Sign in to follow this  
tc670207

TC Bezel Assembly - Bump In the Road, and Solution

tc670207

I bumped into a problem while I was assembling the LV Type 1 for the RG pre-ordered members.

Just when I started with batch 2 bezel assembly, I encounter one that as soon as I installed the bezel insert, the whole bezel assembly seized. I know some members mentioned this when they were installing Clark inserts. I tried that and I concluded they didn't make it because they didn't use proper tools. You just can't use your bare hands to install the insert. You will bend the insert. That was my thought.

This is what I use to install bezel insert onto bezel assembly - Horotec press tool:

IMG_1140.jpg

It's a great tool! I installed countless bezel inserts to TC Subs since the beginning I picked up this hobby, never a problem.

Now, it is different this time because TC LV batch 2 bezel assembly should be the same to batch 1, but not. I couldn't get it work after I installed TC LV insert the other day. I tried another and failed again, then another and failed yet once again. I ended up installing 10. Among the 10, only 4 of the insert has enough clearance to the retaining ring and turns smoothly. 1 stops in the middle, turning just halfway through. The rest 5 just seized up. Something is wrong! I had to seek a friend's help to get me scans to figure out what's the problem.

Here's how the insert should get a clearance to the retaining ring when installed - notice the 0.05 mm clearance between bezel insert and retaining ring?

IMG_1131.jpg

This is how 60% of my batch 2 bezel assembly fitted with gen spec bezel insert blanks:

IMG_1132.jpg

There should be a 0.05 mm clearance. Somehow most of my batch 2 retaining rings were made too thick or too tall. If a insert is fitted in the bezel assembly, they jammed.

I manually examined the whole batch to pick out the ones made too thick or too tall. I also had to work on my seller to get him to acknowledge the problem so he will make me good, per spec, replacement retaining rings. Those two tasks took me a lot of time. Apologies of delays to members who placed orders.

Now I can think of the question you want to ask me:

"If I'm installing a gen insert on a TC LV Sub Type 2, the one that comes without your green LV bezel insert. Is it going to seize up the bezel assembly?"

My answer is: If it is gen insert for 16610, I guarantee you will get a good, tight, and works properly fit. If you are installing a Clark, you may have to sand off the Clark a little bit. If you are installing a coming TC gen spec bezel insert, you will get a perfect smooth fit as well.

This is what I'm doing for all the members who order Type 2 or no insert Subs from me. I'm installing TC gen spec bezel insert blank on each bezel assembly I receive from my seller, test turning it, make sure it gets a smooth turn, then remove the blank from the bezel assembly.

This is my current stupid and simple solution to make sure each TC Sub bezel assembly can perfectly house a gen 16610 insert.

IMG_1141.jpg

I would recommend members who wants to install a gen bezel insert on TC Subs to use a press tool or seek help from our trusted modders on boards. DON'T DO IT WITH YOUR BARE HANDS!

If you ask me if I could do it with my bare hands like showed in the video?

My answer is "yes". But bear in mind I've been assembling these things for a while. You should at least practice on some cheap inserts before you get to work on the real thing!

Cheers to the wicked hobby!

TC

10/10/12

Amit

Great detailed update mate.

Hoping for one of the LV's ;)

All the best

solkryssare

Thanks for the info mate

NFleischer

Yes, those LV Subs are gorgeous. Keep up the good work.