Sign in to follow this  
hotch

Breitling SO winding problems

hotch

The Breitling SuperOcean I have seems to have winding problems. Yesterday I tried to find the point where it is fully winded. Normally you can feel this point.

The Breitling can be winded 100 or 200 times with no tactile progress. It also stopps from time to time. Hence I think there are problems with winding the movement.

Is there any way to figure out a solution?

Member X

Why are you handwinding an automatic movement?

Place it face down in your palm, 'swirl' it anticlockwise until it starts, then strap it on and wear it. It will then charge up with the movement from your wrist. No need to handwind!

It might have some sort of clutch mechanism that stops it from being wound past a certain point, and just releases the winding movement into wasted energy.

10:10 Watch Repair

They are made to be wound.

Place it face down in your palm, 'swirl' it anticlockwise until it starts, then strap it on and wear it. It will then charge up with the movement from your wrist. No need to handwind!

The auto winding mechanism with a few seconds of swirling will turn the ratchet wheel, maybe 1/32 of a turn or less, winding it a few times will turn it a full turn or more. If you want to put on a watch with a decent charge, handwind it.

It might have some sort of clutch mechanism that stops it from being wound past a certain point, and just releases the winding movement into wasted energy.

It definitely has a bridle which prevents the watch from being overwound and slips in the mainspring barrel. You will never wind to a full stop with an automatic.

Sorry, but, if winding the watch doesn't do it, the only way to 'figure out a solution' is to start taking it apart to find out why it has low power reserve.

Member X

Fair point... I just don't trust Clone reliability and prefer to minimise doing anything that might incur the wrath of the gods of fate! :D

Fair point... I just don't trust Clone reliability and prefer to minimise doing anything that might incur the wrath of the gods of fate! :D

And that's a fair position too.

The A7750 is the most prone to failure from handwinding, the ETA clones much less so. Usually it's because the auto winding mechanisms are not lubed properly if at all.

hotch

I am handwinding it because it stops by only wearing it.

what movement?

hotch

I guess Asian 21 J. Reg replied to my e-mail. I will send him the watch so that his watchsmith can have a look on it