Sign in to follow this  
moey

All these watches are for old men!

wat44

Omega IMO

moey

another question - what do I look for if I want one of those seconds hands to be a continuous moving one, instead of ticking? Are they common in any model/brand?

fatarms

another question - what do I look for if I want one of those seconds hands to be a continuous moving one, instead of ticking? Are they common in any model/brand?

Check this out, it will answer your questions about movements:

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=6930

Diego_UK

A quick answer would be in general, quartz watches tick, mechanical (automatic, kinetic, manual, etc) will sweep. However, I would highly recommend checking out fatarms' post above for more in-depth info.

aoeu

Haha, hi.

Don't get all defensive, the title is only an icebreaker. I have a question related to though; what types of watches would a 19 year old wear? It would seem weird to bust out a rolex while at the local McD's (not that i eat there, but you get the point). What would you recommend I check out at my age? My only preferences is it's not rainbow-flashy colourful, and that it is not too, too chunky.

Advice?

The best watch for you is the one you like the best. Screw society's 'rules' for what is 'acceptable' to the masses and what isn't. You are your own person; there is no need to suppress that to get the approval of the rabble. At any rate, I would suggest one of these: http://dappered.com/2012/01/in-person-the-new-timex-automatic/ Only USD$140.00, so it should fit your budget quite nicely.

aoeu

That's an automatic movement. Quartzes tick; autos don't. If you want a smooth sweep, look for a watch with a good automatic movement. Sea-Gull makes some good ones; as does Miyota and ETA. ETAs are too spendy for what you get - the only reason why they cost so much is so the companies that buy them can claim their watches have a Swiss movement. Do your homework and buy accordingly. Don't be fooled by fancy labels - yeah, they USED to be worth big money, but mass production has become so good and so cheap, there is no longer any legitimate need to drop several thousand dollars when the same quality can be had for just a few hundred. Same story with SWISS MADE - used to matter; not anymore.

Stick around - there's plenty more info to be had.

James.

Go buy a Seiko or citizen

Age has nothing do do with wrist wear,

If you ever have to stop and think "I don't know if I can pull of wearing this watch" you immediately have admitted defeat, failed, don't even bother. Think about it like this, if you were wealthy enough to buy a Gen at 19, you'd never think twice about where you wore it so why should it be any different with a rep? If you want to pass of a rep as gen you need confidence you obviously lack from needing to ask this question at all

The whole pretending a rep is a Gen is another can of worms all together.

I stand buy my original piece of advice, a low level Gen will suit you infinitely better then a rep until you change your mindset. Or a Mickey mouse watch.

And if you want to be a smart arse to members here like Richard, you'll find the number of people wanting to help you and give you free advice diminish exponentially.

YoungGPS

Tags may be a good option for your generation.

jeffw69
:picard2:

B5GLX

G-shock or Seiko/Citizen diver. When you start your career (as long as it's not delivering newspapers or flipping burgers) graduate to an Omega Planet Ocean.

RichardMiami

Very well put James. It is precisely what I was trying to tell him with my posts... if a guy my age (I am 97 years old) can wear Mickey Mouse and Marvin the Martian watches.. not to mention Mao [there is an M theme here.. hmmm] then a 19 year old can wear anything he likes...

except maybe Patek..

or Piaget.....

but thats it!

;)

James.

Very well put James. It is precisely what I was trying to tell him with my posts... if a guy my age (I am 97 years old) can wear Mickey Mouse and Marvin the Martian watches.. not to mention Mao [there is an M theme here.. hmmm] then a 19 year old can wear anything he likes...

except maybe Patek..

or Piaget.....

but thats it!

;)

Wow, you're in pretty good shape for someone of 97. You don't look a day over 84!

:lol:

UmpaHimself

Bell & Ross

rkd8E.jpg

Luthier

how long does it take for a watch to appear on the replica market? The new http://burberry.com/...ORE_THE-BRITAIN look like sex

If THIS crap is sex to you - I feel pity for your sex life.

Now, YOU can go, and read our threads for a week or two, then you'll know some things about "ticking".

rickdangerous

A Swatch?

arcticarcher

Tags may be a good option for your generation.

I was going to say Tags too... but just look the part and you can pull off any brand really

moey

If THIS crap is sex to you - I feel pity for your sex life.

my friend was in my ear and for want of better words I just typed that down. Besides, if this looks bad to you:

2012_TP_BRITAIN_CATALOGUE_PACKSHOTS_MEDIUM_09.jpg

no-one's forcing you to wear it! But I'll take your opinion on board.

Has anyone had experiences where they bought a watch that was too thick/chunky for their wrist, or is a 'get over it' experience?

fatarms

To be honest, that ^ watch looks like a Patek Philippe Nautilus rip off.

Abagnale

To be honest, that ^ watch looks like a Patek Philippe Nautilus rip off.

indeed, but it also has some influence from the ap ro ;-) must be a hommage to gerald genta...

cheers

Luthier

Buuurrrrrrrrrrberrrrryyy...

:rofl:

MW1

Sometimes... I wear this one:

CameraZOOM-20120406153033630.jpg

I believe I encountered this watch myself on my first post :D. Nothing wrong with a fun watch Moey.

Higs

Dare I say that I like that Burberry watch too, apart from the fact that it says 'Burberry' on it.

p.s. TAG is a good recommendation for a 19yo. On a business trip to Aus a while ago, a friend asked me to pick (a gen) one up in Changi airport for his son's 21st birthday. The lad was thrilled with it and has worn it well ever since.

Edited by Higs

hnic

prob cause it looks like a pp

Higs

prob cause it looks like a pp

yes but, no but.....

would it be heresy to say that, apart from the fact that it says 'Burberry' on it, I prefer this to the Nautilus, particularly the black one with PR.