the Gulag.....

conx

.... For not liking Pams?

I've never really seen what the fuss is with Pams. So instead of being a nun-believer forever I decided to buy myself a cheapie. I picked up the Pam320 from Tony's Crazy Sale.

P1020331_zps623f370e.jpg

The problem is, I'm still not feeling the love.

Is there something wrong with me - can I be cured... or should I just get me hat and coat and find another hobby?

I throw myself at your mercy in the hope of finding out why the whole Pam "thing" has passed me by.

onionbag

Komrade, report to the Komissar at the nearest train station.................remember to bring a cabbage, a warm coat and a shovel.

Cyril_Clunge

Not just you.

I like my 318 and I want a 127 but I'm left cold by any of the chronos or subs, don't even like ones with date windows!

Luthier

PAMs... overrated big chunks of the metal, mostly copying itself. Yeah... there's 4-5 nice models, rest - all the same.

Corv99

I was the oppostie..... I was a bit 'Meh' whatever in the begining and had a one from Thailand that I quite liked

but when I saw some close up, and got the beginners 111 it all changed for me..... the solid materials,simple classic look of them, won me over, the thick straps too.

I like chunky watches generally.....

I don't like all of them.... but certainly I'm going to have a few long term keepers

amuthon

Buy a nice strap and throw the rep croc in the bin...

62575496_zps5dccf53e.jpg

Balad1

To the gulag with you Comrade for not loving Pams.

Commie Bastard!

LOL

Distinct

PAMs... overrated big chunks of the metal, mostly copying itself. Yeah... there's 4-5 nice models, rest - all the same.

Exactly. 111, 177, 212 and that's about it for me. Not even the 005 because you might as well have the more interesting 111.

onzenuub

Pams are ugly.

conx

I think it is the oversize face that put's me off. It seems to dominate the watch too much. I agree about copying itself, I never know how you can tell one from another, they all look much the same to me.

nlr237.gif

Luthier

No, no...

090, 253, 029, 224, 111, that's it.

conx

Are we playing Panerai bingo ?

If so - HOUSE

Luthier

62575496_zps5dccf53e.jpg

Some people collect buttons... and matchboxes...

:D

amuthon

62575496_zps5dccf53e.jpg

Some people collect buttons... and matchboxes...

:D

even heard about guitars :P

Luthier

Not me. Hard to believe - but I can't afford my own guitar.

:P

UmpaHimself

I like them quite a bit but they do tend to look similar. Not a fan of they're chronos but 005, 111 & 243 I am fond of. I couldn't see myself having more than two in the collection.

fatarms

I bought the 47mm 127 fiddy just for the size and the I dig it, I also got the Arktos 186 GMT because it looked different with the compass point bezel, other than that, I don't know that I would buy another Panerai. Then again, when I started this hobby, I didn't want any of them :lol: So I guess that could change.

NCRich

M2M sales. I'm sure many others do not share you opinion. :lol:

conx
M2M sales. I'm sure many others do not share you opinion. :lol:

Yep.

Luthier

Yup. M2M is full of PAMs.

:P

conx
:rofl:

Crusader

So are we going to sacrifice conx as a first member for Cyril to ban/gulag? :D

Just joking... actually I was the same as you when I got my first Pam. I liked it, wore it a few times (because it was a new watch), but after a month or two, I kinda left it lying there and I always picked up another watch, it didn't called me to put it on the wrist.

But now, after a year, I kinda got into Pams. Now I want 111, 029, PVD one etc. It's weird, but it's troo.

Mark9117

.... For not liking Pams?

I've never really seen what the fuss is with Pams. So instead of being a nun-believer forever I decided to buy myself a cheapie. I picked up the Pam320 from Tony's Crazy Sale.

P1020331_zps623f370e.jpg

The problem is, I'm still not feeling the love.

Is there something wrong with me - can I be cured... or should I just get me hat and coat and find another hobby?

I throw myself at your mercy in the hope of finding out why the whole Pam "thing" has passed me by.

You're right. It's a generic, overrated hunk of horological cruft. You don't want to wear it. You don't even want it in your house.

Send me a pm and I'll give you a shipping address where it can be safely disposed of.

There is no time to lose on this. Every minute you own it, you lose a little bit of your soul. I can help.

:giggle:

Member X

I had never even heard of Panerai before joining rep forums. Has anyone in the Real World heard of PAMs? That's why they are a good stealth watch - you can wear a Fiddy and people just think "Big watch" not "12 grand strapped to his wrist" lol

The designs are so clean and uncluttered, such simple shapes, yet put together in a way that somehow holds your interest and gaze long after purchase.

And all the different permutations (SS, Ti, PVD, DLC, Ceramic, sandwich, sausage, display CB, closed CB, normal, destro, handwind, automatic...) appeal to men's inbuilt collector instinct (like those who collect books, magazine series, train sets, cigarette cards, etc) so they have a winning marketing formula.

I can't resist 44mm handwinds despite them looking mostly the same :lol: and the 47mm versions call to me too, but less so. Autos seem wrong somehow... :Whistle:

I think everyone 'gets' PAMs after a while, it's just a case of finding what calls to you loudest :) And if you're not sure of one you have bought, ditch the crap rep strap and get it on a super-soft strap to transform it from rarely worn to regular rotation piece :)

myaz

The big PAMs are too big, some say they look just fine on small wrists, I think people just get used to the look, just like people used to think bell bottomed pants, afros and chops looked good. But for now, big watches are the style.